Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:04:57 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Last minute draft stuff.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Last minute draft stuff.  (Read 1070 times)
Denver2

Email
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2024, 07:33:45 pm »

I don't know shit from Shinola when it comes to draft eval, but I do like our first pick.  I like edge rushers, I think we need it, and the guy's highlights package was impressive.  I don't know about criticisms against his run stopping, but I like the idea of not having these QBs stand back and pick us apart.

As for the O-lineman, I'm always good with that.

It's the speedy undersized RB that's confusing.  It feels like we have that box checked.

One of the things we aren't good at is getting 1 yard when we need 1 yard -- pounding the ball for short yardage.  That doesn't seem to have been addressed with this personnel. 

Yeah I’m worried about short yardage the most. That’s why I was a homer for bringing in Henry. I wish we could just bring prime Lou Polite back.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2024, 11:06:07 pm »

Chop Robinson's highlight reel looks good but his stats aren't great. This past year he started 10 games at defensive end...Finished with 15 tackles (12 solo), 7.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, a pass breakup and five quarterback hurries.

I think it was Dave Hyde that said over the last 60 something edge rushers drafted only about 11 have gotten more sacks in the NFL than they did in college.

Yeah, I'm feeling a whole lot of meh about our draft, but then we didn't have a lot of draft capital to address what we lost in the offseason.

In the draft we didn't address the interior OL issues, totally ignored LB again, and used what could only be described as luxury picks at RB & WR.

If there were any doubts that McDaniel totally undervalues the TE position, there shouldn't be now. We are effectively a run-and-shoot offense.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2024, 03:22:25 am »

If there were any doubts that McDaniel totally undervalues the TE position, there shouldn't be now. We are effectively a run-and-shoot offense.
I wouldn't say that.  MIA made a reasonable upgrade at TE in free agency:

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/five-things-jonnu-smith

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2024, 07:28:33 am »

Yeah, I'm feeling a whole lot of meh about our draft, but then we didn't have a lot of draft capital to address what we lost in the offseason.

People's opinions about the draft are one of two in my opinion. Either they judge it off the "potential" of what could be or they judge it off of what it is now. For instance ... our first pick has a quick release off the line but only had 15 tackles in 11 games last season. That isn't much to get excited about if you are looking where he is right now. If you're more focused on what he "might" turn into then you could see it as a positive thing.

I honestly expect Chris to do some more signings and or trading based on his history. I can't see him being confident where we are right not.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2024, 09:42:31 am »

People's opinions about the draft are one of two in my opinion. Either they judge it off the "potential" of what could be or they judge it off of what it is now. For instance ... our first pick has a quick release off the line but only had 15 tackles in 11 games last season. That isn't much to get excited about if you are looking where he is right now. If you're more focused on what he "might" turn into then you could see it as a positive thing.

I honestly expect Chris to do some more signings and or trading based on his history. I can't see him being confident where we are right not.

The main issue is the rest of our team is geared up for right now. Not the season after that, or the season after that.

The bulk of the players we lost in this free agency we drafted and developed, and who after 4-6 years should be nearing their peak - and replaced them with veterans who mostly have a year, maybe two to three left in them. Tua's contract is coming up which will eat up a lot of cap space... and I'm already resigned to the thought of Javon Holland (another first round pick who should be approaching his prime) walking out on the team this time next year.

I can understand letting X go and replacing him with Fuller, he was the oldest of the bunch and it was time to change.  But the rest of the losses really sting - especially Wilkins and Hunt. It was really dumb not to franchise tag one of those guys, but we screwed up our cap management madly putting all of our poker chips in for this year, and we blew it.

Don't expect much in the way of high profile signings to fill the gaps, even with the recent contract restructures, we just don't have the money. So we were left with the draft... and this is what we ended up with. A couple of players with future potential, and a few luxury picks. Adds up to a whole lot of meh for me.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 10:03:06 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2024, 09:49:41 am »

I wouldn't say that.  MIA made a reasonable upgrade at TE in free agency:

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/five-things-jonnu-smith

Sorry, but he's an upgrade? Are you taking the piss?  Huh

He has a total of 20 career TDs over 7 seasons (107 games played).

Only four TDs in the last three seasons (and three fumbles).

I just can't see anything to get remotely excited about.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2024, 11:51:09 am »

I just can't see anything to get remotely excited about.

You gotta get away from evaluating TEs as firsthand offensive production in this offense.  That's not how McDaniel uses TEs.  We have a team built for speed, both in 40 times and in how long it takes plays to develop.  We don't want to be using our downs throwing to TEs when you have so many better options with the ball in their hands.  Also, the TE needs to be used for scheming and blocking.  We're not trying to reproduce Gronk with a TE on this team.  We saw how ineffective a decent pass-catcher TE like Gesicki was.  Once in a while, we'll use a TE as a change of pace or outlet, but we aren't going to dial up plays for a TE when you have the fastest guys in the world on one team.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2024, 12:19:44 pm »

Over a similar time period (95 games, last 3 seasons) Durham Smythe has 3 total TDs, 1 in the last three seasons.  So yes, I think he's an upgrade.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2024, 11:23:17 pm »

Alright,well what you guys think about Patrick Paul?

https://twitter.com/houtz/status/1785675762248388685?

Some film of him here - he is a big lad, but from this it looks like there's a bit of work to do.

He seems to struggle with genuine speed rushes from the edge (and the NFL is a lot quicker than College. This is McDaniel coaching, so he ain't gonna get any help from RBs to block additional blitzers either). His use of his hands at time is far from ideal, and his positioning in rushing plays you would have to call at best average.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2024, 06:04:54 am »

You gotta get away from evaluating TEs as firsthand offensive production in this offense.  That's not how McDaniel uses TEs.

Like I said, he totally undervalues the position. It's a big surprise in a way, given how important Kittle is to the 49ers, but his time here says otherwise. It's just an additional blocker 99% of the time.

We may as well not have them at all - McDaniel would have got as much by keeping Hunt, and using him as an occasional designated receiver. Not that it matters.

We are a run and shoot offense with McDaniel as Coach. We can expect to go as far as those have in the past... which is not much beyond making the playoffs (if that).
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2024, 07:00:21 am »

Like I said, he totally undervalues the position. It's a big surprise in a way, given how important Kittle is to the 49ers, but his time here says otherwise. It's just an additional blocker 99% of the time.

We may as well not have them at all - McDaniel would have got as much by keeping Hunt, and using him as an occasional designated receiver. Not that it matters.

We are a run and shoot offense with McDaniel as Coach. We can expect to go as far as those have in the past... which is not much beyond making the playoffs (if that).
Reading posts like this makes me feel like I've been wasting decades thinking stuff like "I hope Cam Cameron turns the Dolphins into one of the top offenses in the league" or "I hope Ryan Tannehill is able to lead the league in passing with his new weapons."  Because it turns out that even if that happens, the fanbase will react exactly the same as when the offense was Jay Fiedler and Lamar Smith barely grinding out yards.  None of it matters.

I remember what this offense looked like two years ago under Brian Flores.  It has made huge improvements each year under McDaniel.  Perhaps some more optimism is warranted.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2024, 10:36:51 am »

I'm down with this offense, Give McDaniel a 10 year contract extension and lock him up for a while. Consistency in the NFL is how you get better as a team.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray