Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:41:57 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sparano: Taylor not attending training camp
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Sparano: Taylor not attending training camp  (Read 12213 times)
DolFan619
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 04:08:29 pm »

Jason Taylor gone AWOL

The Jason Taylor and Bill Parcells' cold war has officially become the ultimate game of chicken.

Taylor has recently informed the Dolphins that he will not be participating in ANY of the team's offseason programs, and according to head coach Tony Sparano, "right now" Taylor's plan is to NOT participate in training camp.

That revelation, which can be read about here, hit like an atomic bomb in Dolphins-land.

The Trifecta obviously didn't like Taylor's decision to dismiss this week's OTA's to participate in a media tour for Dancing With The Stars, and Taylor has obviously disliked how he's been treated by this new regime.

Taylor's kept it kosher till now. He requested a trade privately that didn't happen. He's pumped his hometown, South Florida, during the competition, and even used Will Smith's song Welcome to Miami for his final performance.

But it appears Taylor would rather be saying "Goodbye to Miami," after 11 seasons.

Taylor's camp has floated out the possibility of retirement for months, hinting that movie deals could be in the works. He's meeting with studio executives this week to talk about his Hollywood future. But is there really a role waiting for him, and is he willing to walk away from the $16.5 million he's expected to make over the next two seasons?

Could JT seriously pull a Jim Brown move and walk away from the game in the prime of his career.

Is that what this is all about, or did the Trifecta tell Taylor he might as well not report in July if he's going to miss all of June?

If things are so great for you without football, how about trying life without it now. See you when we see you.

Disclosing Taylor's planned absence turns the tables on him and his camp, making him now look like the bad guy, and lightening the warden's villain status a bit.

No longer can Taylor be viewed as the South Florida star trying to set up his next career by missing "voluntary workouts."

Twinkle Toes Taylor now becomes the distracted athlete who has abandoned his franchise, the one that made him a wealthy superstar.

So which side are you on?

Would you prefer to hold Taylor hostage, making him sit out the season, or end his career prematurely? Or would you prefer to give the boot to a player who doesn't want to be part of what this new regime is building, even if he is a franchise player?

Do you feel Jason Taylor has a right to demand he finish out his career with a contender?

And does this whole soap opera change your views on this possible Hall of Famer?

Where do you stand?

> Posted by Omar Kelly at 1:31:36 PM
Guru-In-Vegas
Uber Member

I found it cheaper on the internet

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 04:12:15 pm »

I keep wondering why they keep being referred to as the trifecta.  Thats a bet in horse racing. 
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 04:16:03 pm »

I keep wondering why they keep being referred to as the trifecta.  Thats a bet in horse racing. 

But isn't a trifecta bet when you bet on which three horses will finish in the top 3 spots? I guess they are calling the three leaders (Parcells/ Ireland/ Sparano) the trifecta since they are the top 3 in the Fins football operations side of things.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
bsfins
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 04:35:10 pm »

I have to question something that could be mistaken for something that Parcells said,when in actuality it's what Omar Kelly is infering....

Is that what this is all about, or did the Trifecta tell Taylor he might as well not report in July if he's going to miss all of June?

If things are so great for you without football, how about trying life without it now. See you when we see you.

Disclosing Taylor's planned absence turns the tables on him and his camp, making him now look like the bad guy, and lightening the warden's villain status a bit.

sorry for knit picking...I've been pretty bored all day.....
Guru-In-Vegas
Uber Member

I found it cheaper on the internet

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 04:38:04 pm »

But isn't a trifecta bet when you bet on which three horses will finish in the top 3 spots? I guess they are calling the three leaders (Parcells/ Ireland/ Sparano) the trifecta since they are the top 3 in the Fins football operations side of things.

I guess it makes sense.  I was just looking at it literally and being an asshole.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 04:41:17 pm »

Way to stand up to that fat overrated slob JT. What the hell has parcells won since he left the giants. Parcells could pull this shit with some 3rd string scrub, but no with the face of the franchise. Parcells made no attempt to make taylor feel comfortable, unlike saban who went out of his way to use JT to the best of his ability. And don't give me this crap about leadership and setting an example, because even if taylor took the high road and got on board with the plan, parcells would've traded him if he got the right deal.

Kudos for JT for not allowing the dolphins to dictate his future and going out on his own terms. Take that Fat tuna.

Even though I have nothing against BP.  Wow, I agree GC,  #1 for the year.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 04:43:41 pm »

I guess it makes sense.  I was just looking at it literally and being an asshole.

A more accurate title would be "triumvirate".
From wikipedia-The term triumvirate (from Latin, "of three men") is commonly used to describe a political regime dominated by three powerful individuals. The arrangement can be formal or informal, and though the three are usually equal on paper, in reality this is rarely the case.

But I guess trifecta is easier!

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 04:56:39 pm »

For those of you that brought up Wayne's remarks a few weeks back- remember, he gave TOTAL control of football operations to Bill and is now saying he won't interfere with the Taylor/Parcells issue:

Huizenga won't interfere in Taylor matter
Posted on Tue, May. 20, 2008Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
By BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

With Dancing with The Stars having ended Tuesday, Jason Taylor plans to return to South Florida later this month and speak with the Dolphins. But though owner Wayne Huizenga said this week he would be happy to talk with Taylor if he wants to play elsewhere, he made clear he is not going to tell Bill Parcells how to handle the matter, and feels no need to smooth over the Taylor/Parcells relationship.

Huizenga said neither Taylor nor agent Gary Wichard have called him to request a trade and he expects Taylor will play for the Dolphins next season. Though Taylor has never said it publicly, numerous media outlets have reported Taylor wants to play elsewhere, with one close associate reiterating that returning to a rebuilding project is not a good fit for him.

''I like Jason -- he's a great guy and I would do anything for Jason,'' Huizenga said by phone. ``We all want to do what's right for Jason. . . . [But] as far as I'm concerned, he's happy [here]. He is a fantastic player. How could you not want him on the team?''

If Taylor asks him for a trade, how would Huizenga handle it?

''If Jason wanted to do that, we would consider it,'' Huizenga said, adding no meeting with Taylor has been scheduled. ``I would tell him that I would talk to Bill and [coach Tony Sparano]. I would not make that decision.''

What would the Dolphins be willing to accept in a trade? ''That's not my decision,'' Huizenga said. ``That's for the experts -- you're looking at Bill and Tony.''

As numerous reports indicated, Taylor told people he was unhappy that Parcells gave him the cold shoulder when he visited team headquarters last month. Taylor told ESPN he has spoken with Parcells for only about 30 seconds since he took over. But Huizenga indicated there's no need to intervene in their relationship because ''I don't believe'' there's friction. ``They are fine.''

Despite Parcells' earlier assertion that Taylor would not be traded, a high-level NFC executive said the Dolphins called his team before the draft, asking if his franchise would be interested in acquiring Taylor, but wanted at least a second-round pick. All Dolphins players are required to attend a minicamp June 6-8.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/540757.html

Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 05:11:44 pm »

I really have no clue what is really being said between Taylor and the Phins Admin. but I can say that the drama and distraction that has been developing and looks to only get worse is not a positive for the team as they move forward.

I don't side with JT on this one.  I think he is being foolish.  He is no actor and whoever is telling him that he is needs to stop lying to him.  He has no guarentee of winning no matter what team he goes with and quite frankly could be in a pretty good situation in Miami within 2-3 years.  All he is doing is pissing off fans and tainting his legacy as a NFL player!

Overall, I just want the drama to get resolved!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 05:16:14 pm »

.  He has no guarentee of winning no matter what team he goes with and quite frankly could be in a pretty good situation in Miami within 2-3 years.

He only has 1 or 2 year left in him, maybe 3 at the most.  No guarantee he will get a ring somewhere else.  But he won't play January football in miami, too much rebuilding, and he is too old.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 05:18:42 pm »

He only has 1 or 2 year left in him, maybe 3 at the most.  No guarantee he will get a ring somewhere else.  But he won't play January football in miami, too much rebuilding, and he is too old.   

How do you know he only has 1-2 years left? How old is Michael Strahan? He'll be 37 this November, and he just won a SuperBowl after years of being on mediocre teams.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:21:20 pm by Philly Fin Fan » Logged

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 05:28:04 pm »

This is crazy. 
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 05:28:52 pm »

Wow, I'm agreeing with Cowboys and Hoodie...nice, guys!

Taylor's salary, or legacy, or loyalty are all irrelevant.  He'd be paid the same or more elsewhere, would have been as good or better if surrounded by talent rather than John Avery, Jamar Fletcher et al, and would have received the love and adulation he got here.  Taylor played excellent football for this team for 10 or 11 years and was betrayed by bad management and bad coaching.  I cannot blame him for wanting to leave the league on a winning note.  Though I won't root for his new team, I hope he succeeds wherever he goes.

Also: the last time an egomaniac coach/GM ran this team, we got 62-7.  The bombast is the same, I hope the result isn't.

How do you know he only has 1-2 years left? How old is Michael Strahan? He'll be 37 this November, and he just won a SuperBowl after years of being on mediocre teams.

The NYG also have a borderline franchise QB with 3 or 4 years under his belt and some nice receivers.  Miami's banking on a rookie or a second year guy, and Ted Ginn.  Situations are different.

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 05:35:34 pm »

The NYG also have a borderline franchise QB with 3 or 4 years under his belt and some nice receivers.  Miami's banking on a rookie or a second year guy, and Ted Ginn.  Situations are different.

Yes, and Strahan is 4 years older than JT is now. He was in NY when they had crappy teams also (remember, they had the #4 pick when they pulled the Eli trade off). So if the Fins are at the stage now that the Giants were at when they got Eli (and who's to say Henne won't be that QB?), JT could be playing in a Super Bowl a few seasons from now.

All I'm saying is that I could care less about his acting career after he leaves the Fins. Lets place a bet right now on how many main stream "acting parts" he gets where he doesn't play a football player.

Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 05:55:21 pm »

Clearly Taylor has no loyalty towards us, why should we have loyalty to him?

He's given us a lot of great years, and we cheered for him.  If he wants to stop, so do I.

Zach is a different story.  He was forced out, as a business decision.  I respect that, and wish him the best.   If Taylor is taking off for more prestige elsewhere, screw 'em.

Dave I need to take the 99 out of my Moniker.......7.5 Million? If thats what the Dolphins are willing to pay him per the contract then he needs to man up and take the ca$h and do the right thing. He's going out like a punk. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray