Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:44:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Mayock giving Kiper run for 'draft guru' throne
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mayock giving Kiper run for 'draft guru' throne  (Read 3506 times)
DolFan619
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:25:43 am »

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspbricker20sbapr20,0,595939.column

Mayock giving Kiper run for 'draft guru' throne

Charles Bricker
Sports Columnist

April 20, 2008

I've got the headset on and my fingers are flying across a computer keyboard, desperately trying to keep up with draft guru Mel Kiper Jr.'s Gatling gun delivery on a 60-reporter conference call hosted by ESPN.

Slow down, Mel. What did he say? "I ... don't ... watch ... anything ... he ... does." OK. Got it. And then Mel added, a bit backhandedly I thought: "He works hard, like everybody does."

That wasn't Kiper assessing the prospects of some Penn State linebacker. That was Kiper summing up his alter ego and the pretender to his throne, Mike Mayock, over at the NFL Network.

By pure coincidence (I think), Mayock also was holding a conference call this day, and when I asked him if he has the inside track on Kiper because he works for the NFL and has access to a lot more information, it was the perfect opener for a counter-zinger.

"I'm the son of a football coach," Mayock said. "The one thing I know about football people is they don't give things away gratuitously. But to me, I don't look at this job as a media job. I'm trying to get respect as a football guy, not as a TV guy."

This isn't nearly Clinton vs. Obama, but there has been some testiness in the air since Kiper's unimpeded, 21-year run as television's doyen of the draft was challenged in 2005 by the league's all-football, all-the-time TV network.

Mel is piping his staccato voice into twice as many homes (an estimated 90 million) as Mike, but the NFL Network has more expansion upside, and Mayock, as an ad hoc employee of the league, has access to scouting reports and tapes that Kiper's deepest burrowing mole can only dream about.

The two men may be trying hard to keep this competition from getting too edgy, but there is no doubt that it's there, despite Kiper's insistence that he doesn't see Mayock as competition. "Hey, the more, the merrier," said Kiper, pointing out that the two of them are hardly the only draft mavens in business.

But does Kiper really not sneak a peek at Mayock's mock drafts, as in, "I don't watch anything he does." I doubt that. Mayock, meanwhile, isn't proud. "I'd be lying if I said I didn't look at his mock draft," he admitted, properly respectful.

They do the same job, are about the same age (Kiper is 47, Mayock 49) and, at times, sound as if they're reading the same cue cards. In fact, they couldn't be much more different.

Kiper's speech is rapid-fire and full of bluster. Mayock is slower, more professorial. Kiper has a perfectly coiffed 1950s head of dark hair swept back and looking as if it has been locked in place by half a can of Consort spray. Mayock, even pushing 50, looks like the kid next door — boyish and with his hair more or less perfectly parted on the side.

Kiper never played the game, as they say. Mayock did, as a defensive back at Boston College, and was drafted in the 10th round by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1982. He played three years for the New York Giants, without distinction.

But don't mistake Kiper's lack of football playing talent with his inability to assess a draft. He's pretty much on target every year and there's no disputing the amount of time he throws into his research.

The Huddle Report, one of dozens of online draft Web sites, last year pulled together every mock draft they could find, probably even a few from the neighbors.

Kiper scored a 48, good for seventh place. Mayock had a 45, close behind. One point was given for each player correctly identified as a first-rounder and a bonus two points for each player placed with the right club.

"I've known Mel a lot of years," Mayock said. "We used to work Senior Bowl games for ESPN. I think there's a lot of mutual respect."

There's also a lot of mutual desire to be king of the draft mountain. Kiper may have reached the peak first, but Mayock has planted his flag up there, too.

It's a two-dog race now. It's going to drive me a bit crazy on draft day, but I guess I'll have two TVs going in the same room.

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 01:31:20 pm »

I watched the coverage on NFL NEtwork last year, and must admit I like Mayock better. Kiper comes across as a know it all, who its trying to make you feel stupid, Mayock comes across as a guy sitting next to you at the bar, talking about players.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

Kiper is a pompous ass.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 01:54:53 pm »

Kiper gets paid to analyze and make decisions according to what a team may need.  Its not that he is an ass or a Know-it-all.  It what he is paid to do.  Not like most of the 32 Teams in the War room actually listen to his ass Roll Eyes

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:05:31 pm »

Kiper gets paid to analyze and make decisions according to what a team may need.  Its not that he is an ass or a Know-it-all.  It what he is paid to do. 

So what? Mayock gets paid to do the exact same thing. But his personality isn't as bad as Kiper's. Kiper comes across like an ass.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:17:03 pm »

So what? Mayock gets paid to do the exact same thing. But his personality isn't as bad as Kiper's. Kiper comes across like an ass.

1994 Draft:  Colts pick two defensive players when they need a QB

Mel Kiper:  "The Colts have no one to make intelligent draft decisions for them.  That's why they're picking first or second every year.  I can't believe they're going to go with Jim Harbaugh at QB."

Colts owner Jim Irsay's response:  "Mel Kiper can say what he wants, but he doesn't come out to training camp every year.  He's not putting on an athletic supporter and practicing."

Gotta agree with you there Philly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:53:01 pm by Tommy » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 08:19:37 pm »

Gotta agree with Philly, I am a much bigger fan of Mayock than Kiper, not only because Mayock knows more about football than Kiper, but because he doesn't come across as an obnoxious prick.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Guru-In-Vegas
Uber Member

I found it cheaper on the internet

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 10:40:13 pm »

^ Could it be because everything he says some people take as gospel?  Maybe he does think he is a god but more so because people hang on his every prediction.
DolFan619
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 11:08:42 pm »

Kiper comes off as a pompous asshole.  Anytime a team passes on a player that he feels is better suited for that team, he gets all pissy and goes on one of his "holier than thou" rants.  Kiper gets it wrong more often than right.  Mayock is actually informative, he actually talks about the player, breaks down film, and you get a through explanation.
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 07:58:39 am »

Draft analysis is a joke in itself.

How many picks will they get right in the 2nd round ? 2 maybe ? Why bother paying attention ?

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray