Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:10:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins secondary could be primary strength
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins secondary could be primary strength  (Read 933 times)
DolFan619
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:28:57 am »

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/652901.html

Dolphins secondary could be primary strength

BY JEFF DARLINGTON
Miami Herald

It happens every time he is asked the question. The lack of hesitation. The definitive tone. The fatherly instinct. Coach Tony Sparano's response to this one never changes.

When someone wondered aloud Thursday whether cornerback Travis Daniels was traded to the Browns this week because he wasn't hand-picked by Miami's new regime, Sparano made it clear that every player who made it to training camp has essentially been adopted.

''All of these players are my players,'' Sparano said. ``I've said that before, and I'll say it again. These players were picked.''

For proof that Sparano's sentiment is valid, a simple evaluation of the very unit that Daniels leaves behind should do the trick. Of the four starters in the secondary, three were on Miami's roster last season.

The only one who is new -- Chris Crocker -- just crept up to the top of the depth chart this week when he replaced Jason Allen (another holdover from the previous regime) at the safety spot opposite Yeremiah Bell.

Crocker is even convinced the group of players he just joined stands as the most talented unit this team has to offer.

That might be a tough sell against the team's running backs, but otherwise, he might have a point.

''I'm telling you, this is a group of guys, we feel like we are the best unit on this team,'' said Crocker, who is expected to start Saturday against the Chiefs. ``We feel like we have the most depth and we probably have the most experience.''

If that assessment holds true, it would be an intriguing concept for a unit that also has seen as little change at the top of the depth chart as any other Dolphins unit.

But before the new regime gets too much credit for some sense of open-mindedness when it comes to the secondary, Sparano admits he was somewhat surprised about the talent that existed within the group when he arrived in Miami.

''When I came here, and we kind of bunkered down there for the first couple weeks and started watching all of this tape, one of the areas that I was the most surprised in was the secondary, I really was,'' Sparano said.

STILL SOME CHANGES

The team made plenty of changes, including the additions of a few familiar players, such as Nate Jones, Keith Davis and Joey Thomas (all who came from Dallas). Still, it was the corps of players -- including André Goodman, Will Allen and Bell -- who gave Sparano and Co. a sense of greater optimism about the secondary's future.

'We were happy when we came here and we finally got a chance to see them work out on the field to think, `Hey, we have some pretty good answers back there,' '' Sparano said.

LEHAN COMING BACK

The rest of training camp still should be cause for some continued interest in the unit.

Cornerback Michael Lehan -- another player who started 14 games for Miami last season -- is expected to see his first action of the preseason Saturday after months on the sideline with a sprained ankle. Crocker also is expected to start at safety.

If each of those players can fluidly fit into the Dolphins' group, it should only add more optimism to the nickel and dime packages. Suddenly, a group that looked somewhat mediocre in the offseason might become a reliable unit.

''I like everyone who came in and everyone we already have, both the coaches and the players,'' said Allen, who probably is the most talented of the cornerbacks. ``I think we have a good mix, man. I expect good things from us.''

Still, even as the secondary starts to come together, Allen also said the unit has plenty to work on. Just because five of them played in Miami last season, a new system and a new group of coaches have required a new set of lessons.

By the team's regular-season opener against the Jets though, Allen said this unit expects to be fully prepared to get this season going from start to finish.

''We're not where we want to be,'' Allen said. ``We expect to be clicking on all cylinders by the Jets game.

``We still have a long way to go, but we've made a lot of improvement.''

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray