Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:43:51 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Almost Everyone not living in Florida gets to watch the Dolphin's game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Almost Everyone not living in Florida gets to watch the Dolphin's game  (Read 15223 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 05:32:36 pm »

Tommy- you misunderstood STL. You can't buy NFL games on a PPV basis. She was talking about college games.

If you have DirecTV, you can. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 05:38:37 pm »

I have never heard of that either Tommy. I don't think DirecTV offers individual games.
bsfins
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008, 05:43:26 pm »

Actually I've heard of it,but it was only like the last 4 or 6 weeks of the season...I've never seen it offered like week one of the NFL season...

I never heard of someone actually doing it,I'venn it advertised real late in the season....Then they run the NFL sunday ticket half season special..
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 05:46:29 pm »

I have never heard of that either Tommy. I don't think DirecTV offers individual games.
Actually I've heard of it,but it was only like the last 4 or 6 weeks of the season...I've never seen it offered like week one of the NFL season...

I never heard of someone actually doing it,I'venn it advertised real late in the season....Then they run the NFL sunday ticket half season special..

I've actually seen friends do it on two different occasions... one in 2005 and one in 2006.  Although in both instances, the games were late in the season. 
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 05:47:43 pm »

If you have DirecTV, you can. 

I have Direct TV, and I've never seen that.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, 06:03:12 pm »

^ me neither

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, 06:09:33 pm »

I think Tommy may be thinking of what Lil B mentioned- the specials they offer towards the end of the season. They usually have some sort of special deal where you can get the last 5 weeks of the season. The catch is to get people so hooked they absolutely have to have Sunday ticket the following season. I've had Sunday Ticket for about 7 seasons now, and I can't imagine life without it.

FYI- I just checked all over Direct TV's website, and no where do they make any mention of being able to get individual NFL games.

I've often said that if they had an "NFL Team Ticket", I'd buy that. A little bit less money, but all you get are the games for one specific team. The only reason I could see them not doing this is because of games on local FOX and CBS and the Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night games. If your team happens to be a popular team, and has a lot of prime time games, or is shown on the local channels alot (We tend to get a lot of Steelers games, even though they are 6 hours away from here), I could see some people wanting a discounted rate, since they'd be able to see certain games regardless of having the "Team Ticket".

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 06:34:02 pm »

^^^ I am sure they have entertained that.  But it would have to be lower.  I have no idea what the real numbers are....

But lets say the full package is $100 right now.

And they offer a $40 one team package. 

Now you have two questions.. 1) how many new subscribers would you get at $40 and 2)  how many that currently pay $100 would switch from the $100 package to the $40 package. 

My guess is they would have considerably more downgrades than new customers. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 06:43:30 pm »

^^^ I am sure they have entertained that.  But it would have to be lower.  I have no idea what the real numbers are....

But lets say the full package is $100 right now.

And they offer a $40 one team package. 

Now you have two questions.. 1) how many new subscribers would you get at $40 and 2)  how many that currently pay $100 would switch from the $100 package to the $40 package. 

My guess is they would have considerably more downgrades than new customers. 

Yes, they'd have downgrades. But due to the popularity of fantasy football, they would have a lot of people staying on the package they currently have.

BTW- Sunday Ticket is much more than $100.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 06:55:02 pm »

Yes, they'd have downgrades. But due to the popularity of fantasy football, they would have a lot of people staying on the package they currently have.

BTW- Sunday Ticket is much more than $100.

No question lot of folks would stick with the full package.  But would enough new people buy the lower package to more than off set the downgrades, if it was just a wash why bother, it would have to be enough to make them more money than they make now.  And I doubt that would happen. 

Glad to hear it is more than $100, that justifies my not buying.  I figure I need to go to the bar to watch about 7-10 games a year.  My bar tab runs less than $15  each time and I would have about $5 worth of beer and junk food if I stayed home to watch the game.   So bar is still the economically most viable option. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 01:01:46 pm »

well, I'm not one of the lucky ones....I gotta watch the Shitzburg Stillers against the Houston Texas-Hold-Ems

Take the Stillers -6.5...easy money

I'd rather be lucky than good.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2008, 02:46:18 am »

Glad to hear it is more than $100, that justifies my not buying.  I figure I need to go to the bar to watch about 7-10 games a year.  My bar tab runs less than $15  each time and I would have about $5 worth of beer and junk food if I stayed home to watch the game.   So bar is still the economically most viable option. 
Agreed.  I figure I watch 13-15 games at around $10 each.

It's not the price of Sunday Ticket that keeps me away though.  It's having to switch over to Dish Network. 

I'm am paying $5 (?) a month extra for the NFL Channel though (bastards!).  Does that come free with Dish Network or Sunday Ticket?

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2008, 09:58:04 am »

Agreed.  I figure I watch 13-15 games at around $10 each.

It's not the price of Sunday Ticket that keeps me away though.  It's having to switch over to Dish Network. 

I'm am paying $5 (?) a month extra for the NFL Channel though (bastards!).  Does that come free with Dish Network or Sunday Ticket?

The Sunday Ticket is not on Dish Network, its on Direct TV. And I think the NFL Network is part of the standard programming package (I have an upgraded package).

Here's a question though- wouldn't you rather sit at home and watch the games in the comfort of your own home? People say "I only spend X Amount at a bar to watch the game so its cheaper for me than getting Sunday Ticket". I don't care if the bar lets me sit there all day for $1, I'd still rather sit in my own living room, or lay in my own bed and watch the games.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:00:18 am by Philly Fin Fan » Logged

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2008, 10:02:40 am »

Here's a question though- wouldn't you rather sit at home and watch the games in the comfort of your own home? People say "I only spend X Amount at a bar to watch the game so its cheaper for me than getting Sunday Ticket". I don't care if the bar lets me sit there all day for $1, I'd still rather sit in my own living room, or lay in my own bed and watch the games.

I'd rather go to a bar and scream and holler with other fans.  That's just me. 
simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2008, 10:09:53 am »

I'd rather go to a bar and scream and holler with other fans.  That's just me. 
Yes it is fun to watch the game with other fans, but I have two problems here.
1. I live in Maine and going to a bar and running into other dolfans would be rare.
2.I don't drink alcohol, and most likely feel out of place, even though I could do it.

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, and whom ever shall believe in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray