Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:29:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  It's stupid that MLS isn't on TV.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: It's stupid that MLS isn't on TV.  (Read 1705 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: July 26, 2023, 10:50:48 am »

My local team just got Messi.  I don't give a shit about soccer.  I watch the World Cup and the Olympics.  But I also like a spectacle.

I would totally check out a game on TV, and who knows....maybe become a fan out of that.

But this struggling league isn't on local TV.  You can't watch the games.

I just don't understand.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 11:52:49 am »

The national MLS broadcast rights belong to Fox.  The streaming rights belong to Apple TV.

Here are the details.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 11:56:18 am »

I was at a restaurant and it was on every TV in the joint.  Not sure what channel or what service but they definitely had it on TV.

I just searched through my Xfinity and it couldn't even tell me when the next game is.  Apparently AppleTV+ has a add-on subscription.  But I also read that FoxSports has an exclusivity deal.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 12:45:41 pm »

I received a free subscription from my cell phone provider. I'm hearing that the days of local sports programming is on the way out.  We will see if it catches on or how quickly.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 04:04:49 pm »

In an unprecedented deal ... Apple is paying Messi a shit ton of money to play in the MLS so if you are going to watch him you are going to have to take that bite. Had Miami footed his salary you probably would be seeing him on tv.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 04:07:48 pm »

So, are the games on FOX or no?

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 04:10:48 pm »

Joe Rose was talking about this today and I believe you can watch it on Univision but you need Apple TV to watch it in English.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 06:17:27 pm »

So, are the games on FOX or no?

When there is a national game.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 06:18:35 pm »

In an unprecedented deal ... Apple is paying Messi a shit ton of money to play in the MLS so if you are going to watch him you are going to have to take that bite. Had Miami footed his salary you probably would be seeing him on tv.

The deal with Apple happened long before he was coming to MLS.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 11:12:31 am »

apple tv + has every game, if you were into it, you'd subscribe .. you're a meh soccer fann by your own admission and the league right now has had years and years of exposure over local airwaves and is making a whole ton more from giving apple the exclusivity deal
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 01:42:11 pm »

apple tv + has every game, if you were into it, you'd subscribe .. you're a meh soccer fann by your own admission and the league right now has had years and years of exposure over local airwaves and is making a whole ton more from giving apple the exclusivity deal

I just wonder if it's doing what boxing did years back.  It made things so exclusive that it was a sport that was only for existing fans and wasn't creating a new generation.

I'm a meh fan, for sure.  So, there's a 0% chance that I'm paying to watch soccer on TV.  I get their strategy, but it seemed long-term stupid to me.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 08:42:13 pm »

The deal with Apple happened long before he was coming to MLS.
Not exactly sure what you are implying but Messi getting a cut of revenue from new subscribers to Apple TV's MLS Season Pass streaming service was pivotal to his contract as well as him getting a cut from Adidas for all the new Miami jerseys sold. He would have neither had he not signed in Miami and played in the MLS.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 11:05:34 pm »

You said if Miami was solely paying him games would be on TV. That has nothing to do with it because Apple already had their exclusive deal. You wouldn't get any more games on TV with or without Messi.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 11:23:32 am »

You said if Miami was solely paying him games would be on TV. That has nothing to do with it because Apple already had their exclusive deal. You wouldn't get any more games on TV with or without Messi.
Gotcha

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray