Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:54:32 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Giants DE Michael Strahan will retire
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Giants DE Michael Strahan will retire  (Read 3890 times)
DolFan619
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:30:29 pm »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8225886/Coming-off-Super-Bowl-win,-Strahan-to-retire#

Coming off Super Bowl win, Strahan to retire

By Jay Glazer
FOXSports.com

Updated: June 9, 2008, 11:03 AM EST

The New York Giants will begin their road to a defense of their Super Bowl title when mini-camp begins on Wednesday. That defense, however, will be attempted without the services of their team leader, Michael Strahan.

Strahan has told FOXSports.com exclusively that he has decided to retire.

After a lengthy and — for Strahan — up-and-down decision-making process, Strahan said he's hanging up the cleats and wanted to finalize a decision before his teammates gathered for their mini-camp. For months, fans, other players, and his own teammates have wondered whether he would return or not.

"It was important that my teammates knew which way I was going before they got on the field to start the work to defend our title," the team's all-time sack leader said from California. "It's time. I'm done."

Strahan finally made up his mind a week ago but wanted to take the extra days to make sure his feeling on the matter was 100 percent.

He has long believed retirement was the route he would choose but the finality of it gave him problems. In the past two years, Strahan said he has spoken with many high-profile retired players and asked for their advice on retired life, the emotions of the decision and how they knew they were done. The one consistent theme was this: Once you're done, it's forever. Thus, the finality was what posed the biggest problem for Strahan in making the ultimate decision.

"It's a tough decision but I wanted to be fair to the Giants and fair to my teammates," he said.

He leaves the Giants as the team's all-time quarterback sack leader and a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer. He also leaves after having donned the Blue and White more than any player in Giants history.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:45:28 pm »

Good decision for him.

I still hate that he got the sack record.  It's not really his fault, but it still sucks.  I would rather have celebrated him tying it legitimately than winning it through bullshit.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 03:18:28 pm »

It is a good move.  Almost impossible for him to end on a more positive note. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 03:21:43 pm »

Again?
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 06:23:48 pm »

Do you think this would make the Giants an option for JT?

I still hate that he got the sack record.  It's not really his fault, but it still sucks.  I would rather have celebrated him tying it legitimately than winning it through bullshit.

I'd rather see that Strahan has it than that punk Mark Gastineau. 
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 06:54:12 pm »

they have no one to offer us in return except for picks, and they're already pretty stacked at Dline
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 07:06:43 pm »

The gap between Michael Strahan's 2 front teeth is so big that I could kick 2 footballs through it at the same time.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 07:56:03 pm »

I was thinking the same thing. They might blow a conditional 2nd rounder on a chance to go for another title. Maybe even a 3rd rounder and David Tyree who I heard is expendable? We need receivers..........

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 12:20:11 am »

I may not like someone who has a record, but if they earned it, they earned it -- good for them.  Strahan didn't.

I drink your milkshake!
ethurst2
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 12:27:55 am »

I was thinking the same thing. They might blow a conditional 2nd rounder on a chance to go for another title. Maybe even a 3rd rounder and David Tyree who I heard is expendable? We need receivers..........

Why do I get the feeling that David Tyree might be another Larry Brown in disguise?
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 03:29:54 am »

I thought he was going to play one more season Huh

ethurst2
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 04:48:44 am »

Just a thought...

Do you think that Jason Taylor knew some inside stuff about Strahan retiring and was hoping that the Dolphins would make a deal with the Giants, maybe Taylor for a second rounder with Ahmad Bradshaw or David Tyree thrown in for good measure?
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:41:10 pm »

Just a thought...

Do you think that Jason Taylor knew some inside stuff about Strahan retiring and was hoping that the Dolphins would make a deal with the Giants, maybe Taylor for a second rounder with Ahmad Bradshaw or David Tyree thrown in for good measure?

Taylor doesnt know shit. Never underestimate the Tuna though......... Wink

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 03:29:23 pm »

Just a thought...

I don't think they'll give up Jacobs or Bradshaw..... a RB by committee is the way to go nowadays. 

I'd give them JT for Jeremy Shockey and David Tyree.  They get an impact replacement for Strahan.  We get an instant upgrade at TE, and a capable WR. 
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 03:33:20 pm »

Just a thought...

david tyree is awful, there's a reason he had like 3 catches the past 2 seasons....he just happened to make 1 good catch his entire career.  and no way they'll give up bradshaw - he's awesome and we don't need RBs.  i'd take boss tho....
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray