Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:25:36 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Facts and Myths of the Dolphins upcoming draft.........
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Facts and Myths of the Dolphins upcoming draft.........  (Read 14913 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 06:50:37 pm »

^ It's hard to "hit" when you change coaches,and philosphies,and direction every year or two..... But that's another arguement...

...but it's a really good argument, and "extremely" relevant to this thread.

Building a football team in the really-real world of the NFL is the same as building any other business within a highly competitive market. It requires a solid plan, and it needs consistency and leadership in the decision-making. If you change plans, and planners, every couple of years, you undermine your ability to grow, and you consistently have parts of your business that don't fit with other parts of your business. Look at some of the great franchises in NFL history, whether it's the old Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, or the current elite...Patriots, Colts, and you see a number of different ways of building a winning organization, but all had one thing in common...consistency in the decision-making.

Enter Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland...maybe even, to a lesser extent, Sparano.

This is what I wish for the Miami Dolphins; that Parcells and Ireland settle in for "at least" 4-5 years, and as many more as their hearts feel up to. I want the same decision-makers in our draft room next year, and the year after, and the year after, etc... I want a cohesive plan to build a consistent winner, and I want the solidarity to carry that plan out. I want players that fit the system, because it was the same system they were brought into in the first place. I want players developed on a schedule so that when the starters' talents start to fade, more talent is ready to replace them on the field to avoid the penthouse-to-outhouse express roller coaster. I want this to be the last time we ever hear the words "with the #1 pick, Miami selects..." I want a team that regularly bitchslaps the Jets, Patriots and Bills, so the fans of the bitchslapped will keep their pie-holes closed on a more consistent basis. I want to win...and then next week, I want to win again.

What more could any fan really want? Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 06:59:07 pm »

^ It's hard to "hit" when you change coaches,and philosphies,and direction every year or two..... But that's another arguement...

then what was Wannastadt's excuse?

doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2008, 07:30:03 pm »

In keeping with Stroke's thesis, you need people in charge of player personnel who are consistently good at it. Wanny unfortunately was a persistently poor judge of talent, albeit in a consistent way.

Wanny did have a vision and philosophy....A good defense, Jay Fiedler at QB, a good ball control running game, and try and win a lot of close 17-14 defensive slugfests in the 4th quarter. With some decent talent he inherited, he had winning  teams at first, but with his insistence on sticking with the elf, terrible drafting, and desperation trades, the team declined and worsened. Wanny had a vision, but it was a flawed one and ultimately doomed.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 07:39:04 pm by doctord56 » Logged

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2008, 08:13:52 pm »

Wanny did have a vision and philosophy....A good defense, Jay Fiedler at QB, a good ball control running game

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 08:16:46 pm »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Now I didn't say Wanny had a good vision or good philosophy....believing in Jay Fiedler as a championship level QB is more like a hallucinogenic vision.

But getting back to my point, and Stroke's theorizing, is that consistency of management and an ongoing  overarching philosophy in building a team is extremely important, but the caveat is that it has to be consistently good. (as opposed to consistently bad Wannastadtian levels of ongoing, overarching, shiteousness).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:24:31 pm by doctord56 » Logged

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
bsfins
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2008, 10:48:40 pm »

I agree with what Stroke is saying,but as a fan, I'm worried Bill Parcells will cut in run in about 2 years...I just hope that the people he puts in place learn enough,to be worth a damn 4-5 years down the road.....

Wanny had to 4 years of shear ignorance....before losing power that final year....to Spielman,for a year,then Saban...Blah,Blah...Wanny was a major believer in the 1 player away theory,Screw the future,Win now,mentality....(see the Ricky Williams trade )

I'm sorry for hijacking the draft thread....I was just trying to make the point...(Which Stroke made my point make sense...)

Edited to Reanswer Defens5499's question properly...

Also the same Continuity issue happened with Wannstedt...the difference was it was the coordinator position,and it still rings true today..
Under Wanny....
Our Defensive coordinator..Jim Bates 2000 - 2004

Offensive coordinators
00 -01 Chan Gailey
02- 03 Norv Turner
04  Joel Collier,then Chris Forrester

Still to this day,we've had a change in in our Offensive coordinators through Saban and Cameron
05 Scott Linehan
06 Mike Mularkey
07 Cam Cameron

Defensive coordinators... 2005? Richard Smith,Dom Capers 06-07
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 11:57:14 pm by Lil B » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray