Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:10:07 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Give me Herbert over Tua.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Give me Herbert over Tua.  (Read 39754 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2020, 08:40:09 am »

Because strong teams can't succeed without an elite QB, which is what people think Tua and Burrows could be.  The Titans, 49ers, Bills and Vikings all made the playoffs this year without an elite QB.  If we don't get the QB of the future this draft, we stack up the team and draft one next year, that doesn't mean the tank job was pathetic.

Exactly. The goal isn't just to draft an excellent QB, it's to draft an excellent football team. This roster needs playmakers at virtually every position right now, so they shouldn't blow their entire draft budget just to make sure they get the QB they want.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2020, 08:42:36 am »

Well, the window for trading up to 3 for 5+39 has likely already closed.  It probably would take two firsts now.

However, if adding one of the picks from the Tunsil trade allows MIA to land a) a franchise QB or b) the best player in the draft (at a key position), I'd say that salvages some small bit of a wasted season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if MIA doesn't get Tua (or Burrow, I guess) then this season was the most pathetic and incompetent tank job in memory.

I will always be against not giving Rosen at least 6 games to figure things out, winning 5 games this year is only salvageable if we get Tua or Burrow.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2020, 08:46:35 am »

Exactly. The goal isn't just to draft an excellent QB, it's to draft an excellent football team. This roster needs playmakers at virtually every position right now, so they shouldn't blow their entire draft budget just to make sure they get the QB they want.

This right here!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2020, 08:47:16 am »

Yeah, we can't give up a monster package for a QB when we have holes everywhere. Some draft picks are okay but not multiple 1st rounders. That being said, getting a QB this year is basically our best and only chance or getting a franchise QB any time soon due to our draft position and capital. We're not getting one next year without losing half a dozen draft picks so we need to end this talk about drafting Lawrence next season or really anyone in the Top 5. Whether we get a QB or not for 2020 we are very likely going to be much better and drafting in the teens.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2020, 08:50:01 am »

I will always be against not giving Rosen at least 6 games to figure things out, winning 5 games this year is only salvageable if we get Tua or Burrow.

And this right here also.  LOL  Why give up a 2nd and 5th rounder to the Cardinals unless you are willing to give the guy at least half a season so you'll know whether you have something for 2020 or if you should just cut your losses and move on.  I was against the trade to begin with, but even more against the trade since they barely used the guy they traded for.  The only explanation I can think of is that he was just so horrible in practice, pre season, etc.  that they could already tell he was not going to be a decent QB.  Or he was just such a douchebag in the locker room that nobody wanted to even take the field with him.  I think his attitude was part of the problem in Arizona.  Like a lot of professional athletes, he is good at saying the right things in front of the cameras, but that is rarely much of an indication of what they are like around their teammates and coaches.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2020, 08:57:40 am »

And this right here also.  LOL  Why give up a 2nd and 5th rounder to the Cardinals unless you are willing to give the guy at least half a season so you'll know whether you have something for 2020 or if you should just cut your losses and move on.  I was against the trade to begin with, but even more against the trade since they barely used the guy they traded for.  The only explanation I can think of is that he was just so horrible in practice, pre season, etc.  that they could already tell he was not going to be a decent QB.  Or he was just such a douchebag in the locker room that nobody wanted to even take the field with him.  I think his attitude was part of the problem in Arizona.  Like a lot of professional athletes, he is good at saying the right things in front of the cameras, but that is rarely much of an indication of what they are like around their teammates and coaches.
It's unfortunate, and that may be the case on why Rosen hasn't played much.  I still make that trade 10 out of 10 times though, if it hits the QB search is over.  Great value for a potential franchise QB.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2020, 09:26:32 am »

That being said, getting a QB this year is basically our best and only chance or getting a franchise QB any time soon due to our draft position and capital.
This is only true if you believe you can only get a franchise QB in the 1st half of the 1st round of the draft which has been proven time and again to be false. Certainly the odds are better when picking in the top half of the 1st round, but not to the point that you have to force it.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2020, 10:26:12 am »

Perhaps, it gotta be something because we cut bait on him real quick and his games weren't any worse than Fitzpatrick's at the time.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2020, 10:27:55 am »

This is only true if you believe you can only get a franchise QB in the 1st half of the 1st round of the draft which has been proven time and again to be false. Certainly the odds are better when picking in the top half of the 1st round, but not to the point that you have to force it.

We have never been a team to find a hidden gem at QB or develop them. Just look at Tannehil this year, we held him back. Even if Tua or Burrow become busts, we won't be drafting anyone with their raw talent anytime soon so might as well do it now and hope we can get it done at #5.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2020, 02:20:06 pm »

We have never been a team to find a hidden gem at QB or develop them. Just look at Tannehil this year, we held him back. Even if Tua or Burrow become busts, we won't be drafting anyone with their raw talent anytime soon so might as well do it now and hope we can get it done at #5.
Miami "found" Marino with the 27th pick. I'm not saying it's easy, it's really tough...but only slightly less tough finding him with the 5th pick then with the 25th pick...that's what people don't understand.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:22:34 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2020, 03:17:50 pm »

Miami "found" Marino with the 27th pick. I'm not saying it's easy, it's really tough...but only slightly less tough finding him with the 5th pick then with the 25th pick...that's what people don't understand.

Marino was 1983, that's the last time we hit on a QB. As a franchise, we just suck at it and the more fool proof it is, the better. We took Tanny at #9 and he was a good QB and we still fucked that up. Now he is in Tennessee and shining. Josh Rosen was selected at #10 and we didn't even play him after acquiring him, being smart with QBs is just not in our DNA.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2020, 05:10:55 pm »

Miami "found" Marino with the 27th pick.
Don Shula found Marino with the 27th pick.
Another Shula isn't walking through the door any time soon.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2020, 05:14:01 pm »

Don Shula found Marino with the 27th pick.
Another Shula isn't walking through the door any time soon.
Neither is a Dan Marino.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2020, 05:19:25 pm »

Marino was 1983, that's the last time we hit on a QB. As a franchise, we just suck at it and the more fool proof it is, the better. We took Tanny at #9 and he was a good QB and we still fucked that up. Now he is in Tennessee and shining. Josh Rosen was selected at #10 and we didn't even play him after acquiring him, being smart with QBs is just not in our DNA.
The NFL as a whole isn't any better then Miami in my humble opinion. Most teams have only picked 1 franchise QB in their history and some haven't even been that fortunate. But you can't pick a franchise QB unless you actually select a QB. A lot of teams have tried a LOT more often then Miami has and come up empty.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2020, 08:09:12 pm »

The NFL as a whole isn't any better then Miami in my humble opinion. Most teams have only picked 1 franchise QB in their history and some haven't even been that fortunate. But you can't pick a franchise QB unless you actually select a QB. A lot of teams have tried a LOT more often then Miami has and come up empty.

The only team I can think of that drafted two all time greats that played for them is Green Bay.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray