Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:37:10 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Fins: Last big game?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Fins: Last big game?  (Read 5258 times)
DolFan619
« on: September 03, 2008, 04:14:22 pm »

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2008/09/fins-last-big-g.html

Fins: Last big game?

This was a question that I was pondering today:

What was the last big NFL game at Dolphin Stadium, other than a Super Bowl?

By that, I mean a game that the rest of the country cared about.

I'm drawing a blank, it's been so long.

Has there been one since the last playoff game -- against the Ravens after the 2001 season?

> Posted by Ethan J. Skolnick at 11:17:04 AM
Ghost350z

mradt99 ghstp5
Email
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:38:39 pm »

It was the playoff game we played against the Colts when Lamar Thomas had like 240 yards rushing in the come from behind wildcard game.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 05:12:40 pm »

^^ Lamar Smith

I think that was BEFORE the Ravens game in 2001, maybe 2000.

I think the MNF game against the Patriots when Brady choked and threw like 5 picks was a pretty big game.  I was there.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:14:05 am »

PHI 34 (11-3) @ MIA 27 (8-6), Monday, 12/15/03
@ MIA 34 (1-0), DEN 10 (0-1), Sunday, 9/11/05 (Saban's first game)

and obviously...

NE 49 (7-0) @ MIA 28 (0-7), Sunday, 10/21/07

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:25:01 am »

Miami's last big game was last season, week 15.

If you don't think the country cared about us going winless last year, I beg to differ. Most of my non-TDMMC friends asked me about it constantly last season.

Miami's last big game at home was the one that kept us out of infamy...last year's home win over the Ravens.

You don't think it was big? Imagine how the last 7 months would have been like if Miami had slipped up there and gone 0-16. Go ahead, close your eyes and think about it. When you're done throwing up, we'll continue.

...there, get it out of your system? Sorry to have to do that to ya, but that one win last year was "that" big.

Without that win, 0-16 would have been our world. Not the rebuilding, not the new management...no talk of Dolphins would go without 0-16 being spat out like the prefix from hell.

That game was pretty damned big...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 02:33:03 am »

^^^

Truth has been spoken.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 02:39:05 am »

...and if you don't believe sunstroke after that compelling argument...play the new Madden video game...in the "Madden moments" section where you get to play the most compelling games situations from last years football season, the Dolphins OT drive against the Ravens is the first "madden moment" to choose from.  Hell I was dancing on my bar table at the sports bar when we won that game so I'll surely agree with you.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 06:02:43 pm »

If you don't think the country cared about us going winless last year, I beg to differ. Most of my non-TDMMC friends asked me about it constantly last season.

Miami's last big game at home was the one that kept us out of infamy...last year's home win over the Ravens.
The primary reason I disagree with your assessment is that that game wasn't a big deal until it was over and we had won.  0-13 was not significantly more important than 0-12, or 0-11, or 0-10.  In contrast, the NE game was important before kickoff.

Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:29:34 pm »

IMO every game was a big game after 0-9,10,11 etc. Miami's imperfection was on the minds and mouths of every GD person almost as much as NE's undefeated run, the pressure was huge. It only became bigger after they won.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:37:46 pm by Thundergod » Logged
Dphins4me
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 07:12:55 pm »

Last Big game in Miami?

I think it was the '92 Miami/Buffalo AFC Championship game.

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 12:34:51 am »

I think the MNF game against the Patriots when Brady choked and threw like 5 picks was a pretty big game.  I was there.
That game gets my vote. It was great going into my West. Civ. Final (Umass Boston)the next morning wearing Chris Chambers.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:53:09 am »

You don't think it was big? Imagine how the last 7 months would have been like if Miami had slipped up there and gone 0-16. Go ahead, close your eyes and think about it. When you're done throwing up, we'll continue.

...there, get it out of your system? Sorry to have to do that to ya, but that one win last year was "that" big.

Without that win, 0-16 would have been our world. Not the rebuilding, not the new management...no talk of Dolphins would go without 0-16 being spat out like the prefix from hell.

That game was pretty damned big...

QFT
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 09:03:40 am »

The primary reason I disagree with your assessment is that that game wasn't a big deal until it was over and we had won.  0-13 was not significantly more important than 0-12, or 0-11, or 0-10.  In contrast, the NE game was important before kickoff.

I agree.  You really can't call that game a big deal the way you can call this one a big game. 

I think Skolnick was referring the pregame hype and people wanting to watch it.  The win over the Ravens was seen by as many people as been attending the Marlins midweek day games. 

I would have to say the 2000 Wildcard win over the Colts.     

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 10:30:05 am »

The game in week 15 last year was huge. If we had lost that, but then won in week 16...then the week 16 game would have been the huge one. Did you miss the point of that post entirely, Spidey? Or are you just goosing the semantics so you have something to argue about today?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 10:42:30 am »

The game in week 15 last year was huge. If we had lost that, but then won in week 16...then the week 16 game would have been the huge one. Did you miss the point of that post entirely, Spidey? Or are you just goosing the semantics so you have something to argue about today?

Sunstroke I think you are missing the point.  The Jets-Dolphin game is a big deal before the game.  The Raven's game wasn't a big deal until after the game. 

Jet-Dolphins will have a capacity crowd (or darn close) and be on TV on half the stations in the country.  With the Ravens game the stands were empty and only TV stations that were forced to carry it carried the game. 

Or are you claiming that ESPN was hyping the Ravens game before that game as much as they are hyping this one? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray