|
Title: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: VidKid on May 02, 2014, 11:52:27 am Will give people time to see this before I completely review it and possibly ruin any spoilers (for the people who don't read comics anyway).
I will only make a couple comments for now - - enjoyed the perspective / bullet-time effects showcasing 'spider sense' - actor chemistry was good (peter-gwen, peter-aunt may) - so many plot holes and lack of motivation - basic logic and real world scenario responses/actions completely ridiculous Some would say, it was a 'pretty' movie but i felt it needed more substance. I still put it over Spiderman 3 and the dancing. I think I would have enjoyed these performances better though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8GLoDHZMZQ#t=172 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLBSoC_2IY8#t=425 Once people start seeing it and we're talking about it, we can get into details. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Dave Gray on May 02, 2014, 12:08:00 pm I thought the movie was terrible and I'm usually pretty forgiving.
It's a huge step backwards for Superhero movies and feels like it was cut from the cloth of Batman Forever. I disagree that it's pretty, even. I think a lot of it feels really fake, specifically a scene where Spidey and Gwen are talking on the top of a bridge for no reason. The action scenes look like a cartoon. When the movie stops and lets the characters interact, it's great. There's a great scene with Harry and Peter on a beach, a great scene with Gwen and Peter in the park, and a great scene with Aunt May and Peter in his room -- all of them are just two actors emoting and they work well and are grounded. Outside of that, it's CG Jerkoff and Puns and multiple villains without adequate motivation. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Phishfan on May 02, 2014, 12:18:25 pm These are not great reviews for a movie I was consdiering going to see. Maybe I'll just wait a while then.
Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: VidKid on May 02, 2014, 12:22:30 pm I did say 'some would say'.But I liked the focus on spider sense. Maybe they used it once or twice too many times, but it was different, I liked it. But yes, i forgot to mention the CG.
There was so much of it. What made Cap 2 so good was that it was real actors with great choreography. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Sunstroke on May 02, 2014, 12:27:43 pm I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, but will wait until it streams in HD before checking it out. I just can't see paying money for it. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Dave Gray on May 02, 2014, 12:32:41 pm Jamie Fox's Electro is Jim Carrey's Riddler.
If you think that kind of performance can hold up in a movie made in 2014, you may enjoy this movie. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Dave Gray on May 02, 2014, 12:42:45 pm I can't stop thinking about how much I hate this movie. It has no cohesive tone, at all.
It's a campy "Batman and Robin" style movie one second, and the very next, it tries to have these grounded emotional beats about loss. There is a 2-movie long stretched-out subplot about Peter's Dad that doesn't matter at all. It could've been cut out of both movies and it wouldn't have made one iota of difference. In fact, the revelation about the Dad goes against the very nature of what makes Spiderman such a special character. Ugh. What a bloated, stupid mess. I hope SONY loses the rights to this franchise. I am mad at myself for even seeing it, because I knew better and did it anyway. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: VidKid on May 02, 2014, 01:49:03 pm I agree. The footage about Peter's dad should have either been in the first movie or removed from both. It had absolutely no impact on the story line at all.
Not to mention, the 'mystery' of it all is resolved in this quick montage as if the director is saying 'hey, here's the answer, stop criticizing the first movie'. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: CF DolFan on May 02, 2014, 05:32:22 pm I'm disappointed to hear this considering how much I liked the first one. Although it's kind of funny seeing Dave and his disgust, he usually is pretty friendly when it comes to super hero movies.
Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Dave Gray on May 02, 2014, 06:12:43 pm ^ I know. I normally don't care. It just feels like such a heartless cash-grab. And I fell for it like an asshole.
Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: VidKid on May 07, 2014, 02:50:23 pm SPOILER ALERT
While this feature is kinda cool it's a shame that basically the climax of this movie didn't even contain a single human being. http://geektyrant.com/news/the-amazing-spider-man-2-sfx-animation-featurette Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Tenshot13 on July 25, 2014, 11:45:43 pm BUMP
I don't get the hate. I enjoyed the movie and I feel like spiderman is finally portrayed correctly. He's an incredible smart ass. I see it less of a batman forever, and more like a lighthearted Dark Knight. Rhino = Scarecrow, Electro = Joker, Green Goblin = Two Face. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: DZA on July 26, 2014, 03:08:16 pm woah
To Each opinion in its own. This movie was in no way terrible. I thought i was pretty good. I enjoy these spiderman movies not like Toby McGuire's debacle. I found a loose adaptation between the comic as I did read many of Spiderman comics back in the day. Gwen Stacy death for those who have read the comics knew that her death was inevitable and it was a sudden shock for it to happen that quickly. I was glad they brought back the Amazing version of the costume. Rhino as a mech was terrible but hey it was not bad. And for them to slowly incorporate the sinister 6 was fantastic. Dont be quick to fall into OH because this person say it sucked your not going to watch it. If your a comic Fan watch it and base your own thoughts Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: mecadonzilla on July 26, 2014, 11:47:51 pm I'm glad someone else brought it up. I really liked the sequel to the Amazing Spiderman. I thought the first one sucked, but the second one was really good. In fact, I thought it might've been the best of the entire lot of Spiderman movies. That third Sam Raimi pic was so awful it kind of ruined the first two for me.
Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Sunstroke on July 27, 2014, 12:16:24 pm I watched this movie last night, and I thought it was a fairly decent movie. Nothing spectacular, but better than most of the Spiderman movies that came before it. I'm a little pissed off about the character that bit it, because I liked that character quite a bit, but overall, it was pretty entertaining. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Dave Gray on July 27, 2014, 08:37:33 pm Jesus Christ guys. This was a steaming pile.
I mean...honestly. What is the movie even about? What is the plot? Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Sunstroke on July 27, 2014, 10:49:49 pm ^^^ I'll watch it a couple more times and get back to ya on that... ;) Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Dave Gray on July 28, 2014, 11:22:19 am Electro = Joker I can't tell you what to like, so if it's just a matter of opinion, that's fine. However, I fail to see any connection between Electro and the Joker. Electro LITERALLY has the same motivation as the Ridder in Batman Forever. He works for the big, bad corporation. He is obsessed with the hero prior to his transformation. Some company property turns him into a madman. He seeks revenge on the hero because he feels dismissed and disrespected. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: SCFinfan on July 28, 2014, 11:58:35 am IMHO: Was a very weak movie.
I'll leave this video to go into more detail for me: http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-transcendence-and-the-amazing-spider-man-2/ Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Tenshot13 on July 28, 2014, 01:19:42 pm I can't tell you what to like, so if it's just a matter of opinion, that's fine. However, I fail to see any connection between Electro and the Joker. Flip that, I meant electro = Two Face, GG=Joker. Anyways, I felt this was the best portail of any spiderman yet by a mile. It was action packed and actually makes spidey a cocky smart ass vs Mcguire's emo version. It's was action packed and obviously is the setup movie for the sinister six.Electro LITERALLY has the same motivation as the Ridder in Batman Forever. He works for the big, bad corporation. He is obsessed with the hero prior to his transformation. Some company property turns him into a madman. He seeks revenge on the hero because he feels dismissed and disrespected. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Dave Gray on July 28, 2014, 03:52:16 pm In terms of the Spider-Man scale, I think I'd put this as film #4 of 5.
I think that ASM and SM1 and 2 were all better. I've never been in love with any of the Spidey films, though. This, for me, was definitely closer to SM3 than near the top of the list. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Thundergod on July 28, 2014, 05:56:43 pm I agree with Dave, ASM2 was bad. I found myself bored, the characters were meh, and the cheesiness... oh the cheese. If this is a true representation of the comics... :-\ I'll stick to the original movie trilogy.
Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Sunstroke on July 29, 2014, 12:01:03 am ...actually makes spidey a cocky smart ass vs Mcguire's emo version. This might be why I appreciated this movie as much as I did. I felt it was the first Spiderman movie that really portrayed his smart-ass bantering personality the way it was in the old comic books. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: VidKid on July 29, 2014, 11:56:55 am I have been reading and collecting (even dressing the part at the movie premiers) and while the quick wit is the Spiderman we know and love, the movie itself lacked proper direction/storytelling. The plot was all over the place, the holes left me with questions.. and not the good, thought provoking questions. There was so much that didn't need to be there and other stuff that could have been.
The success of Marvel's 'cinematic universe' is making other studio houses jump but without putting the necessary time into their projects. Sony should have built this universe over a couple movies. Make a good ASM#2. Then do ASM#3, build up the Sinister Six / Venom / others. Not everything has to be done in one movie. The studio is pushing back ASM#3. Announced conveniently after the poor box office / critic reviews. Rumors are they're thinking Sinister Six first (which may or may not even have spidey in it). Something just isn't right over there. I feel like there is a Kevin Smith Superman story over at Sony that we just haven't heard yet :) - (for those that don't know the story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk) Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Sunstroke on July 29, 2014, 01:13:18 pm That Kevin Smith interview had me rolling here...thanks for that link. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Dave Gray on July 29, 2014, 01:31:54 pm Love that Kevin Smith story -- one of his best.
ASM and the sequel got so much right. But one of those things isn't a plot or character motivations. Honestly, what is the plot? I mean...can you even answer it? ASM2 plays out like disconnected vignettes rather than a coherent story. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Tenshot13 on July 29, 2014, 02:09:06 pm Love that Kevin Smith story -- one of his best. Good guy deals with adversity and stops bad guy. How is that any different than any other superhero movie? ASM and the sequel got so much right. But one of those things isn't a plot or character motivations. Honestly, what is the plot? I mean...can you even answer it? ASM2 plays out like disconnected vignettes rather than a coherent story. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: SCFinfan on July 29, 2014, 03:12:25 pm Good guy deals with adversity and stops bad guy. How is that any different than any other superhero movie? Because there is understandable motivation and cohesive storytelling in other superhero movies. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Dave Gray on July 29, 2014, 03:23:51 pm Good guy deals with adversity and stops bad guy. How is that any different than any other superhero movie? That's not really a plot summary. And even if that were the plot summary, that is super outdated. Do you think that's what The Dark Knight or Winter Soldier is about? These superhero movies have evolved to be ABOUT things. They have reasonable character motivations, themes. I don't think that ASM2 has this stuff. It's kinda about people dealing with their fathers (Harry and Peter and the mysteries of their past). But it abandons that and is kinda about the importance of keeping promises (Peter's relationship with Gwen's dad). It also abandons this and has Electro in it, with no real thematic connection to anything that I can tell. It's a collection of Spider-man related scenes, but nothing that ties things together. THe whole subplot about the Dad....it means nothing. Had it been erased from both films entirely, it wouldn't make one iota of difference...yet it's quite a bit of screen-time dedicated to it, to no end. This is a movie made by producers making a checklist and I think it backfired. Title: Re: Amazing Spiderman 2 Post by: Sunstroke on July 29, 2014, 04:02:12 pm For some crazy reason, I now find myself wishing that Spiderman had fought a giant spider... |