Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:01:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Collinsworth on Josh Allen
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Collinsworth on Josh Allen  (Read 4241 times)
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2023, 07:56:46 pm »

Is it?

OT is the ultimate pressure situation.

Tallying an overall number doesn't make sense.  Mahomes was blowing people out for years, so there weren't a lot of close games to choose from.

I'm surprised to see you defend Allen being good in the crunch.  I have felt just the opposite is true, but I respect your opinion.   Allen looks rattled to me at the end of games when things are close.

Not only that, did anyone see him crying to the refs on the very 1st play of the Giants game? Allen and Diggs get like emotional menstruating little girls when shit doesn't go their way.

And if I see anymore of those stupid "I am him" clips of Diggs on NFL network, I'm gonna set my god damn TV on fire. WTF does that even mean? Is it some kind of new hip catchphrase for idiots or something?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2023, 07:57:22 pm »

Devil's advocate throwing spitballs here... but what is the difference between a QB choking in the 5 minute OT period, or choking in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter of a tie game?

Hmmmm...

There isn't.  One is just more easily measurable with the data I have available to me.

I don't know Josh Allen's history in tie games with 5 minutes left.  All OTs are, by definition, tied.

I drink your milkshake!
AQNOR

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 11:29:50 am »

Devil's advocate throwing spitballs here... but what is the difference between a QB choking in the 5 minute OT period, or choking in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter of a tie game?

Hmmmm...

Or even more pressure.... choking in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter when your team is down one score.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2023, 08:38:00 am »

Tallying an overall number doesn't make sense.  Mahomes was blowing people out for years, so there weren't a lot of close games to choose from.
Josh Allen hasn't won many games? He's 56-27 in his career and if he would have sat out as a rookie like Mahomes that stat would look even better. Not counting rookie years Allen is winning at 71.8%, Mahomes is winning at 80%. A lot of blow outs in there. I'm not saying that Allen is Mahomes, I'm just saying that 0-5 in OT could just be an anomoly. In my opinion it is. He's pretty good the rest of the time.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 08:46:56 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2023, 08:48:50 am »

Josh Allen hasn't won many games?

I don't see anyone saying anything like this at all.  Where are you getting that?

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2023, 08:56:26 am »

I don't see anyone saying anything like this at all.  Where are you getting that?
Your quote was "Mahomes was blowing people out for years, so there weren't a lot of close games to choose from". Maybe you should go look at all the game logs of Allen's games and not just his OT games and make sure you look at not just his passing stats, but his running stats which are equally as impressive. There's plenty of blowouts in there as well. I think you might be just a bit biased on your opinion of Allen. Maybe because he plays in the same division as the Dolphins? Just maybe? I have a lot of respect for Josh Allen and I watched that game that Collinsworth announced and I didn't think twice about what he was saying about Allen. Just perspective I guess.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 09:01:33 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2023, 09:18:01 am »

Ok, if I must, how about we look at just those 5 OT games for Josh Allen.

His first OT loss was a playoff game at Houston. The Bills were driving for the game winning FG when the center gets called for an illegal Blindside block for a 15 yard penalty on 3rd down which made it 3rd and 24 and knocked them out of potential FG range. Buf is forced to punt and Houston wins with a FG on the next series.

His 2nd OT loss was against TB and Tom Brady. Allen had the ball 1 time and didn't make a first down and they punted to Brady who drove for a TD.

His 3nd OT loss was another playoff game at KC where his offense never saw the field.

His 4th OT loss was against the Vikings. Vikings got the ball first and kicked a FG. Allen was picked off on the next series throwing into the endzone trying to win the game when they were within easy FG range to tie it.

His 5th OT loss was against the Jets this year. Allen played bad the whole game with 3 picks. Allen had the ball in OT first and his offensive line commits a false start to back them up 1st and 15. On 3rd and 12 Allen can't find Diggs and they are forced to punt which the Jets return for a TD.

Make of that what you will.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 09:35:22 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2023, 10:47:00 am »

So at least three of those 5 were directly the fault of the QB...?

- Allen had the ball 1 time and didn't make a first down = choke
- Allen was picked off on the next series throwing into the endzone = choke
- Allen played bad the whole game with 3 picks. = triple choke

I've seen lots of memes and jokes around that if Allen can't find Diggs, he runs.  Sure that's probably an exaggeration, but...
Diggs has 66 targets this season, more than Gabe Davis and Dawson Knox COMBINED.

I'd consider - the same way people give Tyreek all Tua's credit - who's the real superstar in Buffalo?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2023, 11:25:44 am »

I don't think this is my analysis.  It's just the general narrative.  It might not be the full story or there might be reasons for it, but here's a link to a Buffalo newspaper defending Allen in the face of these claims that were starting to mount that he wasn't good in the crunch.

When the article was written in 2022, Allen had lost 7 one-score games in a row.  And had never won in OT.
https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/9/29/23377661/buffalo-bills-one-score-game-loss-streak

Also, this is just anecdotal, but I frequent the NFL subreddits for teams when I watch their games and their own fans love Josh, but definitely criticize him for not doing well when things get close.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2023, 11:51:39 am »

Funny, because it was a story last week about how many games the Chargers lost by one score since Justin Herbert took over.  Apparently its most of their losses, have been by one score or less.  Which might seem good, until you consider how they seem like winnable games that they just can't close out.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2023, 04:04:18 pm »

Maybe it's Buffalo's defense that chokes in close games and not Allen. They did a complete choke job today after Josh Allen brought them back to take the lead. All they had to do was hold against the lowly New England offense with 2 minutes left and couldn't do it.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2023, 04:07:32 pm »

So at least three of those 5 were directly the fault of the QB...?

- Allen had the ball 1 time and didn't make a first down = choke
- Allen was picked off on the next series throwing into the endzone = choke
- Allen played bad the whole game with 3 picks. = triple choke

I've seen lots of memes and jokes around that if Allen can't find Diggs, he runs.  Sure that's probably an exaggeration, but...
Diggs has 66 targets this season, more than Gabe Davis and Dawson Knox COMBINED.

I'd consider - the same way people give Tyreek all Tua's credit - who's the real superstar in Buffalo?
I think you could make the argument that all 5 of those losses are on the defense/special teams. I don't think Allen's defense has a hold in any of those OT losses.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 04:11:50 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2023, 07:03:50 pm »

Collinsworth is the worst of all announcers and there are some bad ones. If he’s calling a game it’s on mute or Spanish.

lol, yes he is terrible.  He's great doing a game if it's for the Swiftees.  I hated Tony Romo initial, just talked too damn much, but he knows what's going on most of the time.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2023, 07:14:58 pm »

Josh Allen is a legit top 5ish QB.  He's not perfect he's going to have bad games.  He's still early in his career.  Announcers like Collinsworth are going to read the script to try and keep the so so fans interested in the game.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2023, 08:59:19 am »

And just like that here's a column from Deadspin about how poor Collinsworth is.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/we-need-to-talk-about-cris-collinsworth/ar-AA1j6txm?ocid=hpmsn&pc=MDDR&cvid=49f48efc31614648a7cb0b52a27d9cf1&ei=29
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray