Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:57:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Fins: Last big game?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Fins: Last big game?  (Read 5260 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 10:48:12 am »

Sorry, Stroke.  I have to agree with Hoodie on this one. 
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 11:15:53 am »

Here ya go stroke:

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 11:40:06 am »

Basically, when was the last time the Dolphins were the national broadcast game on CBS?

Definitely the Pats game last year, since the entire media had a huge hard-on for everything New England last season.  This Jets game this weekend, I think, far eclipses it because of the Farve/Pennington drama
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 11:46:34 am »

Sorry, Stroke.  I have to agree with Hoodie on this one. 

I feel far more righteous with you on the other side of the argument...so thanks. Wink

The only way that week 15 wasn't a huge game for Miami is if you don't think that going 0-16 would have been a problem. I think it would've been disastrous...so it was a huge game.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 12:02:52 pm »

I feel far more righteous with you on the other side of the argument...so thanks. Wink

The only way that week 15 wasn't a huge game for Miami is if you don't think that going 0-16 would have been a problem. I think it would've been disastrous...so it was a huge game.

You are right it was a huge game for Miami.  That wasn't the question.  Question is: when was the last time there was a game this big for the whole freaken country. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 01:23:21 pm »

If they lose to Baltimore, then the final game of the season against Cincy was a huge game.... but the Baltimore game in itself wasn't that big until the outcome was decided.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 02:18:27 pm »

The game in week 15 last year was huge. If we had lost that, but then won in week 16...then the week 16 game would have been the huge one. Did you miss the point of that post entirely, Spidey?
It's easy to say that the game was big after it was already over.  Right now, DET @ ATL is not a big game, but if Matt Ryan throws for 9 touchdowns, it would make it a big game, wouldn't it?

I think the spirit of the OP is to discuss games that had a lot of hype heading into them, not games that were highly celebrated after the fact.  Were that the criteria, I would have replaced all of the games on my list with the Feeley-led win over the Patriots in '04.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 02:22:16 pm »

It's easy to say that the game was big after it was already over.

It's hard to call any game other than a Super Bowl a big game before it's over...duh

(I just wanted to bold my text in the same way for emphasis...very cool)

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 02:28:37 pm »

Disagree, Stroke - wasn't Colts/Patriots last year a "big game"?  Cowboys/Packers?
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 02:41:38 pm »

Disagree, Stroke - wasn't Colts/Patriots last year a "big game"?  Cowboys/Packers?

Or Cowboys-Patriots for that matter. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 05:02:39 pm »

It's hard to call any game other than a Super Bowl a big game before it's over...duh
That comment would probably carry a bit more weight if it weren't in a thread about a big game (NYJ@MIA) that has yet to occur.

Unless you fundamentally disagree with the entire premise of the discussion, and you don't think Sunday is a big game?

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 05:11:49 pm »

Actually, the question was "What was the last big NFL game at Dolphin Stadium, other than a Super Bowl?"

And I made the simple point that week 15 last season was a big game. I didn't compare it to the Jets-Phins game...or any other game. It should be noted that the term "big game" belongs in the hierarchy of hyperbole, and comes, as always, without physical qualifiers... This makes it completely subjective to opinion.

So, in closing, my opinion is...fuck you very much, Miami's lone win last season was a big game to me.

~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 06:27:37 pm »

Actually, the question was "What was the last big NFL game at Dolphin Stadium, other than a Super Bowl?"
ACTUALLY, the question was (emphasis mine):

"What was the last big NFL game at Dolphin Stadium, other than a Super Bowl?

By that, I mean a game that the rest of the country cared about."

So I guess if you completely ignore his qualifier (a game that people with no vested interest cared about), then sure, every Dolphins game is a big game... to a Dolphins fan!

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 12:33:19 pm »

ACTUALLY, the question was (emphasis mine):

"What was the last big NFL game at Dolphin Stadium, other than a Super Bowl?

By that, I mean a game that the rest of the country cared about."

So I guess if you completely ignore his qualifier (a game that people with no vested interest cared about), then sure, every Dolphins game is a big game... to a Dolphins fan!

I'm trying to think of any way that you could possibly be more of a complete stonewalling asshat, but I think you've pretty much maxed out that category. Congratulations...

Every game isn't big to a Miami fan...but the one that kept us from going 0-16 sure as hell was.

~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 12:40:40 pm »

I'm trying to think of any way that you could possibly be more of a complete stonewalling asshat, but I think you've pretty much maxed out that category. Congratulations...

Every game isn't big to a Miami fan...but the one that kept us from going 0-16 sure as hell was.

You keep over looking: "By that, I mean a game that the rest of the country cared about.""

You are stonewalling.  That was the biggest game of the season for the dolphins...the rest of the country didn't give 2 shits about that game.  The possibility of  the dolphins going 0-16 was an insignificant side show, in a season where everyone was focusing on if the Pats could go 16-0.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray