Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:00:44 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Bulletproof vests
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Bulletproof vests  (Read 17242 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2019, 04:51:18 pm »

The end result is the same.
No the results are not the same. One specific data point is the same, someone is dead. The how and the why matters. We have laws against murder, there are no laws against dieing. I'm done discussing this. Feel free to discuss in my absence.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:00:51 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2019, 04:57:41 pm »

OK, let's stay on point:Why do we need to figure out how to stop all "intentional criminal acts" to proceed?  The problem at hand is that in a discussion about intentional homicides, people are inserting comparisons to accidental deaths.

The question at hand is not "How can we best reduce deaths in the US?" (as such a discussion would certainly involve healthcare infrastructure); the question is "How can we best reduce mass murder?" And the usual suspects are playing the same tune, which is everything from video games to drugs to single parents... but never the one thing that separates us from every other industrialized nation where this stuff almost never happens: widespread, easy access to guns.
We don't have to stop all intentional criminal acts. We're already doing a great job. As noted, violent crime in the U.S. has fallen sharply over the past quarter century. All while gun ownership has risen. The reality is that mass murder isn't the issue that you're making it out to be. It's always been there in one way or another. The fact is that people aren't going to stop killing each other.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2019, 05:00:36 pm »

Unlike the jelly-spined "family values" conservatives who have fully succumbed to a man they openly admit is brazenly immoral, on the left we try to apply our principles consistently instead of blindly cheering on our team at all times.

I can see why that would be hard to understand for the right, though.
Or maybe you have that backwards. Maybe he can think for himself and doesn't need to blindly follow the left's talking points on every topic. After all, he is a world famous astrophysicist. Who are you?

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2019, 05:07:06 pm »

No the results are not the same. One specific data point is the same, someone is dead. The how and the why matters. We have laws against murder, there are no laws against dieing. I'm done discussing this. Feel free to discuss in my absence.
Why does the how and the why matter? Yes, we have laws against murder. And in almost every case the suspect is either arrested or killed. That may not bring back the people he killed, but it's all you got.

And WTF? You're done discussing this? Are you going through menopause or something? Are you going to cry too? You people are silly...

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2019, 05:11:09 pm »

As noted, violent crime in the U.S. has fallen sharply over the past quarter century.

Oddly enough that trend started approximately 20 years after Roe v Wade became the law of the land .. odd correlation that.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2019, 05:15:44 pm »

Oddly enough that trend started approximately 20 years after Roe v Wade became the law of the land .. odd correlation that.
You people love changing the subject.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2019, 05:23:23 pm »

Or maybe you have that backwards. Maybe he can think for himself and doesn't need to blindly follow the left's talking points on every topic. After all, he is a world famous astrophysicist. Who are you?
Gee, it almost sounds like you're saying we should fall in line and not come to our own conclusion, all because some ivory tower elite professor says so.

How about this: Neil is free to come to his own conclusion, and we're free to criticize him for it.  The idea of bashing us for "eating our own alive" is ridiculous, particularly when Trump makes a mockery of the right's so-called principles on a daily basis and all you guys can say is the end justifies the means.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2019, 05:33:53 pm »

We don't have to stop all intentional criminal acts. We're already doing a great job. As noted, violent crime in the U.S. has fallen sharply over the past quarter century. All while gun ownership has risen. The reality is that mass murder isn't the issue that you're making it out to be. It's always been there in one way or another. The fact is that people aren't going to stop killing each other.
The question is, "How can we best reduce mass murders?" And your answer here is either "We can't" or "We shouldn't try."

BTW, if you don't like people "getting off the point" or "changing the subject," then you should stop inserting statistics about violent crime into a discussion about mass murder.  We aren't talking about battery, rape, or even robbery; we're talking about mass murder.  If you're going to try to twist the subject to a better narrative, you don't get to complain when we twist it just a little bit further.  Stay on topic.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2019, 05:54:34 pm »

The question is, "How can we best reduce mass murders?" And your answer here is either "We can't" or "We shouldn't try."

BTW, if you don't like people "getting off the point" or "changing the subject," then you should stop inserting statistics about violent crime into a discussion about mass murder.  We aren't talking about battery, rape, or even robbery; we're talking about mass murder.  If you're going to try to twist the subject to a better narrative, you don't get to complain when we twist it just a little bit further.  Stay on topic.
You are aware that murder and homicide rates have dropped also? Your mass murder term is statistically insignificant in overall homicide rates. Also, wouldn't factual violent crime statistics qualify as "intentional criminal acts of violence", the term you originally used in post #26?

Comparing accidents or diseases to intentional criminal acts of violence is inexplicably stupid.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:04:13 pm by pondwater » Logged

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2019, 07:06:29 pm »

I work at a healthcare facility and at a Supermarket.

I spoke to my coworkers and my supervisor today about safety.  I have a plan and they seemed to think it was good.

I wonder, do they sell bulletproof blankets?  If they did, we could keep one in our safety room.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2019, 07:45:59 am »

I work at a healthcare facility and at a Supermarket.

I spoke to my coworkers and my supervisor today about safety.  I have a plan and they seemed to think it was good.

I wonder, do they sell bulletproof blankets?  If they did, we could keep one in our safety room.
I'm not one to tell someone not to be prepared, if you think you need all of that stuff then by all means, get it.  I posted that tweet to show it's not a very common occurrence, which spiraled into a whole different discussion.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2019, 07:49:25 am »

That's a mighty big stretch.  There really is no correlation to that, even if the Vox (not credible) article you got it from says there might be.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2019, 08:45:12 am »

That's a mighty big stretch.  There really is no correlation to that, even if the Vox (not credible) article you got it from says there might be.

it's not, there is. (vox is credible .. sorry) .. and i got it from an economics journal and not from vox:

http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/DonohueLevittTheImpactOfLegalized2001.pdf
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2019, 09:06:27 am »

Unlike the jelly-spined "family values" conservatives who have fully succumbed to a man they openly admit is brazenly immoral, on the left we try to apply our principles consistently instead of blindly cheering on our team at all times.

I can see why that would be hard to understand for the right, though.
See that's the difference between your crowd and the generations that proceeded you. We don't get butt hurt when people disagree with us and are secure enough in ourselves to remain in a relationship beyond a few disagreements. There is no way many of you would have stayed on this forum if roles were reversed because you can't handle people having a different perspective on something. If you were in the minority you'd quickly bail. hahaha 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2019, 09:11:21 am »

You are aware that murder and homicide rates have dropped also? Your mass murder term is statistically insignificant in overall homicide rates. Also, wouldn't factual violent crime statistics qualify as "intentional criminal acts of violence", the term you originally used in post #26?

In Chicago, 1,517 people have been shot this year. That is 129 fewer than 2018. It's still way too many. The only people who are happy about it are the white supremacists and racists. Well maybe that and the Democratic and black leaders who pretend it isn't destroying the black community way more than random mass shootings where the white people are.   

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray