Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:35:10 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  What is the worst time of the sports year for you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What is the worst time of the sports year for you?  (Read 6609 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:29:06 pm »

Just looking for some good discussion to pass the time until training camp. 

For me, the worst time of the sports year is between now until late July when NFL Training Camps open.  Basketball and hockey are both over.  Football hasn't started yet.  Baseball is in it's midsummer lull, as no one wants to watch the Reds and Brewers play on a Wednesday night in front of 4000 fans. 

Any thoughts?
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:46:49 pm »

I'm not much of a Hockey or Basketball fan so I'd have to say Feb-April . We have the NFL draft in April and Baseball usually satisfies me until The NFL gets back into the full swing around July. I'm starting to dig Golf more and more as well .

TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 02:48:05 pm »

even tho i'm a HUGE hockey nut, i need more than 1 sport to concentrate on.  for me, the dead time is when hockey is in mid-season, baseball isn't even at spring training yet, and it's still far enough before the draft that no one's even put out a mock yet.  that time blows.
simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 07:58:32 pm »

For me its late January(superbowl)to April (baseball starts).
I do not like hockey or basketball, though I will tune into Arena football every now and then, but I am not sure when there season begins or ends.

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, and whom ever shall believe in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 12:24:05 am »

For me its late January(superbowl)to April (baseball starts).
I do not like hockey or basketball, though I will tune into Arena football every now and then, but I am not sure when there season begins or ends.

I agree. I just don't get Pro Basketball. Its like watching a ping pong Tournament. Back and forth.......back and forth........slam dunk, back and forth, 3 pointer........back and fourth......my neck hurts just thinking about it.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:25:13 am »

This is the worst time of year to be a sports fan. At least lympic trials are starting so I will have something to watch.
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 08:39:22 am »

I gotta agree with simeon. Although I'll watch hoops, it's not No. 1 for me. Baseball and Football almost line up perfectly, but not quite. There's always that lull after the Superbowl

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:49 am »

There is only one real downtime for me - the few weeks between the Super Bowl and pitchers and catchers reporting.  And those weeks are usually spent with my nose stuffed into player files or tapes.

Basically there is no bad stretches for me in regards to sports.

And Tommy - if you require people in the stands to make baseball enjoyable it's not your sport, pal.  Some of the best games in history were not well attended.  The Brewers are a great, young team - I'll watch them any night of the week!

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:08:43 am »

Really, its right now...

Although I like baseball, this point in the season is when baseball is at its boring-est.  There's no pennant chase, and the new-season excitement has died down.  Hockey's over and basketball blows.  For me, its June thru August - the time between Stanley Cup finals and Preseason football.

Those few weeks after the super bowl are bad too, but the NHL regular season is winding down toward the end of March and there's Spring Training baseball so its not hard to squeak thru that stretch.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 10:19:20 am »

I love all 4 of the "major sports" leagues (NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB). So for me, the day before, and the day after the baseball All Star game suck. Thats the only two calendar days of the year without any games in the 4 major sports.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 10:36:59 am »

There is no bad time of the sports year...

the day before, and the day after the baseball All Star game suck. Thats the only two calendar days of the year without any games in the 4 major sports.

Yeah, but that's when they schedule the championships of midget thai boxing, so there's still quality sports out there....

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DolFan619
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:45:03 am »

For me, the worst time of year in the sports calender is the current period we're in.  The NBA season is over, the real excitement of the baseball season is still a ways away, NFL Training Camps don't open until next month, and college football doesn't crank up until late August.
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member

I'm not going to type anything here....

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 01:09:57 pm »

I'm Dolphin-UK and I'm a sports addict........

I will watch any sport on TV, obviously my favourite is NFL, but that is covered either side by the English Premier league (soccer).  When those two aren't on I have my motorsport (anything i can get my hands on).  I'll also pay attention to cycling, olympics, hell I've even found myself trying to understand baseball lately Indifferent

The lack of football and soccer probably causes the most difficulty, but remember, I play football over here and our season runs over the summer, so I can get football all year round!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 01:20:12 pm »

I agree with Tommy.

I can watch the playoffs of anything in a pinch.  So, I don't watch a lot of NBA or MLB during the season, but I catch the end.  Baseball, right now, is like Sominex.  NBA is over.  NFL is over.  NCAA Basketball is way over.  I don't watch any hockey anymore....maybe if the Panthers made the playoffs, I would.

So, until the baseball playoffs roll around and football starts up, it's slow time.

I drink your milkshake!
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 01:24:19 pm »

The gap between the Super Bowl and spring training.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray