Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:43:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins LB Porter steaming from the sideline
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins LB Porter steaming from the sideline  (Read 1527 times)
DolFan619
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:59:33 am »

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/651160.html

Dolphins LB Porter steaming from the sideline

BY JEFF DARLINGTON
Miami Herald

They weren't looking at one another when they spoke Tuesday, instead watching their team run through plays while both stood on the sideline, one man in front of the other, inside the Dolphins' indoor practice facility.

Vice president of football operations Bill Parcells turned his neck and shot a few words toward injured linebacker Joey Porter. Then Porter, who is facing a daily struggle becasue of strange back injury, returned a few thoughts of his own.

It went on for five minutes.

''Basically, he was telling me to stop pouting,'' Porter said. ``He sees me over there frustrated as hell, and he's telling me to stop looking like it's the end of the world. But it's easy to say that to somebody when you're not going through it.

``When something like this happens, it's hard for me to not show that I'm frustrated.''

How is that for a twist? If Parcells' highly publicized history has taught us anything, there would be no reason to expect him to acknowledge Porter at all, let alone tell him to chill out.

HATING INJURIES

Remember how tweaked Parcells became over Terrell Owens' hamstring injury in Dallas? Or when he was with the Patriots and infamously referred to receiver Terry Glenn as ''she'' when Glenn missed the preseason because of a hamstring injury?

Parcells doesn't like when players are hurt. Actually, he hates it, which should provide a dose of clarity into the extent of the problems facing Porter if Parcells and coach Tony Sparano are staying this patient.

''It's frustrating when you put in the amount of work I've put in, and I'm not as healthy as I want to be,'' Porter said. ``Frustrating as hell.''

Porter, a former Pro Bowl linebacker, has undergone a number of tests to pinpoint an issue that seems to have developed deep within his back. He has undergone a magnetic resonance imaging exam with no success. He also has been evaluated several times by team physician George Caldwell, as well as other neurologists.

They have tried an epidural and cortisone, neither of which has provided anything other than a temporary fix. Even the thought of a compressed disk can't be ruled out. Surgery would potentially be an option -- if anyone could figure out what to perform the surgery on.

And adding more issues to the situation, Porter tweaked his knee (part of the reason he missed practice Tuesday) by doing something that likely was an adjustment to compensate for the back pain.

LIMITED PRACTICE

Still, Porter was back on the practice field Wednesday, a day after he spoke to Parcells (for five minutes) and Sparano (for another 10 minutes) extensively about the ailments facing him.

But just because Porter practiced Wednesday, it doesn't mean he is healthy. Instead, because he doesn't know when or if this pain will ever cease, Porter is privately trying to do whatever he can to manage the injury and continue to play.

Publicly, he is refusing to acknowledge any pain at all.

''I do have sympathy when it comes to watching some guys trying to do what they're doing and not be able to do it,'' Sparano said. ``I have respect for that.

``I know the difference, I think, between some guys that this is really important to be out there, that really want to be out there, as opposed to maybe the opposite.''

Porter said his impatience and frustration stems mostly from the amount of work he put into his training this offseason.

Since March, he has been hitting the gym harder than ever after a tough season. He also said he was enthusiastic about finding a defensive system he likes.

''I've been working . . . since March,'' Porter said. ``My family is out in California while I'm here working. I'm not just putting in the work to get by. I'm putting in the work to get better. I want to lead this team.''

No doubt, the Dolphins need him to lead it, too. Miami is very thin at linebacker, made clear by the team's decision to move defensive end Matt Roth to the strongside spot. With Charlie Anderson still idled by a hamstring injury and Quentin Moses having a pretty mild preseason, Porter's value on the field is even more crucial.

But nobody needs to tell him that. Or Parcells. Or Sparano.

This back injury is likely to be something that nags Porter for weeks -- maybe even months. Nonetheless, he vows to fight through the pain. No matter what anyone tells him.

'Parcells and Sparano just told me, `Don't keep kicking yourself over this. Do what you need to do and get back as fast as you can,' '' Porter said. ``So we'll take it one day at a time. I'm just hoping each day I feel better than the last.''

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:14:11 pm »

another story for the Parcell is an ass file

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 12:58:43 pm »

Did you even read the article?
Rick
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:33:09 pm »

WTF are you talking about?  Cheesy

Its just not football without something to pass around!!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:58:41 pm »

Another quote to add to the 'Hoodie doesn't know what the hell he's talking about" file.

Better to be silent and thought of as ignorant than open your mouth and remove all doubt, Hoodie.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 02:26:04 pm »

Give Hoodie a break - his mom was picked up for soliticing again so she's not home to read the story to him.  Grin

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray