The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums

TDMMC Forums => Dolphins Discussion => Topic started by: Spider-Dan on January 03, 2021, 11:06:45 pm



Title: Poor QB development/evaluation from Flores, and the danger of Fitzpatrick
Post by: Spider-Dan on January 03, 2021, 11:06:45 pm
For the second year in a row, I feel like we had a young QB prospect who didn't get enough playing time to get a solid evaluation on him, all because we were chasing wins with a very flawed team.  Last year it was with Rosen (who, admittedly, was not the highest-value prospect).  This year, Flores repeatedly pulled Tua in situations where he needed to be aggressive, leaving us until the last game of the year - on the road, against a top team, with the playoffs on the line - for Tua to get his first NFL experience of playing aggressively from behind.

What has been gained?  Only more uncertainty and more questions.  Flores threw Tua in too early and yanked him too easily.

You guys keep insisting that what we are seeing now is NOT what has happened with Ryan Fitzpatrick at practically every other team he has played for.  Fitzpatrick is good at ONLY ONE THING: to play well enough to convince you that your young prospect is not worth developing, right before FitzTragic arrives and turns into a puddle of mud.

Y'all are whistling past the graveyard.  Fitzpatrick has already convinced many of you that Tua - a rookie with a 6-3 record - is actually a bust and MIA needs to be looking out for an upgrade.  This is what Fitzpatrick has done his entire career.


Title: Re: Poor QB development/evaluation from Flores, and the danger of Fitzpatrick
Post by: dolphins4life on January 03, 2021, 11:22:57 pm
Yes, we shoud not chase wins.  We shoud try to ose.   To me, I thin Fores was trying to find a baance between trying for the payoffs and trying to devep Tua.  If the Dophins were not in a payoff race, I thin he woud have eft Tua in onger.   However, the reaity is, with the season on the ine, the Dophins choed again, as they have consistenty done throughout my time as fan, barring 2016.  The main thing I eep thining aout is the Raiders game.  How coud Tua have ooed so bad, yet Fitzpatric come in and spar the team?


Title: Re: Poor QB development/evaluation from Flores, and the danger of Fitzpatrick
Post by: fyo on January 04, 2021, 04:28:20 am
I disagree. We had a chance at a the playoffs and the experience that would have given Tua and the young team would have been invaluable. Now, if you could have forced Tua to play much more aggressively, sure, you could have kept him in, but the coaches kept saying they wanted him to protect the ball and, historically, he has been very interception-averse, so no surprise getting him to change gears was a challenge. I think the Bills game will have taught Tua more than most of the other games combined. I'm very optimistic for next year!


Title: Re: Poor QB development/evaluation from Flores, and the danger of Fitzpatrick
Post by: masterfins on January 04, 2021, 11:43:06 am
I disagree with practically everything Spider said.


Title: Re: Poor QB development/evaluation from Flores, and the danger of Fitzpatrick
Post by: Spider-Dan on January 04, 2021, 04:45:15 pm
I encourage anyone who disagrees to re-examine their expectations for Tua at the start of the season, and consider why they have changed now.


Title: Re: Poor QB development/evaluation from Flores, and the danger of Fitzpatrick
Post by: Dave Gray on January 04, 2021, 04:52:04 pm
I'm with you in general, but I'm the opposite in that I believe that Tua should've been starting all along.  Assuming he was healthy, I wanted him to have camps, reps, experience, all that.

But commit.  Sink or swim with your Rookie QB.  Fitz seems like such a short-sighted play to me.


Title: Re: Poor QB development/evaluation from Flores, and the danger of Fitzpatrick
Post by: ArtieChokePhin on January 04, 2021, 05:16:09 pm
There just isn't a big enough sample size to evaluate Tua at this point.  He didn't really have an offseason and very limited snaps in training camp because of COVID and that hip injury. 

He looked brilliant in Arizona and in San Diego.  He went toe to toe with two young QB's that were Heisman contenders and more than held his own.  But once the Denver game rolled around, he played very conservatively.  Not sure if he was experiencing growing pains or if the coaching staff was having him protect the ball.

Regardless, he was a top five pick.  You can't just discard him.


Title: Re: Poor QB development/evaluation from Flores, and the danger of Fitzpatrick
Post by: masterfins on January 04, 2021, 06:11:56 pm
IMO it seemed the plays being called all year for Tua were very conservative in order to bring him along slowly.  Hence, when he needed to step it up against Buffalo he wasn't able.  But you also need to take into consideration that Buffalo was way ahead on the scoreboard, the team that's ahead can take more chances, especially when they already had a pass to the playoffs.  I would have preferred Miami drafting Herbert, and I said so then, but Tua really hasn't done anything for me to say get rid of him.