Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 07:43:35 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Ecospheres
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ecospheres  (Read 117 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: March 31, 2024, 02:33:59 pm »

I have a hobby where I'm making these things called Ecospheres.  It's easy and essentially free and you don't really have to maintain them.  I recommend doing it for your own enjoyment, but especially if you have kids.

The idea is that you're creating a self-sustaining, self-balancing environment in a glass jar.

You can pretty much use any airtight container made of glass, like pickle jars.  The larger you go, the more likely the environment will live longer, because changes in the conditions are less major with the more water you have.

There really isn't a wrong way to do it, but in general, for best results:

- Put about 1/4 or less of dirt from a nearby water source.  (Still water, like a pond or canal, is likely to have more biodiversity than running water, like a stream.)
- Put about 1/2 of water from the source.
- Leave about 1/4 for air, to allow for gas transfer.
- Add whatever aquatic plants, planted or floating, that you can gather.

You can also try other things, like for example, I added pothos, which exists out of the water, but the roots live in the water.  I added a clip of a few different kinds of aquarium plants.

In general, avoid:
- extra organic material, like leaves, fine silty mud, sticks.
- any large organism (any size fish, large insects) -- they have too high a bioload.

Leave the jar open for a couple of days while everything settles, then seal the jar forever.

It can't really go wrong, since it's an experiment, but basically, the jar will reach a balance.  Plants will fight for nutrients and the ones that don't win out will decay.  Small organisms will sprout, eggs will hatch, these things will eat the decay and each other.  Plants will make oxygen, animals will make carbon dioxide, decay and death will create nitrates, plants will use the nitrates for fertilizer.

There are hundreds of little critters in my sealed jar that weren't in there before.  It's been fully airtight for about a year.

The only thing you have to do once you close it is to try to manage the amount of algae.  You need enough light to allow some algae to grow on the glass for the shrimp and isopods to eat.  But too much algae will cause a bloom that eats up the oxygen in the jar.   I have mine in a windowsill with closed blinds....it gets light but not direct sunlight.

The one I have was from a canal near my house and I added clipping of various aquarium plants and a pothos vine.

I am starting another one with ocean water, sand from the shore, and seaweed and algae -- I may still try to find some more plants before I commit to it being sealed for good.

I also have plans for:
A brackish water one
One that includes both land and water elements
One that is curated with carefully planted grasses, aquarium shrimp, and cultivated plants.

But, super easy and something I wish I have been doing my whole life.  It's essentially free.  I have been purchasing containers from Homegoods -- the kind that have a rubber gasket and clamp that you'd use on your kitchen counter to store flour.  But you can use anything from a Snapple bottle to a mayonnaise jar to a large pickled egg container and larger.

Let me know if anyone else tries this.  I would like to share results.

Additionally, people find water from all kinds of weird places that yield results, like melting giant icicles from their roof in the winter, from puddles in the street, etc -- you really can't go wrong.   These can last many, many years and eventually when the balance gets off and you reach total death, you can just dump it and start again.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray