The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums

TDMMC Forums => Off-Topic Board => Topic started by: SCFinfan on May 12, 2015, 09:29:40 pm



Title: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: SCFinfan on May 12, 2015, 09:29:40 pm
Have you? If yes, how close did you get? If you attempted, why?

I've had plenty of ideation over the years, but never an attempt. The slings and arrows of fortune are too much for high-strung folks like me at times. But similarly, I fear hell and know the pain it would cause, so I could never even attempt it. The guilt would overwhelm me before I even got close.

Note: am not depressed or anything, just thinking about this tonight and wanted to broach it.


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: Rich on May 13, 2015, 09:23:53 am
No, but if someone else they should get help. Keeping things inside only makes it worse.


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: Phishfan on May 13, 2015, 09:24:58 am
I would bet the idea of suicide has crossed everyone's mind in some fashion. I've never come close to even attempting it though.


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: Dave Gray on May 13, 2015, 09:56:09 am
Depression has never been something I've struggled with.  My mental stability has always been on-point.  I've lost a friend to it, though.


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: Tenshot13 on May 13, 2015, 10:26:58 am
Thought about it?  Sure, I think everyone has.  Mine was more about thinking what it would be like.

Ever even come close to attempting?  No way Jose.


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: Sunstroke on May 13, 2015, 11:05:14 am

Only to demonstrate that most people actually do know someone who has at least strongly considered suicide, if not attempted it outright...

Yes, I've considered it, and think about it regularly even to this day. I came very close once, and when I say "very close," I mean blade in-hand and "goodbye, cruel world" note written. I even went through a fairly long period (over 6 months) where I never left home without ensuring that my written farewell was on my desk in a place that would make it easily discovered, should I decide that the day had come to end my life.

But, to pin a little Monty Python tail on that depressing donkey of a thought... "It got better!"



Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: Buddhagirl on May 13, 2015, 11:32:28 am
Hmmm...not direct suicide per say. Like, I've never thought, "I'd like to blow my brains out." But, there were years where I intentionally harmed myself or did completely reckless things and did not care if the end result was death. I've also dealt for years with some pretty extreme anxiety.

And like Sunstroke says it got better. But, I had to face up to it, see a doc, and do the things I needed to get me healthy. If I'm not diligent anxiety sneaks up on me and cripples me with fear. Fear of absolutely ridiculous bullshit that is never, ever going to happen. Trust me when I say that is no way to live.


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: dolphins4life on May 14, 2015, 11:38:26 pm
Yes, I did when I was in college, but I would always know in my heart that I could never put my family through that.

I haven't thought about it since.   Even when I was going through my midlife crisis last year, I never considered it once.

I sometimes wish I could help people and share my story to give hope to people and let them know that things do get better.

Therapy helped me greatly. 


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: CF DolFan on May 15, 2015, 08:03:58 am
I did and was very serious about doing it. Was 27 and in a depression although I had no idea. The ringing in my ears was deafening (I have tinnitus), I hadn't gone to work in over a week nor slept in days. In fact, in the weeks proceeding I had little to no sleep. I was so strung out no one could tell me anything and was facing the fact I might not ever get better. The specialist had even informed me that even if they removed my eardrums the ringing would continue. My wife thought I was going crazy and we had just had twins. The world seemed pretty bleak to me. In fact except for the fear of my children having to grow up with a father who killed himself, I might had done it. Fortunately I held out long enough. This is the exact moment when I went from being a non-practicing Christian to being a saved person. I remember the exact moment when I realized everything was going to get better and it has changed me for life. Thank you Jesus!   


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: Brian Fein on May 15, 2015, 11:05:50 am
[slight derail]
Have you had treatment for the tinnitus?  I used to work for a company that used magnetic pulse therapy to treat this condition in horses, because it wasn't approved by FDA in the US.  They were a German company.  Not sure if its something you could look into...
[/slight derail]


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: CF DolFan on May 15, 2015, 03:04:57 pm
[slight derail]
Have you had treatment for the tinnitus?  I used to work for a company that used magnetic pulse therapy to treat this condition in horses, because it wasn't approved by FDA in the US.  They were a German company.  Not sure if its something you could look into...
[/slight derail]
Not an issue any longer. I still have it but it's really no big deal. The more hearing I lose, and I have lost a lot of the higher frequencies in my right ear, the louder it gets. Prior to this situation I had to sleep with noise. I've had to all my life ...  or at least since I can remember. Since this event I can sleep without a TV or fan. I don't usually do it because I've gotten used to the fan, but when I have to it's no big deal. that wasn't the case previously.


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: Fau Teixeira on May 15, 2015, 03:54:48 pm
they make white noise machines you can sleep with too


Title: Re: Have you ever considered suicide?
Post by: Phishfan on May 15, 2015, 05:43:52 pm
^^^ Those things suck for someone who doesn't need it. I took a road trip earlier this year and shared a hotel room. That guy's damn machine kept me awake all night.