Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:01:48 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Top 50 players in the league (sportsline)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Top 50 players in the league (sportsline)  (Read 3163 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« on: June 27, 2008, 08:23:13 am »

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10877567/rss

Any listing of even the top 2 players, let alone the top 50, will be controversial...

Even so, there are a few major points I disagree with completely. JT is missing from the list, that's a mistake, but, OK, considering his status, maybe he wasn't really being considered.

Moving on, look at the top quarterbacks:

1) Brady
2) Manning
3) Palmer

WHAT? Carson friggin Palmer is the third best quarterback in the league? By what metric? He's had 3 years of declining performance (his whole career as a starter). Sure, it's all been solid (going from very good to average), but if you're looking at the best quarterbacks RIGHT NOW (or as of last year), how can you possibly choose Palmer over Drew Brees?

Brees has had better traditional stats the past two years and his advanced metrics are even better. And looking at his games, well, he's just a much better quarterback.

He also has lists Roethlisberger before finally taking Brees to round out the top 5 quarterbacks. (The only ones on the list).

Top 5 running backs:
1) LaDanian Tomlinson
2) Adrian Peterson
3) Brian Westbrook
4) Stephen Jackson
5) Fred Taylor

I agree completely with the #1 pick here, but I'd slot Westbrook in at #2. Peterson is a rookie and he might turn out great or he might turn out like Cadillac... It's also noteworthy that when Peterson went down, Chester Taylor (!!!) kept it going with no drop in production. That makes me think: REALLY GREAT OLINE, not necessarily one (or two) of the best running backs in the game.

As for Steven Jackson, you've gotta be kidding me. The only way he even gets close is with a massive oline adjustment, which the author obviously isn't doing or Peterson wouldn't be there. Anyway, Jackson is massively overrated for a simple reason: Inflated stats. Lots of 6 yard runs on 3rd and 7. Lots and LOTS of garbage time yards. Look at his two best games last year. 115 yards against TB in week 3 and 143 against GB in week 15. They lost those games 24-3 and 33-14 respectively (down 3 scores in each). Seriously, it's not hard to rack up yards when you're that far down.

He had some really good games in 2006 and I'm guessing that memory coupled with the inflated stats last year is what gets him a spot.

Uninjured, I'm confident Ronnie would have cracked the list as well. I really hope he'll return to that level of performance, but it's probably not going to be this year.
simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:04:48 am »

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10877567/rss

Moving on, look at the top quarterbacks:

1) Brady
2) Manning
3) Palmer

Top 5 running backs:
1) LaDanian Tomlinson
2) Adrian Peterson
3) Brian Westbrook
4) Stephen Jackson
5) Fred Taylor

I would place
1.Manning-A true go out and get them gun swinger.
2.Brady- How much did the spying help him.
3.Romo- Shaky in playoffs.
Running backs
1.LaDanian Tomlison- He is the real deal
2.Adrian Peterson- If keeps playing at the level of his rookie year, he will become #1.
3.Michael Westbrook- Consistent
4.Ronnie Brown- Up to his injury he was having a better year then all these other RBIs.
5.Stephen Jackson- His is on my radar to drop off my top 5.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:06:22 am by simeon » Logged

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, and whom ever shall believe in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:07:38 pm »

2.Adrian Peterson- If keeps playing at the level of his rookie year, he will become #1.

Yeah he had great numbers, but how do you explain Chester Taylor putting up arguably better numbers behind the same line?

Sounds like Peterson is VASTLY overrated.
simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »

Yeah he had great numbers, but how do you explain Chester Taylor putting up arguably better numbers behind the same line?

I would say no, Adrien was a rookie, with great stats. Chester Tylor is a seasoned pro with many years in the league. If Chester really was better the Vikings would move him up to number one instead of two on the depth chart.

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, and whom ever shall believe in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.
BingeBag
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 04:43:12 pm »

Roethlisberger even being mentioned in the top 20 is a joke. He is the most average quarterback around.

Antonio Gates in front of Tony Gonzalez by like 30 spots, really?

Vince Wilfork should be about 10 spots higher, if not 15.

This list looks like it came from someone who doesn't watch football games, but does watch the highlights on Sportscenter.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 01:40:53 pm »

I like Fred Taylor, but he seems to stick out like a sore thumb on this list.

I drink your milkshake!
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 06:51:32 pm »

Only two O linemen. Ridiculous.
Rick
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 08:19:16 pm »

I disagree that Adrian Peterson is vastly overated.  He was a beast as a rookie for Minnesota....and was pretty much unstoppable for 3 years at the University of Oklahoma (except for a few injuries).   This kid is an amazing talent at running back...he has speed, power, catches the ball well out of the backfield and can block if he has to. 
After his rookie performance,  I can see why AP is ranked #2.....soon to be #1  Wink

Its just not football without something to pass around!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray