Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:10:23 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Roth adeptly adjusting to new linebacker role
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Roth adeptly adjusting to new linebacker role  (Read 1533 times)
DolFan619
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:37:48 am »

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/08/20/a1c_dolphins_0821.html

Roth adeptly adjusting to new linebacker role

By CARLOS FRIAS
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

DAVIE — Matt Roth just moved down a weight class.

Throughout high school, the Dolphins defensive end-cum-outside linebacker battled against heavyweights in wrestling. He pinned every opponent he faced during his senior year at Willowbrook High in Villa Park, Ill., when he was 31-0 and selected as a high school All-America.

Roth, a fourth-year pro out of Iowa, is hoping that helps him in his duties as he starts his third week as the Dolphins' strong-side outside linebacker and starter in the season opener.

Roth said there are benefits to giving up grappling with offensive lineman for the smaller tight ends and fullbacks.

"I don't have to wrestle 600 pounds every down," he said. "It's easier on the body. Tight ends are easier."

However, he is finding there are many new challenges at his new position. For the first time, he is dropping into coverage, trying to keep the smaller, but quicker tight ends and fullbacks in front of him. The constant running to go out into coverage has been the biggest change for a player used to only rushing the passer.

If anything, it has been the one big adjustment he is wrestling with.

"That first week, I was dying out there," Roth said. "Finally, I'm starting to get my legs back. It felt like when I was running cross-country back in the fifth grade."

But this also is where Dolphins coach Tony Sparano thinks Roth's skills are best at work.

Sparano, who still calls this a tryout at linebacker, loves that Roth is not just a load for tight ends at 285 pounds, but has incredible strength in his hands, thanks to his wrestling days when he turned down the chance to wrestle at Iowa, a national powerhouse.

He is one of the team's strongest players and has shown the ability to keep plays from going to the outside, turning runs back toward the middle and flattening tight ends.

More importantly, Sparano said he loves Roth's "motor," his ability to gear up for every play and keep coming back, down after down.

"I love the way the guy plays," Sparano said.

Roth had been struggling to find his place with the Dolphins since former coach Nick Saban selected him 46th overall in the 2005 draft.

Roth has never started a game, and last season, under one-and-done coach Cam Cameron, was inactive for three games.

As the competition on the defensive line increased, with the Dolphins selecting Phillip Merling with the first pick of the second round this year, Roth's future there seemed less certain.

But the team felt he could make the move to linebacker, just as Greg Ellis did in Dallas.

The question is whether Roth can play that position at his weight, which is up about 15 pounds to 285 since he left college.

He is huge for a linebacker, but then so is Ellis, listed at 270 pounds.

The Dolphins think Roth's tenacity will make up for any loss in speed. And with a nagging hamstring injury to outside linebacker Charlie Anderson, who they expected would replace Jason Taylor, the Dolphins' hopes may be pinned to Roth's success.

"I feel I'm a good football player wherever I am," Roth said, "and I think this is best for me."

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 01:42:35 am »

go roth....i'm glad to see he has found a niche...he has been a player I have kept dabs on to see how he pans out and hopefully he is good at linebacker...i was never sold on anderson or torbar (sorry if the name is wrong) but I always thought roth had some talent...Roth has all the physical tools to be a star...I hope it comes to fruition.   
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray