Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:23:55 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sparano: Taylor not attending training camp
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Sparano: Taylor not attending training camp  (Read 12211 times)
DolFan619
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:22:25 pm »

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/05/sparano-taylor.html#comments

Sparano: Taylor not attending training camp

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano just dropped something of a bombshell that we all saw coming.

"This is what I know and I'm glad we know this," Sparano said. "We got new information and that's important. I know that Jason is not going to be at any OTAs [Organized Team Activities]. I know that Jason is not going to be at any minicamps. I know Jason is not going to be at training camp.

"Jason is a player under contract with the Miami Dolphins. He knows that. Both parties are well aware of the information. That's all I'm going to say about it."

And that's all he said.

Taylor, through his agent, has requested a trade on several occasions. And the agent, Gary Wichard, has told the Dolphins that Taylor will not report for training camp unless he is traded ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS.

Although Sparano portrayed this like it's "new information," it really is not.

Taylor's thinking is simple: He wants to play for a winner and he doesn't think the Dolphins are that team. The Dolphins, Taylor believes, are in a rebuilding mode and that doesn't fit his agenda, which at 33 years old, is to win a championship.

So Taylor ain't showing. He wants out. And he wants out now. He wants to play football, just not for the Dolphins. This is the proverbial tip of the iceberg, people.

As I've been stating to a chorus of accusations that I sensationalize, the situation promises to get very ugly. Uglier than it already is.

If Taylor isn't traded before the season in September, don't be surprised if he threatens to retire.

The Dolphins, meanwhile, can't really do anything about this matter right now other than continue efforts to trade him. So far Taylor has missed only voluntary workouts. Starting with the June 6-8 mandatory minicamp, Taylor becomes subject to team fines.

And the team will fine Taylor for every day he misses in training camp and grow angrier that such a distraction is threatening to overshadow the building of a team. And knowing the antagonists involved, don't be surprised if it gets personal when folks become frustrated enough to start speaking on the issue publicly.

What was once a win-win situation is now looking like a lose-lose.

If the Dolphins had done the logical thing and traded Taylor for a draft pick or picks around draft time, they would have added ammunition for building their team. Taylor, meanwhile, would have been happy to thank the team for 11 wonderful seasons and gone onto trying to win a championship for himself and new team. Win-win.

But the Dolphins put a ridiculous asking price on Taylor (a first round pick) that no one was willing to pay. So of course, no one made a trade offer. So Taylor is still on the team, but he is about to conduct a holdout while the team has a soap opera on its hands. Lose-lose.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:10:03 pm by DolFan619 » Logged
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:27:56 pm »

It also seems that the new regime does not want him to stay.  I would bail too, if I wanted a chance to win a championship before I retired.  Good luck Jason and thanks!

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
AprFools_Phins

On the Coast of Somewhere Beautiful

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:42:57 pm »

Although I hate it when players do this- I can understand where he is coming from. I agree with STL this regime is treating him like they don't want him- which is terrible considering what he has done for this team. Ol Wayne said that if Taylor wanted out all he had to do was say the word...and now when he wants out they do this crap.

doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:46:20 pm »

Ahh, Phooey on Jason Taylor. A 7.5 million dollar contract per year, he's made tens of millions in the dolphin uniform , and he won't deign to show up for training camp in order to force a trade? I'm sorry if the dancing and prancing prima donna had his tender feelings hurt by Parcells. What a selfish prick.

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
DolFan619
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 02:53:42 pm »

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/05/21/0521dolphins.html

Jason Taylor tells team he won't attend any training camp sessions

By CARLOS FRIAS
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

DAVIE — Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor will not be attending any off-season workouts, including the main training camp that begins in July, coach Tony Sparano said today.

Sparano revealed Taylor's plans for a boycott at a previously scheduled news conference.

Sparano was asked if Taylor is trying to force a trade.

Sparano resonded by saying he will not be commenting on the situation until he has more information.

Sparano continued: "This is my reaction with the Jason Taylor situation, and I'm going to answer this question one time. I'm not going to answer another question about the Jason Taylor situation after I answer this.

"Here's what I know: What I know is that Jason Taylor - and I'm glad we've gotten the information; that's important - I know that Jason is not going to be at any OTAs (organized-team activities). I know that Jason is not going to be at any mini-camps, and I know that right now, that Jason is not going to be at training camp.

"So that's what we know. Jason's a player under contract with the Miami Dolphins. He knows that. Both parties are well aware of the information. That's all I'm going to say about it. I want to talk to my players now."

Taylor's agent, Gary Wichard, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Taylor, long the subject of trade talks since Bill Parcells took over as executive vice president of football operations after last season, already had said he would not attend any voluntary workouts or mini-camps.

Today, he was on a publicity tour for "Dancing With the Stars," the reality show he concluded Tuesday.

Earlier he said he didn't need extra workouts to get ready for the season.

"I know how to get into a three-point stance," Taylor, the former NFL defensive player of the year, said recently.

gocowboys31
Uber Member

F$U sucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 02:55:56 pm »

Way to stand up to that fat overrated slob JT. What the hell has parcells won since he left the giants. Parcells could pull this shit with some 3rd string scrub, but no with the face of the franchise. Parcells made no attempt to make taylor feel comfortable, unlike saban who went out of his way to use JT to the best of his ability. And don't give me this crap about leadership and setting an example, because even if taylor took the high road and got on board with the plan, parcells would've traded him if he got the right deal.

Kudos for JT for not allowing the dolphins to dictate his future and going out on his own terms. Take that Fat tuna.

Some teams play for the BCS title, some teams play in the Emerald bowl.  Urban Meyer
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 02:57:58 pm »

Clearly Taylor has no loyalty towards us, why should we have loyalty to him?

He's given us a lot of great years, and we cheered for him.  If he wants to stop, so do I.

Zach is a different story.  He was forced out, as a business decision.  I respect that, and wish him the best.   If Taylor is taking off for more prestige elsewhere, screw 'em.

I drink your milkshake!
Guru-In-Vegas
Uber Member

I found it cheaper on the internet

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 03:07:12 pm »

What a shame.  JT you suck.  I hope you end up with a shittier team and we beat the shit out of you.  What a shitty way to go. 
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:09:47 pm »

When it comes down to it, I'm a fan of the Miami Dolphins, not of one or two particular players.

See ya Jason.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
bsfins
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 03:14:55 pm »

When it comes down to it, I'm a fan of the Miami Dolphins, not of one or two particular players.

See ya Jason.

Word...couldn't have said it any better....
DolFan619
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 03:17:07 pm »

Jason Taylor is not bigger than the Miami Dolphins.  It was fun cheering for him over the past ten seasons, but now it's time to move on.  See ya, Jason.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 03:19:44 pm »

Jason Taylor is not bigger than the Miami Dolphins.  It was fun cheering for him over the past ten seasons, but now it's time to move on.  See ya, Jason.

JT if you are reading this -- I would love to root for you next year! 

Come join many of your good buddies.  Wes and Sammy say hi and that the would love to play with you again. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Guru-In-Vegas
Uber Member

I found it cheaper on the internet

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 03:21:42 pm »

^ Whats it like to be a salesman for the devil?
gocowboys31
Uber Member

F$U sucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:29:19 pm »

Wow.........Armando Salguero just reported on 790 that if taylor isn't traded by Training camp he will retire.

Some teams play for the BCS title, some teams play in the Emerald bowl.  Urban Meyer
DolFan619
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 04:00:05 pm »

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2008/05/fins-sparano-ex.html

Fins: Sparano makes JT rift public

The inevitable occurred. A situation that was increasingly inside-ugly is now officially outside-ugly. This is why Dave Hyde and I kept writing that the Dolphins needed to move Jason Taylor by the draft -- even if they didn't get a premium price for him.

Today, Tony Sparano surprised the media by stating that Taylor would not be at any OTA days, minicamps or training camp practices. Then he refused further questions.

More details are necessary before I comment too much further, but here's the story we just posted. Many readers, who still believe the media are responsible for manufacturing this story, may feel differently after reading Sparano's comments. We've been writing that Taylor wanted to play for a contender. He does. His representatives have made that clear for a while. The Dolphins, by not trading him by the draft, asked for this distraction.

I don't know specifically what triggered Sparano's response today, when he has been careful to praise Taylor publicly in his previous media sessions. The tension has been building for months. Taylor said all the right things about football on Dancing with the Stars yesterday, but he did not apologize for missing the OTA day or the minicamp in his most recent ESPN blog.

I'm not aware, at the moment, that Taylor or his representatives pressed the trade issue in the past few days. He's been busy with his DWS responsibilities, taking a private jet to NYC last night for Good Morning America and Regis and Kelly this morning.

This change in public approach seems to be coming from the Dolphins, not Taylor.   

It looks like Sparano, Bill Parcells and company -- having already largely lost the public relations battle on this -- have decided to play hardball and really call Taylor's bluff. Parcells did something like this a couple of months back, saying that Taylor could play for the Dolphins or retire, (as Parcells was still entertaining offers for Taylor). But this takes the posturing to another level.

Remember what I wrote last night, and have been writing for a while.

Most likely option: Taylor is traded, which is his wish.

Next likely option: Taylor retires, because the Dolphins refuse to grant his wish.

Least likely option: Taylor plays for Dolphins.

Now that Parcells has stubbornly held onto Taylor through the draft (and as Taylor was making himself more appealing in Hollywood and less appealing to other teams), he may not get much for the defensive end. And if he won't get much anyway, he might just force Taylor's retirement rather than take a 4th round pick to give Taylor the privilege of playing for a contender. So the "retiring" is moving up the ladder, and the "trading" is moving down.

Again, this story is bound to change as the day progresses.

But that's my initial thought.

> Posted by Ethan J. Skolnick at 1:32:20 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray