Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2026, 02:16:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  A question for people that wear glasses...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A question for people that wear glasses...  (Read 5260 times)
bsfins
Guest
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:51:10 pm »

Why is it people that wear glasses,stick with glasses that don't fit,don't help them see better..or flat out don't wear them?

The front desk girl,(over the past 4-6 weeks,This morning being the latest) is damn near blind without her glasses,yet tells me someone was asking if I was was here.I ask did you get a name? She replies,they didn't leave one,or Said it was John..and left....I ask her what they looked like...She said I don't know I wasn't wearing y glasses.I ask could you tell how tall they were,what color hair? What were they wearing? Her Computer monitor is set at like 640 x 480,read can almost read it from the break room  Cheesy She says her eyes get tired looking at her computer monitor....

My Mom is just as bad...She refuses to wear her glasses,constantly get the wrong thing at the store,or says they were out,or she didn't see any.

So I'm not trying to knock people that wear glasses,I'm just trying to understand....Why make things harder by not wearing them?
Logged
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 994


I'm not going to type anything here....


« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:13:51 pm »

As someone who wears glasses the thing I hate most is choosing a new pair. The most obvious problem is that as soon as you put them on, they haven't got your prescription in them, so you can't see what they look like quite as well. Now my eyes are pretty good, I don't technicaly need glasses to drive in, but the subtle difference in vision is enough to throw of confidence when choosing, throw in a lot of people like myself aren't sure what looks good and what doesn't, and selecting a pair of glasses is a minefield.

As for sticking with an out of date prescription, there is a decent chance that she doesn't realise there is a problem, as the eyes degrade they start to tense up to compensate, but the changes are so small over time you don't notice how much you are straining to maintain your vision until you put the new lenses on.
Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 28299

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:14:38 pm »

I stopped wearing glasses about 15 years ago in favor of contacts.  I am blind as a bat without them.  Sorry, I can't answer, but I know that when I had glasses, I hated wearing them, but did so out of necessity.
Logged
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 994


I'm not going to type anything here....


« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:18:13 pm »

^^

See I love the idea of contacts but I can't wear them for any length of time because my eyes are too dry, the most I get out of them is 3 to 4 hours and they're not comfortable for that time, so the only time I wear them is to play football, because I can't wear glasses under the helmet Smiley
Logged
StL FinFan
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 7153


Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:40:48 pm »

I stopped wearing glasses about 15 years ago in favor of contacts.  I am blind as a bat without them.  Sorry, I can't answer, but I know that when I had glasses, I hated wearing them, but did so out of necessity.

same here
Logged


Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4930



« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 02:49:00 pm »

I've worn glasses since I was around 8. I LIKE wearing glasses and switch between a cute pair or 2 and my contacts. I don't have a choice. I am almost blind and cannot see without them. Seriously. I used to have a restriction on my license.

My mom goes with me and helps me pick out a cute pair. I find if they're super cute, I don't mind wearing them.

With that said, I'm looking into LASIK but am probably not a good candidate for it.
Logged

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15218



« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:29:28 pm »

I only need to wear glasses to read at a distance. 

So they come in handy when driving somewhere unfamiliar cause otherwise it is hard to read the names on street signs or if I am in the back of a lecture hall with an overhead projector that has smallish writing.  I keep mine in the car and only wear them rarely. 

I know with my parents (both who did not need glasses growing up but now need them for reading) it was purely an issue of being unwillingness to admit to getting old.  Dad was particularly bad.

Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 3174



« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:48:22 pm »

I am blind as a bat without my glasses/contacts. I wear my glasses more often because I have dry eyes and contacts bother be over a long day.  I was also blessed with a nasty astigmatism so that poses challenges too. I can't imagine now wearing one or the other, all I see are blobs unless it's right in front of me. 
Logged

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4930



« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 04:00:50 pm »

I am blind as a bat without my glasses/contacts. I wear my glasses more often because I have dry eyes and contacts bother be over a long day.  I was also blessed with a nasty astigmatism so that poses challenges too. I can't imagine now wearing one or the other, all I see are blobs unless it's right in front of me. 

I have an astigmatism, too. I find that I see better in my glasses than my contacts.
Logged

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
fyo
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 7563


4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium


« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:31:21 pm »

All the people I know who really need to wear glasses... do. I think my sisters have been the most reluctant to wear them -- not only because of the aesthetics, but because they are extremely "sporty".

Both my parents and all (3) of my siblings wear glasses, but I got lucky and dodged the bullet (didn't quite dodge other less-than-ideal traits, though Wink ). My wife also needs (and wears) glasses, so it'll be "interesting" to see if our children will need them... I'm just hoping they'll at least get through elementary school before developing any problems. That's gotta be the worst time to need glasses.
Logged
TonyB0D
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4624


Crank it up!!


Email
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 07:25:52 pm »

i have TERRIBLE eyesight without corrective lenses.  i also have astigmatism in both eyes.  i see way better in my contacts than i do my glasses, i actually have way better than 20/20 while wearing them.


i was going to get lasik surgery, but due to a bad experience with my wisdom teeth, i will never get it done.
Logged
YoFuggedaboutit
Guest
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 08:41:59 pm »

i have TERRIBLE eyesight without corrective lenses.  i also have astigmatism in both eyes.  i see way better in my contacts than i do my glasses, i actually have way better than 20/20 while wearing them.


i was going to get lasik surgery, but due to a bad experience with my wisdom teeth, i will never get it done.

What bad experience did you have with your wisdom teeth?  I've been knocked out for surgery three times, and been ok in all three.
Logged
TonyB0D
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4624


Crank it up!!


Email
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 01:28:12 am »

What bad experience did you have with your wisdom teeth?  I've been knocked out for surgery three times, and been ok in all three.

they cut the nerve to half my face, permanently can't feel anything :-(
Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31356

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 01:32:07 am »

I have had glasses for several years now.  I noticed my vision starting to slip in college, got checked, and had astigmatism.

I have thought about getting contacts, but haven't yet.  ...mostly due to cost and the fact that I'm not all that motivated to do it.  No reason.  I like the look of glasses.

There are a few negatives:
- my eyes get tired if it has been a long day
- laying on my side with them on is uncomfortable
- when I play aggressive sports, I have to choose whether or not to wear them
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Brians Stalker
Senior Member
****
Posts: 436


« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 07:54:35 am »

I have no choice but to wear one or the other or I am blind without them.  I HATE wearing my glasses though.  Since I am used to wearing contacts, I don't feel comfortable driving in my glasses because I really have no peripheral vision.  For my contacts though, I wear the Night and Day lenses that you sleep in for 30 days at a time.  I would never go back to normal lenses that you take out every day.

I am also thinking about Lasik.  I have 2 brothers who had it done and had great results.  They don't put you to sleep for it though Tommy, and that is where I have my problem with it.  I don't think I would be capable of holding my eye still and watching the scalpel come at it.
Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines