Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 05:00:35 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  I think OBJ is a nothing signing.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I think OBJ is a nothing signing.  (Read 439 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 05, 2024, 12:24:03 pm »

I see people getting excited for this, but I just don't get it.

He's a name, but that's all.  He may contribute a little bit, but not only is he old and not that great, he's gonna be like the 4th option on the field.  I expect him to be competing with guys like River Cracraft.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 06:33:41 pm »

I expect he takes Cracraft's spot on the roster. I think he caught 25 balls last year. Don't expect much more from him.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 07:42:56 am »

He will easily be our #3 and even higher if one of those guys gets hurt. That's something they tried with Chosen last year but it never worked out. If you look at his production the last few years he makes a lot of diving or ridiculous catches. Although not as fast as he once was, he's still got some speed. He's never had anyone like Tua throwing to him. It should be fun for him ... and us.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 11:44:39 am »

For the price he is a decent signing, particularly if he is receptive to mentoring.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 02:53:00 pm »

He will easily be our #3 and even higher if one of those guys gets hurt. That's something they tried with Chosen last year but it never worked out. If you look at his production the last few years he makes a lot of diving or ridiculous catches. Although not as fast as he once was, he's still got some speed. He's never had anyone like Tua throwing to him. It should be fun for him ... and us.

Huh? He had Eli Manning throwing to him; who was definitely better than Tua.

I think it's more likely that OBJ will go out with some fantom injury, than Hill or Waddle going out.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 02:56:23 pm by masterfins » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 02:55:30 pm »

I see people getting excited for this, but I just don't get it.

He's a name, but that's all.  He may contribute a little bit, but not only is he old and not that great, he's gonna be like the 4th option on the field.  I expect him to be competing with guys like River Cracraft.

I agree with you Dave.  At this point in his career I don't see him going across the middle and going up for a ball and risking injury.  There's a reason he is bouncing between teams at this point in his career.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 03:09:59 pm »

Huh? He had Eli Manning throwing to him; who was definitely better than Tua.
That's a... bad example.  Eli had success in the playoffs for sure, but he wasn't really ever a particularly impressive QB statistically, and he won exactly half of his regular season games as a starter.  The version of Eli that OBJ played with was rapidly declining and wasn't better than Tua is now.

That said, if you wanted to cite a good QB OBJ has played with, I'd go with Matt Stafford in LA, or the reigning MVP Lamar Jackson last year.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 06:11:23 pm »

That said, if you wanted to cite a good QB OBJ has played with, I'd go with Matt Stafford in LA, or the reigning MVP Lamar Jackson last year.
Stafford is pretty good and he played well with him but .... if you look at OBJs highlight reel from last year, he was doing a ton of diving and making one handed grabs behind him. As a passer Jackson pales in comparison to Tua.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 01:09:47 am »

I agree with you Dave.  At this point in his career I don't see him going across the middle and going up for a ball and risking injury.  There's a reason he is bouncing between teams at this point in his career.

See CF's comment about his highlight reel.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 05:07:57 pm »

Moreover, it seems like he and Tyreek are buddies.

There's something to be said about playing with your friends.  Happy players seem to elevate their game somehow.

That's not something he could have had on other teams.
Denver2

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2024, 03:04:46 pm »

He didn’t have a lot of catches last year but of those he did a significant amount were 3rd down conversions. I’d be happy with that as an option and I think he’s a better red zone option.

I get it’s not a huge need and maybe he’s washed and won’t contribute much but for the price I think it’s fine.

I still think he can beat most teams 3rd and 4th corners, I predict he’ll surprise you and have a pretty solid year, definitely better than last year.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2024, 03:15:01 pm »

I don't dispute what any of you guys are saying, but I'm seeing this reported from places like it's a big signing.  And we're talking about an old guy who will have a very limited role and may produce and help us, but not in a "breaking news" kind of way, as its being reported.

I drink your milkshake!
Denver2

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2024, 05:02:40 pm »

I don't dispute what any of you guys are saying, but I'm seeing this reported from places like it's a big signing.  And we're talking about an old guy who will have a very limited role and may produce and help us, but not in a "breaking news" kind of way, as its being reported.

Oh I see what you mean Dave. I really only follow some fan sites especially in the offseason and I thought most of the coverage was reasoned with the significance of the signing. I haven’t seen many say it’s a huge deal but I haven’t been following local or national press about Miami.  OBJ has his owne celebrity status outside of the NFL so people know his name gets clicks.

I hope he has a good year. If he improves our WR3 performance from last year then we are in business.

Can’t believe I’m already excited about football season

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2024, 03:43:06 pm »

its a big NAME signing for sure. 

Functionally, he has an incentive-heavy contract so he will get paid for performance.  Its low risk / high reward for the team.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2024, 10:49:09 am »

I think it's a good signing, if for no other reason that he can play an outside WR and waddle/hill can move to the slot in a 3 WR package. Something our previous #3 WRs could not do. Craycraft, Ezukama, Berrios, none of them were playing the outside with hill and waddle on the field.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray