Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2026, 07:00:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  how do you write to a soldier
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: how do you write to a soldier  (Read 5616 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 3202


« on: June 17, 2008, 02:01:06 pm »

it's something i have wanted to do since the two wars began, but i never really knew how to do it. So if anyone could help me out, that would be great.
Logged
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 11671

MaineDolFan
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:45:44 pm »

One resource for you.

http://soldiersangels.org/index.php?page=adopt-a-soldier
Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15955



« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:47:49 pm »

It sounds difficult to write to someone you don't know. I guess one place to start is by explaining why you felt the desire to write to a stranger. That should lead right into an interesting letter.
Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 03:17:32 pm »


Not sure what the process is for writing to a soldier, but if you feel like scribbling to a midget, I'd direct you to:

http://midgetscribblers.org/index.php?page=scribble-a-midget




Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
bsmooth
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4639


I love YaBB 1G - SP1!


« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 03:26:23 pm »

It sounds difficult to write to someone you don't know. I guess one place to start is by explaining why you felt the desire to write to a stranger. That should lead right into an interesting letter.

Most of them said the same thing, " Thanks for doing this job". " We are proud of you", etc. The ones from the kids usually had drawings.
Logged
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 3174



« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:46:37 pm »

I can also recommend http://anysoldier.com/

I've sent care packages. My BIL left yesterday for a 15 month tour
Logged

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15955



« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 08:42:12 pm »

Most of them said the same thing, " Thanks for doing this job". " We are proud of you", etc. The ones from the kids usually had drawings.

I don't know Raptor, but I was suggesting somethng deeper. Not just a thank you, but a real explanation as to what drove him to write to a stranger. Some real deep down soul searching shit. Depending on the reader they could say this guy is a nut or they could look at it and say wow, this guy really felt something and put it down to be shared.
Logged
bsmooth
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4639


I love YaBB 1G - SP1!


« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 01:01:42 am »

I don't know Raptor, but I was suggesting somethng deeper. Not just a thank you, but a real explanation as to what drove him to write to a stranger. Some real deep down soul searching shit. Depending on the reader they could say this guy is a nut or they could look at it and say wow, this guy really felt something and put it down to be shared.

I dont know man. I can only speak from my personal experience, but after coming off a 16 hour or longer day outside the wire or searching vehicles and people for explosives, I would not be up for a deep letter, just a few words to keep my morale up works miracles.
Logged
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 3174



« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 08:35:26 am »

My notes are usually short, sweet and to the point. When I was doing care packages, I always included paper, pens and envelopes for the soldiers (they don't need stamps, their mail is sent for free)

Logged

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 11671

MaineDolFan
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 11:39:19 am »

When I was in D/Shield & D/Storm my girlfriend sent me naked pictures of her all the time, along with cookies and D&D coffee.

Try sending some guys naked pictures of yourself!

Smiley
Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pats2006
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 2357

2009, 2014 Fantasy Football Champion

XxDevilDog
WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:10:15 pm »

Send some cair packages.  I loved those when I was in Iraq!!
Logged

SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 3174



« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 12:23:23 pm »

Pats, what was useful? Like I said, my BIL left on Monday for a 15 month tour, so I'd like to send him some care packages but I'm not positive what is really useful
Logged

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Pats2006
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 2357

2009, 2014 Fantasy Football Champion

XxDevilDog
WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 07:23:12 pm »

Baby wipes and tuna are big!!  Candy, Mags, any thing that will not break open in the box.   
Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31366

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 11:36:54 am »

Does the Army still look the other way on stuff like weed?
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Frimp
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 5996

Swallow Yer Hat Cause Ye Ship is Sinking...

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 04:04:48 pm »

Baby wipes and tuna are big!!  Candy, Mags, any thing that will not break open in the box.   

I was going to say that. I have a few buddies over there, and they've told me that they'd rather have wet wipes than pretty much anything else.

Cigars are also popular.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines