Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 06:20:34 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Assuming Tannehill is cut, who would like to see Miami sign or draft?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Assuming Tannehill is cut, who would like to see Miami sign or draft?  (Read 35932 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: January 07, 2019, 11:21:18 am »

I'm going with Nick Foles at this point. I think he's an upgrade over Tannehill that still has a number of good years left in him that may not break the bank. I don't like a single other option in either free agency or the draft at this point.

Couple of articles to peruse to help with your decision.

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/the-5-best-fits-for-nick-foles-in-2019.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article223734370.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:26:47 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:32:40 am »

Definitely NOT Nick Foles. We don't and won't have a team to win nor a budget to spend on high dollar free agents.  Spending that kind of money on him is a waste right now.  If we were a QB away then I'd say yes but not only are we not ... we are going to be getting rid of some of the talent we currently have.

I think we go with David Fales and Luke Falk. The worst thing we can do next year is to win 6-9 games next year while we are trying to rebuild.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:53:45 am »

If we are really going to blow it up in 2019, then we are probably going with a Fales or Fitzpatrick. Cheap QBs who aren't great but good enough where the fans won't accuse the team of pulling a Suck for Luck. Of course, that's if Fales resigns but I feel he will if he knows he has a true shot of starting.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 12:53:20 pm »

Lol ... within an hour of me posting the above comment Donno and Freido on wqam said basically the same thing about Tannehill. They said by keeping him you essentially are going to be a middle of the road team with no shot of moving up the draft. Shooting yourself in the foot kind of thing

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 01:01:27 pm »

I actually wouldn't mind the Foles thing for a couple years.  He reminds me of a (slightly) more talented Jay Fiedler.  I think some folks are cutting Miami short in the talent department on offense; it's not as bleak as it seems.  It was really more scheme and coaching (and injuries) versus talent.

At 29 years old I'd rather take a swipe at Foles than, say Flacco.  There is something to be said for leadership under center (and leadership who knows how to win).

If someone can point me in the direction of a potential dark horse in the draft, great. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 04:08:46 pm »

I can't see a new coach coming in and going with Fales. It just ain't happening. That's like coming in and saying sure I'll coach for 1 or 2 years go 2-30 so you you can fire me just when I start to get some players. No coach is gonna do that. I'm not even sure that Ross would WANT that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 04:10:30 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 04:21:13 pm »

I can't see a new coach coming in and going with Fales. It just ain't happening. That's like coming in and saying sure I'll coach for 1 or 2 years go 2-30 so you you can fire me just when I start to get some players. No coach is gonna do that. I'm not even sure that Ross would WANT that.

I think it depends what Ross wants; and tells the Coach he is hiring.  Some interviews with Ross seem to indicate he is okay with a suck for Luck season in 2019, so they can draft their QB in 2020.  In that case they may use Fales or some other low cost QB for 2019.  If Ross wants to win now, then they either have to pay Nick Foles, or move up in the 2019 draft to get the best available QB now.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 04:56:49 pm »

I actually wouldn't mind the Foles thing for a couple years.  He reminds me of a (slightly) more talented Jay Fiedler.  I think some folks are cutting Miami short in the talent department on offense; it's not as bleak as it seems.  It was really more scheme and coaching (and injuries) versus talent.

At 29 years old I'd rather take a swipe at Foles than, say Flacco.  There is something to be said for leadership under center (and leadership who knows how to win).

If someone can point me in the direction of a potential dark horse in the draft, great. 

Agreed, our receiving is solid and we got some good running backs. O-Line talent is solid on the left and right, better coaching means better play from them all. Still, we will be stuck in the 6-9 win range and it's time to go for 2 wins or 12 wins. 2 wins seems more likely so let Ryan go and start Fales.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 05:41:03 pm »

Agreed, our receiving is solid and we got some good running backs. O-Line talent is solid on the left and right, better coaching means better play from them all. Still, we will be stuck in the 6-9 win range and it's time to go for 2 wins or 12 wins. 2 wins seems more likely so let Ryan go and start Fales.

I cannot imagine Parker is here next season. He has a cap hit of $9.4 million all of which can be saved by cutting him. Stills could easily be gone as well. The team could save over $4 million in cap space by cutting him. I think you either go for some young receivers to go with your 2020 quarterback, or you break the bank on a really good one. Parker and Stills don't fit either mold.

http://www.thedolphinsmakemecry.com/forums/index.php?topic=25553.0
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 06:32:50 pm »

Mark Sanchez 😈😈😈

Butt Fumble is my all time favorite play. 

In all seriousness I think the Dolphins should keep Tanny unless they think Fales is ready for the stating gig.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 08:53:32 pm »

If we are going to cut Tannehill & pick up a QB off another team, the guy I would trade for would be Derek Carr if the Raiders are willing to deal (with maybe Reshad Jones as part of the trade?). He was genuinely elite before his injury (and before Gruden took all of his best targets away), and has a quick enough release to cope with our dodgy offensive line.

I do rate both Foles and Flacco (I guess Superbowl MVP performances and form in those playoffs leading up influence that thinking), but I doubt either would be able to flourish under the relentless defensive rush they will inevitably be facing wearing a Dolphins uniform.

That said, I would be very surprised if we went down that path. If we are going the total rebuild as Ross indicated in his comments when Gase got fired, I would expect us to either draft a QB this year, or get a cheap and nasty castoff to well and truly bottom out next year and then draft one in 2020...

Then again this is Ross we are talking about, seriously who knows WTF he is thinking?
Alwaysdullfan

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 01:58:08 am »

I'm going with Nick Foles at this point. I think he's an upgrade over Tannehill that still has a number of good years left in him that may not break the bank. I don't like a single other option in either free agency or the draft at this point.

Couple of articles to peruse to help with your decision.

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/the-5-best-fits-for-nick-foles-in-2019.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article223734370.html

First of all, Nick Foles proved he is a better QB than RT but Miami is not ready nor should pay him the type of money he might be asking. Foles has looked very good playing for the Eagles. First when he was there when he got drafted and now 2nd time around. And thats the point im gonna make...I def dont think he would be as successful in Miami as he is in Philly. The Head Coach, play calling, coaches and players all together  are a perfect fit for him and in order for him to be just as good elsewhere he would need the similar type of o-line, receivers and coaches he has now. He didn't play good when he got traded to the Rams, and obviously he had to be a back-up with the Chiefs. He said it himself he felt like he wanted to be done with football and walk away cuz it wasnt fun anymore. Therefore, as good as he might be, its too risky for Miami unless they can get him for a good price, where they still would need to change the offense around him and maybe bring in hi fomer QB coach as an OC.  Makes more sense to bring someone that can fit our system (whoever its gonna be running the offense now I guess) and is much cheaper than Ryan Tannehill so RT's release and new cap space room would actually be used in the proper way and resign JuWan James, bringing in new QB free agent young and cheap enough and possibly making an upgrade at G/C specifically. By not keeping DeVante Parker also helps us do that. Basically, I hope they are smart enough to see if they can bring a good veteran on a short term deal for ex. like 2 yrs. and as a back-up either keep one of the current ones (Fales, Falk) or drafting one you like that has a good arm and scrambling ability.
Knowing that next year's draft will have much better QBs, its not too big of a risk, plus who knows maybe it will work out. By making major upgrades at D-line specifically, and adding depth at O-line or replacing one or two should be our #1 priority and I hope it will be.
...to finish off, the QBs I'd strongly consider going after are Bridgewater, Sam Bradford  and Chase Daniel. For some reason I really think Chase Daniel can turn out to be a very good QB. Similar to J. Garappollo and others that were vack-ups to future hall of famers. Just watch some of his hghlights on Youtube plz. And im sure Miami can get them pretty cheap. And by signing a 2yr deal ur not risking much and if the plan doesnt work then u'll draft a new QB next year. With a worse record they'll be picking in top 10. I would even go as far as paying Bridgewater $12-$15 mil. a year with 18-20 mil.  guaranteed just to bring him in. By getting this Defense where it should be, adding to the o-line and be able to run the ball on offense, wont be putting all the pressure on the ne QB but the potential is def there in my opinion. He'd be cheaper than RT if Miami would stay with him.
   I'm hoping Miami will go after DEF minded coach this time and with prior HC exp. The only coach w/o prior HC exp that id hire is Vic Fangio. But if Rex Ryan took the Jets to 2 AFC title games with rookie Mark Sanchez with that philosophy, anything is possible!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 12:43:44 pm »

I def dont think he would be as successful in Miami as he is in Philly. The Head Coach, play calling, coaches and players all together are a perfect fit for him and in order for him to be just as good elsewhere he would need the similar type of o-line, receivers and coaches he has now.
Doesn't this kinda suggest though that RT is as good as Nick Foles but just doesn't have the same players, coaches etc that Foles has? In other words you think Foles would still be a down grade to RT for Miami. I'm not sure I agree. I think Foles has some things that Tannehill lacks. Maybe it's leadership qualities. Maybe it's just that he doesn't get rattled. I'm not sure what it is but he seems to find a way to win games and that's something that RT has lacked. I like RT a lot and I do see at times him able to bring the team back, but not very often. Foles I think does a better job in that regard to RT and that's kinda the reason that I think Foles might be a better QB for Miami until his replacement can be found. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Foles is necessarily going to make Miami a playoff team, they have far too many other holes to fix for that to happen, but I think if they fixed those holes then yeah I think Miami could win with Foles, but I think Miami could win with RT too if they would fix those other holes, but I don't think that's going to happen. RT is done in Miami I'm pretty convinced of that.

I'm not convinced about the other guys you mentioned, but if we could get them cheap then I would do it. Foles is the only one that I would be willing to pay starting QB money for in FA. The others I'd have to get the blue light special on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:52:07 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 02:08:09 pm »

I think Tannehill is more athletically gifted and has a better arm, but Foles is a better and quicker decision maker.  I think Foles can read a defense and go through his progressions better.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 11:33:18 am »

Nick Foles is the best passer in the NFL when pressured

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/10/nick-foles-is-the-best-passer-in-the-nfl-when-pressured/

He would have been the league MVP on our team, lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray