Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:18:26 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Beck’s chances dwindling
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Beck’s chances dwindling  (Read 8584 times)
DolFan619
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:56:02 am »

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/miamidolphins/entries/2008/08/16/becks_chances_dwindling.html

Beck’s chances dwindling

By Edgar Thompson | Saturday, August 16, 2008, 08:45 AM

It’s been an up-and-down week for quarterback John Beck.

But that’s an improvement from his first week or so of Dolphins training camp, which was pretty much a downer for Beck.

The question now is what kind of week will Beck have next, and will it end with him still in a Dolphins uniform?

Beck heads into tonight’s pre-season game at Jacksonville on the heels of a solid couple of days of practice. When coaches let him throw the ball, he generally did it with the confidence and accuracy that had been missing earlier in camp.

By week’s end, though, Beck was the subject of an Internet rumor that he’d been released. Beck, the No. 40 pick in last year’s draft, wasn’t pleased by the report. Speaking to my colleague Ben Volin, Beck, a devout Mormon, referred the rumor as “crap.”

But there’s little question that Beck’s future with the Dolphins is in limbo as the team decides whether to keep him or six-year veteran Josh McCown.

How many snaps either get tonight remains to be seen. Coaches want to see a good bit of newly acquired QB Chad Pennington running the offense and continue to develop rookie Chad Henne.

Beck started last week’s pre-season opener against Tampa Bay and didn’t do anything exceedingly well or poorly during three series. He completed three straight passes at one point. A Bucs DE tipped one of Beck’s passes at the line, and Beck fumbled and recovered the ball on a sack.

The most encouraging thing was Beck didn’t look rattled, like he did during his rookie season when he accounted for two TDs and eight turnovers in five games.

This past week, Beck maintained his composure and made the most of his chances. Focused on Pennington and Henne, coaches allowed Beck to throw one pass during team drills Monday and none on Tuesday.

But on Wednesday and Thursday, Beck got a good bit of work and showed a number of times that he still throws the prettiest deep ball among the Dolphins four QBs.

Beck still makes some inexplicably off-target throws, probably more than his competition does. During red zone drills, he locked into a receiver and was picked off in the end zone.

But Beck did flash potential. If he’d done more of that early in camp, instead of throwing a high number of interceptions and incompletions, the Dolphins might feel a little more confident keeping him as one of Pennington’s back-ups.

Beck still might have a chance to stick around. The team doesn’t have to cut down to 53 players until Aug. 30.

But Beck’s opportunities - few and far between already - clearly are running out.

Dphins4me
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 10:07:57 am »

The most encouraging thing was Beck didn’t look rattled, l

Weren't the majority of the Beck detractors saying he was still looking like a deer caught in the headlights the other night?

Just goes to prove that when people are biased, they see what they want to see & not what is actually there. 

I posted in the "Beck not cut" thread that I was not seeing what they were seeing & this helps me believe what I was seeing was accurate.

I actually went back last night to watch the game again to see if maybe I simply was not paying attention the first time & still did not see the deer caught in the headlights look.

Beck has the talent to be in the NFL.  Its simply the matter if Miami will give him the time to develop.  They expected to much to soon, simply because he was older. 

This situation is not much different than with Jason Allen.  They threw him into a pile of sh-t & expected him to make it smell like roses.  Not gonna happen.

I just wonder if Beck will go down in what seems like a long line of players Miami has jettisoned to quickly.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:25:58 am by Dphins4me » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 10:28:47 am »

Weren't the majority of the Beck detractors saying he was still looking like a deer caught in the headlights the other night?

So if he looks like a deer in headlights 20-25 times, and then a blog writer says that he didn't look rattled once in a preseason game, and it all goes away, eh?

You have an agenda with Beck...I understand that, and it's no problem...but please don't come up here and proclaim him to be a great QB every time he completes a preseason pass.

You quoted the line in the article that best supported your point...allow me to do the same:

"But Beck’s opportunities - few and far between already - clearly are running out."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dphins4me
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:57:20 am »

So if he looks like a deer in headlights 20-25 times, and then a blog writer says that he didn't look rattled once in a preseason game, and it all goes away, eh?

So others can quote things reporters say, but I'm not allowed.  Gotcha.  We are going practice hypocrisy here.    Thanks for informing me of this.

You have an agenda with Beck...I understand that, and it's no problem...but please don't come up here and proclaim him to be a great QB every time he completes a preseason pass.

I was accused of having an agenda with Jason Allen also, but my only agenda is to point out the major flaws in the opinions on players being done wrong.

Find one place I have ever said such a thing.  You cannot, so get your fact straight before coming at me.  This is where you get asinine.   The only thing I have ever said, is to give him time to learn.  If you get by the fast food football most of you seek then you would see he had the talent to play in the NFL.  Now where he might could ascend to is unknown.

You quoted the line in the article that best supported your point...allow me to do the same:
  I quoted the line to rebuked what some where saying.  Beck did not have that look the other night.

Plus, the report was about him losing his chances, but went on to say what he was not doing.  Something some posters here are hanging their hat on.

"But Beck’s opportunities - few and far between already - clearly are running out."
  Yes, he opportunities are running out..  Why?  Because it appears most expect experienced play from an inexperienced player.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:18:25 am by Dphins4me » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 11:46:55 am »

People will see what they wanna see.  Once you hit them with the Men in Black flashy thingy and let them watch the guy with an open mind, they might see something they didn't expect.

People who want Beck gone will focus on the bad and dismiss the good as anomaly.

To all the Beck haters - just try to give the guy another shot.  You may think he sucks, but you may also be wrong.  It is possible.  Forget what you saw last season, judge SOLELY based on what you see tonight.

(of course there's a snowball's chance in hell of any Beck haters saying anything good about the kid but it was worth a shot)
Rick
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 11:52:07 am »

Just goes to prove that when people are biased, they see what they want to see & not what is actually there. 

Beck sure looked pretty fuckin scared when he fumbled (again) and got sacked....is this another one of those "bash John Beck Blogs" because it seems pretty posititve towards Beck?  Maybe the reporters are calling it as they see it...maybe John Beck has been the worst Qb in camp and that is what they have been seeing....maybe, just maybe Wink

Its just not football without something to pass around!!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 11:56:11 am »

So others can quote things reporters say, but I'm not allowed.  Gotcha.  We are going practice hypocrisy here.    Thanks for informing me of this.

Oh, please...I never said you couldn't quote an article, please don't be so boo-hoo melodramatic here.

If you get by the fast food football most of you seek then you would see he had the talent to play in the NFL.

That'd make a nice cliche' soundbite, but it means nothing. He doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL...or ya know what? He'd be playing. He's not...he's sliding out the back door with his mediocre talent in-hand. By this time next season, there won't even be much mention of Beck's ever having been here.

Yes, he opportunities are running out..  Why?  Because it appears most expect experienced play from an inexperienced player.

Goofiest of all your comments to this point... "Most" people's expectations have nothing to do with Beck failing here. Parcells-Ireland-Sparano's opinion is the only thing that matters with Beck's future in Miami, and your continued atttempt to blame fan and media comments for it is nothing short of pure insanity.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dphins4me
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 12:09:21 pm »

Beck sure looked pretty fuckin scared when he fumbled (again) and got sacked....is this another one of those "bash John Beck Blogs" because it seems pretty posititve towards Beck?  Maybe the reporters are calling it as they see it...maybe John Beck has been the worst Qb in camp and that is what they have been seeing....maybe, just maybe Wink
  How in the heck can you think you see that? 

He got sacked.  That will happen to every QB from time to time.  They blitz & he had no where to go & he was trying to find a way out.  What do you want him to do, just stand there like an Indian statue without trying to dodge defenders?   Talk about grasping for something negative to write about.  Someone smacked the ball out of his hands.  His fault for that, but again that is not something new to Qbs. 

Maybe they are, but I find it hard to believe that he is still on the team if he sucks as badly as they are writing.

The mistakes I see Beck making are the same mistake a majority of inexperienced Qbs make.   Learning to play Qb in the NFL is not a quick study thing for most college Qbs. 
Dphins4me
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 12:24:28 pm »

Oh, please...I never said you couldn't quote an article, please don't be so boo-hoo melodramatic here.
Guess you fooled me with your comments then, by reading between the lines it sure said that, but I digress.

That'd make a nice cliche' soundbite, but it means nothing. He doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL...or ya know what? He'd be playing. He's not...he's sliding out the back door with his mediocre talent in-hand. By this time next season, there won't even be much mention of Beck's ever having been here.
Having the talent & being up to speed are two different things.   The problem is fans/media think all players come into the NFL as dominate as they were in college.  Its a whole new level. 

For a QB the offense is harder & the defensives are more complex.  It takes time to understand & process these things into split second decisions.  Some do it quicker than others.

Goofiest of all your comments to this point... "Most" people's expectations have nothing to do with Beck failing here.  Parcells-Ireland-Sparano's opinion is the only thing that matters with Beck's future in Miami, and your continued atttempt to blame fan and media comments for it is nothing short of pure insanity.
It is very clear in the moves they have made that Beck was never wanted in Miami under these guys.  He is not their type QB, which is understandable.    Why they are hanging onto him is something of note IMO.  If they thought he was not capable of playing in the NFL, then they would have cut him a long time ago & especially after signing Pennington.

I'm knocking the fans/media for not understanding that those 3 like bigger stronger QBs like Henne.  Its not that Beck sucks, its he is not the QB they want.  Is that hard for some to understand?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 07:07:33 pm »

You keep saying that Beck clearly doesn't have what it takes and that we should make way for Henne, but has Henne's camp/preseason looked any better than Beck's did last year?  I don't remember any particular criticism of Beck from you then.

Why are you so confident that Henne is indisputably the better future option for the Dolphins?  For all we know, he could look worse in a regular season game than Beck did.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 09:10:13 pm »

You keep saying that Beck clearly doesn't have what it takes and that we should make way for Henne, but has Henne's camp/preseason looked any better than Beck's did last year?  I don't remember any particular criticism of Beck from you then.

Why are you so confident that Henne is indisputably the better future option for the Dolphins?  For all we know, he could look worse in a regular season game than Beck did.

Henne has a stronger arm, a more accurate arm, better composure and pocket presence...the little things that distinguish a QB with a solid NFL future and one that probably doesn't. I can't imagine anyone watching both of them under center for more than a few snaps each without clearly seeing the extreme difference between the two.

~ Micah Leggat
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 09:11:26 pm »

Why does it have to be Beck or Henne?  Why can't it be Beck and Henne?

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Dphins4me
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 10:24:18 pm »

Why does it have to be Beck or Henne?  Why can't it be Beck and Henne?
  That is what I've been saying.  For some reason some Miami fans think that they have to bash Beck, because it appears Henne is better.  However, lets see Henne when the real games start, before declaring him the next best thing.
BingeBag
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 11:29:24 pm »

I figure Beck has the most value between him and McCown in the long run. Keep developing him, and release the older man.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 11:32:39 pm »

Can someone tell me how many plays John Beck participated in tonight?

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray