Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:05:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Beck’s chances dwindling
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Beck’s chances dwindling  (Read 8586 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 01:48:52 am »

Um, yes.  Actually it does.  Give a blind man a whiffle ball bat and toss him pitches, let him swing.  Throw him 100 and, sooner or later, he'll hit one.  Satele was that "one."
...and Brandon Fields would be what, exactly?  The new regime seems pretty comfortable with him, too.

I mean, if you want to bash Cameron, that's fine and all, but I don't think the draft is the place to do it.  I'd say his lone draft stands up pretty favorably to almost any other MIA draft in the last decade.  Look for yourself:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-miami_dolphins_draft_database,0,6521781.htmlstory

Given that we have no idea what the 2008 class will really look like until they get on the field, it's a little early to start throwing around accusations of blind men swinging wildly, unless you're ready to paint every other MIA coach with the same brush.

Ginn could develop into the next Joe Horn and he STILL won't be worth the draft position wasted on him.  Joey Porter was a mistake and a disgusting one at that.
So you don't think a 4-time Pro Bowler would be worth a #9 pick?  With that kind of criteria, the last 20 years of drafts have resulted in exactly two worthwhile picks at #9: Richmond Webb (7 Pro Bowls) and Brian Urlacher (6 Pro Bowls).  Kind of a harsh standard to hold Ginn to, don't you think?

As far as Porter goes, the current regime seems to think he's worth keeping, so I'm not sure how much there is to say on that.

When you're talking about the 40th and 57th overpick in the NFL draft - the two coaches staffs would have made significantly different choices in those situations.

Parcells never would have wasted the 40th pick on a guy that wouldn't have made Michigan's squad as a walk on (Beck).  That pick would have been used on a player that had a chance to contribute.
This is the same Chad Henne that couldn't pull out a win against a I-AA team, while QBing a BCS team that was ranked 5th in the nation.  I don't think we want to start throwing around college resumes.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 02:00:28 am »

Lest I be misinterpreted as a Beck fanboy:

All things considered, I'd actually prefer Henne to be the one to pan out.  He's younger, bottom line.  But I'm getting tired of the perpetual cycle of $NEWQB as the messiah while $OLDQB is the useless leper.

Let's actually see what Henne can do before we start tossing a second-round draft pick to the wind (with 5 whole games of playtime).  Is that too much to ask?

It's like people don't even consider the possibility that Henne could come in and look just as bad (or even worse!) than Beck did.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:03:15 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 09:31:39 am »

Henne already has an advantage over Beck - starting offensive players around him.  The Dolphins team around Henne this season is oodles better than the offensive skill set Beck had to work with last season.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray