Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:48:51 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sparano: Defense 'not good enough'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sparano: Defense 'not good enough'  (Read 967 times)
DolFan619
« on: August 10, 2008, 03:48:39 am »

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/635944.html

Sparano: Defense 'not good enough'

BY SARAH ROTHSCHILD
Miami Herald

Coach Tony Sparano implored the Dolphins defense during halftime to execute better.

`We've got to get off the field,' '' linebacker Akin Ayodele said Sparano told them during the intermission. ' `We have to minimize our time of possession and give our offense opportunities.' ''

It didn't happen, as the Dolphins lost the time-of-possession battle and allowed Tampa Bay's offense to move with ease in beating Miami 17-6 in its preseason opener Saturday at Dolphin Stadium.

The Buccaneers controlled the ball for 36 minutes, 11 seconds, compared with the Dolphins' 23:49. Tampa Bay amassed 295 yards -- 204 passing and 114 rushing -- and capitalized on third downs. The Bucs ended up with 21 first downs, and converted 11 of 20 third downs and both of their fourth downs, bullying and wearing down the Dolphins. Tampa's Brian Griese orchestrated a 19-play, 78-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter, converting three third downs and a fourth down to keep the drive alive.

''The third downs killed us,'' linebacker Channing Crowder said. ``We have a long way to go.''

Sparano seemed to think so too, voicing his displeasure with the defense's play.

''We got into a situation where we were on the field way too long,'' Sparano said after the game.

The Dolphins allowed the Bucs three drives lasting longer than five minutes.

Sparano used three words several times while assessing the defense: ``Not good enough.''

The Dolphins seemed sharpest with their starters on Tampa's first offensive drive. Tackle Jason Ferguson sacked Tampa quarterback Luke McCown for a loss of 8 yards on the first play. He said he wound up playing a total of six or seven snaps.

''I got in there, I got my hands on him, that was fun,'' Ferguson said. ``The first play for a nose guard you can't ask for anything better than that.''

The Dolphins finished with three sacks, but said they need to take major strides before next week's preseason game against Jacksonville.

Rookie defensive ends Kendall Langford and Phillip Merling started and earned praise for their play, however the presiding sentiment is that the Dolphins had too many breakdowns collectively.

''We gave up too much on the running game,'' Ferguson said.

``It's the first preseason game. It's a big deal, no doubt, but at the same time we're going to work hard.''

Cornerback Will Allen said one thing he thought the unit needs to do is ``play faster.''

Heading into an off day Sunday, this much is certain: There will not be a shortage of things for the defense to work on when training camp resumes Monday.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray