Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:42:48 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  With Ronnie Brown hurt, RB Williams may still be key to offense's success.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: With Ronnie Brown hurt, RB Williams may still be key to offense's success.  (Read 1055 times)
DolFan619
« on: August 23, 2008, 03:55:35 pm »

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins23sbaug23,0,731626.story

Dolphins: Refreshed Ricky Williams flashes old form

By Harvey Fialkov
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

August 23, 2008

DAVIE - The younger Ronnie Brown was supposed to get top billing over a rusty, yet fresh Ricky Williams in the upcoming Ronnie and Ricky Show.

But Brown's mounting injury concerns combined with Williams flashing the vintage form that earned him the NFL rushing title in 2002 have seemed to reverse their names on the marquee.

The yoga master has become chairman of this running backs-by-committee scenario for the Dolphins.

Suddenly, despite having just six NFL carries since 2005 when he gained 743 yards as a complementary back to Brown (907), it's the 31-year-old Williams looking down the depth chart at the 26-year-old.

While coach Tony Sparano believes it won't take long for Brown to get back to the form he displayed last year before tearing his ACL in Game 7, he is concerned that his latest injury — a sprained right thumb suffered against the Jaguars last week — could affect Brown's workload early in the season.

Brown won't play in tonight's next-to-last exhibition game against the Chiefs.

"I think the big part was getting him out there mentally and getting him going," Sparano said.

"If that means that during the season, one way or the other, we have to cross over those hurdles to get him to feel good, then so be it."

The ego-less Williams regularly professes his fondness for Brown and that he has no interest in competing against his younger "brother."

That said, Sparano said recently, that "they're competing and right now Ronnie isn't out there."

If that's the case, the competition hasn't been close.

Brown has appeared indecisive in gaining 6 yards on five carries, while Williams has glided to 74 yards on 15 carries, including a between-the-tackles 4-yard touchdown run last week.

As far as trust issues regarding his past drug suspensions, veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday believes in Williams and his ability.

"This year, he's shown me he's recommitted and focused on becoming one of the elite backs again," Holliday said. Although Williams wouldn't admit it, he has the added motivation of being in the final year of a minimum $730,000 contract, knowing that he probably has one last shot at a big NFL payday to help take care of his family.

"The most important thing is to quiet the doubts in my own mind," Williams said. "For the most part I'm not worried. ... I know I'm going to make it through the season. Then after the season I'll look at my career and see which way I'm going to go."

Two released

The Dolphins whittled their roster to 71 by releasing receiver David Kircus and cornerback Chris Roberson.

Kircus, 28, who has been out of football since 2006, was vying for one of the remaining receiver slots behind Ted Ginn Jr., Derek Hagan, Ernest Wilford, Greg Camarillo and surprising rookie Davone Bess. Kircus' departure was probably hastened by the emergence of former Arena Football receiver Anthony Armstrong.

Roberson, 25, was most likely deemed expendable because of the progress made by young corners Joey Thomas and rookie Will Billingsley.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray