Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:27:14 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Ron Desantis does it again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ron Desantis does it again  (Read 255 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: April 29, 2024, 12:46:11 pm »

He signed a law combat retail theft, in the midst of an already historically low crime rate in the state of Florida

He signed a bill to give funding to Autism support in Florida.

Who says the GOP does not care about mental health?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 01:43:57 pm »

Shopping lifting is a felony in Florida.  The much more widespread and massive problem of wage theft, is almost completely unenforced. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 04:16:25 pm »

Shopping lifting is a felony in Florida.  The much more widespread and massive problem of wage theft, is almost completely unenforced. 

A lot more things than that not being enforced. I see jaywalking on a daily basis. I mean ... why do we even have laws?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 05:32:43 pm »

Shoplifting is a felony?  Is that true?  That seems excessive.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 05:54:36 pm »

Shoplifting is a felony?  Is that true?  That seems excessive.
The new law makes it so anyone who commits up to three retail thefts in a year can be convicted of a felony.

Typically, the severity of your charges and penalties will depend on the amount of property you were accused of stealing or attempting to steal.

Less than $100 worth of property: As a second degree misdemeanor, this crime can carry fines up to $500 and up to 60 days in jail.
Between $100 and $300: This is considered a first degree misdemeanor and carries up to $1,000 in fines and up to 1 year in jail. You can also be charged with a first degree misdemeanor if you have previous theft charges.
Between $300 and $20,000: This can be charged as a third degree felony and can result in up to $5,000 in fines and up to 5 years in prison.
Between $20,000 and $100,000: As a second degree felony, this carries up to $10,000 in fines and up to 15 years in prison.
For multiple offenses, you may face even more severe penalties. Furthermore, merchants may have the right to sue a shoplifter, resulting in additional fines and damages.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Denver2

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 06:11:42 pm »

The new law makes it so anyone who commits up to three retail thefts in a year can be convicted of a felony.

Typically, the severity of your charges and penalties will depend on the amount of property you were accused of stealing or attempting to steal.

Less than $100 worth of property: As a second degree misdemeanor, this crime can carry fines up to $500 and up to 60 days in jail.
Between $100 and $300: This is considered a first degree misdemeanor and carries up to $1,000 in fines and up to 1 year in jail. You can also be charged with a first degree misdemeanor if you have previous theft charges.
Between $300 and $20,000: This can be charged as a third degree felony and can result in up to $5,000 in fines and up to 5 years in prison.
Between $20,000 and $100,000: As a second degree felony, this carries up to $10,000 in fines and up to 15 years in prison.
For multiple offenses, you may face even more severe penalties. Furthermore, merchants may have the right to sue a shoplifter, resulting in additional fines and damages.

There’s a big difference between 300 dollars and  20k. Ridiculous.

Whale shoplifting 20k dollars anyway? Anyone who steals that much shit the company has to know about it and is just letting it accumulate to those amounts.

Did you know the #1 most shoplifted Item is baby formula?
Denver2

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 06:13:13 pm »

Autism is a neurological disorder not a mental health issue, at least on the primary, and I would need to know about how the funds are used to be able to determine if he’s doing anything good with funding, some organizations like Autism Speaks are awful
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 11:53:58 am »

Did you know the #1 most shoplifted Item is baby formula?

I have heard but never independently verified that the most commonly stolen book from bookstores is the Bible, too.  I think that's correlation, instead of causation.  Interesting factoid, though.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 01:56:59 pm »

I have heard but never independently verified that the most commonly stolen book from bookstores is the Bible, too.  I think that's correlation, instead of causation.  Interesting factoid, though.

Choice of shop lifted item can be generally attributed to one of two things.  The thief needs that specific item or it is an easily resellable item at a high price.  Baby formula checks both boxes.  But leans more towards being stolen by person needing it.

As for the bible would make sense.  I doubt it is the number one stolen book in any particular year, but all time would make tons of sense much like the bible is never the weekly or yearly best seller but is the all time best seller.

Keep in mind business often blame "shrink" that is not theft on theft, suck as paperwork errors, lost and damaged merchandise.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 05:32:53 pm »

My daughter closes for Target and she has told me about dozens of stories of shop lifting that I would never have imagined. People just filling up carts with a ton of stuff and then casually going up to the check out until they get close to the exit and then running as fast as they can with the cart for the exit. If they make it out the door, they are free because Target employees are prevented from chasing a shop lifter in the parking lot. This doesn't actually happen all that often though because 90% of the time Target is aware that people are shop lifting before they make it out of the store and they stop them before they can leave. They have constant video surveillance and when shop lifting occurs they go back and watch the tapes and they know the people who are repeat offenders and they know about them pretty much as soon as they enter the store and are watching them the whole time they are shop lifting.

Target loses a ton of money via shop lifting that they don't even bother to enforce. You know when that alarm goes off while walking out of target and you look back and they just wave you on, that's because they aren't worried about you and your $10 item that you didn't pay for on accident or maybe you did pay for it and the alarm went off on accident, it doesn't really matter, Target couldn't care less. It's the guy who's trying to walk off with thousands of dollars of merchandise they are after and yes that happens, actually it's pretty common. There are actually gangs of these people that will go into a store all at once and they'll all try to shop lift at the same time. Target might stop 90% of them, but if just one gets out of the door they consider that a success.

And yes Target does let you walk sometimes even when they know you are shop lifting, because if it's under say $50 or something it's not worth their trouble, but they create a file on you and so they'll let you walk with $50 a few times till you reach that $300 threshold and then they'll stop you and you are going to jail. You might get away with it for awhile, but eventually you are going to be caught and you are looking at serious consequences.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 11:45:32 am »

While Target no doubt loses merchandise to theft, the amount of wage theft they commit without reprocusions dwarfs their loses.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 02:59:57 pm »

While Target no doubt loses merchandise to theft, the amount of wage theft they commit without reprocusions dwarfs their loses.
Just curious about your state of mind. Is there any scenario for you where liberals aren't victims and corporations are not evil?

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 03:36:56 pm »

There is no scenario in which a publicly traded corporation is not evil.  Shareholder considerations as a singular goal makes for unethical and immoral motivators for management.

Closely owned corporations are conceptually able to be moral as they have a singular owner that can exert their moral or ethical imperatives on the company.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray