Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:01:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sparano wants Jake Long to learn from Taylor & Holliday
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sparano wants Jake Long to learn from Taylor & Holliday  (Read 1265 times)
DolFan619
« on: May 03, 2008, 08:11:49 pm »

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-long-taylor0503,0,2705766.story

Sparano wants Jake Long to learn from Taylor & Holliday

By Omar Kelly
Sun-Sentinel.com

7:00 PM EDT, May 3, 2008

DAVIE - Dolphins coach Tony Sparano has advised Jake Long it would be in his best interest to become instant buddies with Jason Taylor and Vonnie Holliday.

Sparano's hope is that the Dolphins two veteran pass rushers will take a liking to their new teammate, and eventually mentor the draft's No. 1 overall pick, speeding up his development as the team's starting left tackle.

"They need to be your best friends," Sparano said he told Long. "He kind of looked at me and wondered why I would say something like that. I've seen it all the time happen to young players. They go against the veteran players and the veteran players can help them with some of the craft, some of the things they expect, or that give them some problems.

"I think Jason can share some of that information with Jake. Vonnie can share some of that with Jake, and it will help him to be a better player," Sparano said. "He needs to really stay in their hip pocket."

First, Long must actually meet Taylor, who the Dolphins held trade discussions about during the draft but never moved. Taylor won't return to South Florida until his stint on Dancing With The Stars is over, which could be in late May, depending on how far fan votes take him in the competition.

While much has been made of a frigid encounter between Taylor and team vice president Bill Parcells over Taylor being the only veteran to miss last month's voluntary workouts, Sparano reiterated there is no serious rift.

"I think it's been overblown," said Sparano, who said he's spoken with Taylor. "As long as I know what's going on with Jason and he knows what's going on with me, I think we're in good shape."

Last month Sparano said he supported Taylor's efforts to raise his profile by competing in the popular dance competition. Sparano said he's gone over a workout plan with Taylor, who should return from Hollywood in time to participate in June's organized team activities.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray