|
Title: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Orlando Rays on January 16, 2009, 06:27:49 pm http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3839188
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers just fired head coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: fyo on January 16, 2009, 06:35:45 pm wow
I'm at a loss for words. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Defense54 on January 16, 2009, 06:58:10 pm http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3839188 The Tampa Bay Buccaneers just fired head coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen. WOW! That I didn't see coming. He would have made a great Candidate for the Lions or the Jets. Thing is he's a great Coach........not a Talent guy. Whoever grabs him needs to get a good GM as well. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Philly Fin Fan on January 16, 2009, 07:04:47 pm Betcha he ends up as HC in Philly. They've mentioned him for years as the next coach when the fat walrus leaves.
Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Tenshot13 on January 16, 2009, 07:13:16 pm WOW! That I didn't see coming. He would have made a great Candidate for the Lions or the Jets. Thing is he's a great Coach........not a Talent guy. Whoever grabs him needs to get a good GM as well. I couldn't disagree with you more...he is supposedly this "offensive guru" and his whole tenure in Tampa, he used their amazing defense as a crutch...he can't develop a quarterback...the two times he tried (Simms and Gradkowski)...FAIL! He's an egomaniac that drives all his players away...there is a reason he is one of the most hated coaches by players in the league...he stabs players in the back...I was wondering if the Bucs where going to do the right thing and can his sorry ass, and I'm glad to see they did it. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Phishfan on January 16, 2009, 09:28:22 pm I have heard the grumblings around town. Not a big surprise. I think it could be a good move for the future.
Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: CF DolFan on January 16, 2009, 09:28:25 pm I'm not sure why they would do this during this year. They appear to have a plan in place as it seems like next year better coaching options will be available.
Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Defense54 on January 16, 2009, 10:21:27 pm I couldn't disagree with you more...he is supposedly this "offensive guru" and his whole tenure in Tampa, he used their amazing defense as a crutch...he can't develop a quarterback...the two times he tried (Simms and Gradkowski)...FAIL! He's an egomaniac that drives all his players away...there is a reason he is one of the most hated coaches by players in the league...he stabs players in the back...I was wondering if the Bucs where going to do the right thing and can his sorry ass, and I'm glad to see they did it. Like I said........HE IS NOT TALENT GUY. Most hated by players in the league? Can I ask when you conducted that survey? Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Tenshot13 on January 16, 2009, 11:18:39 pm Like I said........HE IS NOT TALENT GUY. Most hated by players in the league? Can I ask when you conducted that survey? Fine then...he isn't a good talent evaluator is what I'm grasping from you...lets talk about his coaching then...the real X's and O's....he makes playbooks so complicated that veteran QBs that have had a full offseason and training camp with the guy can't even make heads or tails of it...some guys it takes more than 2 years!...thats ridiculous! it's like he tries to be too smart for everyone to prove he's this genius, yet since no one can understand his playbook, he ends up looking like a dumbass! and it's all because of his fucking ego...about the survey, I tried looking it up again and couldn't find it...it was only a few months ago, and I think SI did the survey, but not sure...I know I'm not the only one who saw it, because I've discussed it with others on this board, so a little help? Ok, so he had a few good years in Oakland...he also had two of the greatest WR's in NFL history on his team! That offense was stacked and any coach in the NFL would have succeeded with that team...then he comes to Tampa and wins a Superbowl...with Dungy's players, and arguably the greatest defense the NFL has ever seen...that has nothing to do with Gruden and everything to do with Dungy and Kiffin...the guy hasn't proved jack shit to me...he's a bum. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Tepop84 on January 17, 2009, 12:59:06 am LOL, that raiders Bucs trade that brought Gruden to the bucs could be the most one sided trade in history. More lopsided than the herschel walker trade.
Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Defense54 on January 17, 2009, 03:44:08 am Fine then...he isn't a good talent evaluator is what I'm grasping from you...lets talk about his coaching then...the real X's and O's....he makes playbooks so complicated that veteran QBs that have had a full offseason and training camp with the guy can't even make heads or tails of it...some guys it takes more than 2 years!...thats ridiculous! it's like he tries to be too smart for everyone to prove he's this genius, yet since no one can understand his playbook, he ends up looking like a dumbass! and it's all because of his fucking ego...about the survey, I tried looking it up again and couldn't find it...it was only a few months ago, and I think SI did the survey, but not sure...I know I'm not the only one who saw it, because I've discussed it with others on this board, so a little help? Ok, so he had a few good years in Oakland...he also had two of the greatest WR's in NFL history on his team! That offense was stacked and any coach in the NFL would have succeeded with that team...then he comes to Tampa and wins a Superbowl...with Dungy's players, and arguably the greatest defense the NFL has ever seen...that has nothing to do with Gruden and everything to do with Dungy and Kiffin...the guy hasn't proved jack shit to me...he's a bum. LOL. I get that you don't like the guy but you don't win championships not knowing what your doing. Everything you said is factless and opinionated. Your entitled to that of course but thats all it is. Your opinion. I agree he's been stale in Tampa and needs a change in scenery but he's a heck of a coach if you get him the players like you yourself even addmitted. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: YoFuggedaboutit on January 17, 2009, 06:58:52 am This doesn´t surprise me one bit. If I were the Bucs owner, I would´ve canned him too after that collapse to end the season.
What surprises me is the timing. This is not something you do three weeks into the offseason. Even more of a shock was that they promoted the current Defensive Coordinator, Raheem Morris, without conducting any interviews for other candidates that may be more qualified. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Orlando Rays on January 17, 2009, 08:04:19 am Even more of a shock was that they promoted the current Defensive Coordinator, Raheem Morris, without conducting any interviews for other candidates that may be more qualified. Well, at least they won't run afoul of the PC dorks that complain when a black coach isn't hired to a top position. I guarantee, if Morris were white and they hired him immediately after firing Gruden, they would be screaming to the high heavens. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Tenshot13 on January 17, 2009, 12:59:47 pm http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/16/players-have-spoken-in-tampa/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/16/players-have-spoken-in-tampa/)
Adam Schefter Players have spoken in Tampa Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Jon Gruden, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Over the past couple of weeks, the Glazer family called in various Buccaneers players to solicit their opinions on head coach Jon Gruden. Suffice to say, the message delivered to the Glazers about Gruden wasn’t favorable. One of the worst-kept secrets in the league was the way Buccaneers players felt about Gruden. There wasn’t a real affinity there. This has nothing to do with Gruden’s abilities; he’s a first-rate coach. But his players didn’t voice their approval for him. Just look at what the Buccaneers’ owners did. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: YoFuggedaboutit on January 17, 2009, 01:49:54 pm Well, at least they won't run afoul of the PC dorks that complain when a black coach isn't hired to a top position. I guarantee, if Morris were white and they hired him immediately after firing Gruden, they would be screaming to the high heavens. That would also be a Rooney Rule violation. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: MyGodWearsAHoodie on January 17, 2009, 01:56:46 pm If I were the Bucs owner, I would´ve canned him too after that collapse to end the season. Tommy it might be easier for you just to list the coaches you wouldn't fire at the end of each season than to list than ones you would fire. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: YoFuggedaboutit on January 17, 2009, 02:02:06 pm Tommy it might be easier for you just to list the coaches you wouldn't fire at the end of each season than to list than ones you would fire. Quite a few come to mind.... and most of them actually happened. This year alone, I predicted four coaches would get fired due to the way their teams collapsed to end the season. I was correct on three of those predictions. Other coaches I would've fired would've been Dave Wannstedt in 2002, Don Shula in 1993, Mike Ditka in 1992, Marv Levy in 1996, and not to mention Cam Cameron last season. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Rick on January 17, 2009, 02:05:11 pm the guy hasn't proved jack shit to me...he's a bum. I'm sure Gruden is heartbroken over your disapproval of his coaching abilities. ;)I agree with Defense....Gruden is a very good coach, he just needs a GM in place to make personnel decisions....he will find another HC gig soon. Bad move Tampa Bay! Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Tenshot13 on January 17, 2009, 02:06:56 pm Ok, I'll agree he is a good X's and O's guy...but he is a horrible coach. If you can't get your team to buy into to program, then how are you going to be successful? The result is the mutiny you see now with the Bucs.
Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: DolFan619 on January 17, 2009, 02:56:59 pm This move doesn't surprise me. Honestly, what in the hell has Gruden done with Bucs since they won the Super Bowl back in 2002? From my viewpoint it looks like he's done a whole bunch of NOTHING since then. This firing should've happened a long time ago.
Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Frimp on January 17, 2009, 03:26:00 pm The Bucs were going to win the Super Bowl that year. Period. They would have won it with ME coaching. That was Dungy's doing, not Gruden's. The Bucs should have given Dungy a ring too.
Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: bsmooth on January 17, 2009, 04:37:04 pm Ok, I'll agree he is a good X's and O's guy...but he is a horrible coach. If you can't get your team to buy into to program, then how are you going to be successful? The result is the mutiny you see now with the Bucs. So how come the Raiders didnt quit after the first practice with him? They are notorious for quitting and committing mutiny on their coaches. Also by your rationale, ol Bill should have taken the same Raiders Gruden built back to the SB with that offense? Oh wait, they quit. The Bucs did not quit as much as age and injuries caught up with them late in the season. Did you see a hobbled Brooks trying his best in the last game to chase down the ball? A mutinious team does not go 9-3 into December. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Defense54 on January 17, 2009, 04:47:24 pm Well, at least they won't run afoul of the PC dorks that complain when a black coach isn't hired to a top position. I guarantee, if Morris were white and they hired him immediately after firing Gruden, they would be screaming to the high heavens. That's what makes it Hypocritical.......you should HAVE to interview 1 of each before making a decision. Just catering to one race , if I were Black, is insulting and demeaning. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: YoFuggedaboutit on January 17, 2009, 05:46:43 pm So how come the Raiders didnt quit after the first practice with him? They are notorious for quitting and committing mutiny on their coaches. Also by your rationale, ol Bill should have taken the same Raiders Gruden built back to the SB with that offense? Oh wait, they quit. The Bucs did not quit as much as age and injuries caught up with them late in the season. Did you see a hobbled Brooks trying his best in the last game to chase down the ball? A mutinious team does not go 9-3 into December. Good question.... but then why were the players pissed off at Gruden? Title: Re: Bucs Introduce Morris As New Coach Post by: CF DolFan on January 17, 2009, 08:46:32 pm Not that it makes me smart or anything but I said something was in the works. It just smelled funny.
http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/18503435/detail.html TAMPA, Fla. -- A day after abruptly firing Super Bowl winner Jon Gruden, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have introduced Raheem Morris as their new coach. Morris inherits a team that won three division titles under his predecessor but has hasn't won a playoff game since capturing the franchise's only NFL title in January 2003. The Gruden era ended with four consecutive losses that denied the Bucs a postseason spot following a 9-3 start. The 32-year-old Morris has no previous head coaching experience. The Bucs promoted him to defensive coordinator on Christmas Day, and he recently interviewed for the Denver Broncos coaching vacancy. Mark Dominik is the new general manager. He has been with the team since 1995 and replaces Bruce Allen, who was fired Friday. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: landlocked on January 18, 2009, 12:50:38 pm I like the "chuckie",but feel he is too complicated of an offensive guy.His playbook is the hardest to learn in the league according to what I have read,the teminology alone is like learning a whole new language.And he should've gotten a qb and stuck with him instead of playing roulette.I can't agree with firing him right now,though.
Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: fyo on January 18, 2009, 01:01:18 pm I like the "chuckie",but feel he is too complicated of an offensive guy.His playbook is the hardest to learn in the league according to what I have read,the teminology alone is like learning a whole new language.And he should've gotten a qb and stuck with him instead of playing roulette.I can't agree with firing him right now,though. Sometimes getting to start over can be helpful to eliminate the "bad" aspects of ones coaching. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Frimp on January 18, 2009, 01:49:35 pm I think hiring that 32 year old coach is a mistake too. Shanahan is available, and he is a similar type of coach to the system they have there.
Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: bsmooth on January 18, 2009, 06:28:41 pm Good question.... but then why were the players pissed off at Gruden? Who knows, but did anyone ask the players how they felt about when they were 9-3 instead of after they had folded and been eliminated from the playoffs? Could be a little bit of sour grapes in there too. Title: Re: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen Post by: Tenshot13 on January 19, 2009, 03:18:25 pm I like the "chuckie",but feel he is too complicated of an offensive guy.His playbook is the hardest to learn in the league according to what I have read,the teminology alone is like learning a whole new language.And he should've gotten a qb and stuck with him instead of playing roulette.I can't agree with firing him right now,though. Thank you for posting this because this was my point (except for the last sentence)...you made it more clear than I could Quote So how come the Raiders didnt quit after the first practice with him? They are notorious for quitting and committing mutiny on their coaches. Also by your rationale, ol Bill should have taken the same Raiders Gruden built back to the SB with that offense? Oh wait, they quit. The Bucs did not quit as much as age and injuries caught up with them late in the season. Did you see a hobbled Brooks trying his best in the last game to chase down the ball? A mutinious team does not go 9-3 into December. A hobbled Brooks does not make up the defense...in fact, the Bucs defense is relatively young, with the exceptions of Brooks, Barber, and Kevin Carter (who rotates regularly with the rest of the D-line). You want to use injuries as an excuse? Every team has injuries...take a look at the Pats...they went 11-5 and they were way more decimated than the Bucs in that department. Also let me clarify something... Ok, I'll agree he is a good X's and O's guy...but he is a horrible coach. If you can't get your team to buy into to program, then how are you going to be successful? The result is the mutiny you see now with the Bucs. When I said he's a good X's and O's guy, that's what I meant, but his offense is too complicated and his players have trouble understanding it...that's what I meant by buying into the program...when I said the result was a mutiny, I was referring to when the owners asked the players after the season if Gruden should stick around, and the majority of them said "no". Sorry for the confusion. |