Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 11:56:41 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Phoenix Coyotes might be gone.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Phoenix Coyotes might be gone.  (Read 2051 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 17, 2023, 01:22:08 pm »

I saw a thing where their lease wasn't renewed, so they're playing in a bobo place, tried to get public funding for an arena, that failed.  Now they're kind of out of options.

Does anyone feel anything about this?

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 01:28:23 pm »

Contract them and give the Winnipeg Jets their franchise history back.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 02:21:52 pm »

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 02:22:40 pm »

Contract them and give the Winnipeg Jets their franchise history back.

And erase the glorious history of the Atlanta Thrashers? Remember that one time they made the playoffs and got swept in the 1st round?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 02:23:41 pm »

Shame they went under, but anything CT and up is Bruins country.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 03:12:15 pm »

And erase the glorious history of the Atlanta Thrashers? Remember that one time they made the playoffs and got swept in the 1st round?
No need.  Right now, the NHL history books read:

Winnipeg Jets (1972-1996)
Phoenix Coyotes (1996-2014)
Arizona Coyotes (2014-present)

Atlanta Thrashers (1999-2011)
Winnipeg Jets (2011-present)

Here's the way that it should read:

Winnipeg Jets (1972-1996)
(suspended operations, 1996-1999)
Atlanta Thrashers (1999-2011)
Winnipeg Jets (2011-present)

Phoenix Coyotes (1996-2014)
Arizona Coyotes (2014-present)

As an example of how to do this properly, this is how the NBA history books record the history of the Charlotte Hornets and New Orleans Pelicans:

Charlotte Hornets (1988-2002)
(suspended operations, 2002-2004)
Charlotte Bobcats, (2004-2014)
Charlotte Hornets (2014-present)

New Orleans Hornets (2002-2013)
New Orleans Pelicans (2013-present)

---

To me, the worst part about losing a team is losing your history.  As I've mentioned before, when I was a kid, I was originally an LA Rams fan; when the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995, not only did the team move, but the Rams history moved with them.  I'm also a Seattle Supersonics fan, and the fan experience after that move is completely different: I can still be a Sonics fan while despising the OKC Thunder, and I always have the hope that if/when Seattle gets another NBA team, the Sonics' history will be restored.  If you were a fan of the the Kansas City Kings, the San Diego Chargers, or the Vancouver Grizzlies, you have no such hope.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 03:19:30 pm »

I saw a thing where their lease wasn't renewed, so they're playing in a bobo place, tried to get public funding for an arena, that failed.  Now they're kind of out of options.

Does anyone feel anything about this?

No team should ever have public funding for a stadium or arena, it's a giant money laundering scam. The owners are all billionaires, let them pay for it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 02:00:44 pm »

No team should ever have public funding for a stadium or arena, it's a giant money laundering scam. The owners are all billionaires, let them pay for it.

While I wish this could be true, it doesn't work if the owner can go get a deal from the next city over.

Arenas cost money, but they bring money too.  And what you "give them" is usually tax breaks that you wouldn't get if they leave anyway, so it's not REALLY costing you anything.

From what I understand anyway, the Phoenix Coyotes weren't asking for a publicly funded stadium.  It was privately funded. 

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 02:16:04 am »

New Orleans Hornets (2002-2013)
New Orleans Pelicans (2013-present)

---

To me, the worst part about losing a team is losing your history.  As I've mentioned before, when I was a kid, I was originally an LA Rams fan; when the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995, not only did the team move, but the Rams history moved with them.  I'm also a Seattle Supersonics fan, and the fan experience after that move is completely different: I can still be a Sonics fan while despising the OKC Thunder, and I always have the hope that if/when Seattle gets another NBA team, the Sonics' history will be restored.  If you were a fan of the the Kansas City Kings, the San Diego Chargers, or the Vancouver Grizzlies, you have no such hope.

Too bad New Orleans didn't get their Jazz history back.  It would be nice going forward if teams had to leave their mascots/logos behind if they changed cities.  Cleveland got to keep the "Browns"  not that it was such an iconic logo, but the fans loved it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 04:03:23 am »

It would be nice going forward if teams had to leave their mascots/logos behind if they changed cities.
This should actually be a condition of receiving any public funding OR tax breaks for a stadium.
I initially posted the above, but then what do you do if the Dallas Cowboys move from Irving to Arlington, or the Golden State Warriors move from Oakland to San Francisco?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 04:06:28 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 10:49:47 am »

This should actually be a condition of receiving any public funding OR tax breaks for a stadium.
I initially posted the above, but then what do you do if the Dallas Cowboys move from Irving to Arlington, or the Golden State Warriors move from Oakland to San Francisco?

Maybe if you move within the state, nothing changes.  Or there can be mutual agreements between the state and team.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 01:54:18 pm »

WTF?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 01:57:22 pm »

The owner of the Coyotes is committed to staying in Arizona, they released a statement regarding the future of the franchise.  I don't see them giving up or moving out of Arizona unless they absolutely have no other choice...

This has been ongoing for years.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:59:24 pm by Brian Fein » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 02:33:15 pm »

Maybe another city in Arizona will host them.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2023, 08:11:49 pm »

Now that the Oakland A's are moving to Las Vegas should they leave the "A's" name behind?  I don't see Oakland getting another major league franchise from any sport; heck they are only getting 2,500 people to show up for games.  In this case I'd be alright with them taking their name with them, especially since the Raiders moved to Las Vegas already.  But it really should be up to the people in Oakland to decide.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray