Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:04:53 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Chris Crocker to start ahead of Jason Allen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Chris Crocker to start ahead of Jason Allen  (Read 6948 times)
DolFan619
« on: September 03, 2008, 04:34:33 pm »

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/09/chris-crocker-t.html

Chris Crocker to start ahead of Jason Allen

Giving up some notes as the Dolphins prepare for the New York Jets:

Chris Crocker has apparently completed his passing of Jason Allen for the team's starting free safety job, coach Tony Sparano confirmed today. The coach was quick to point out Allen will nonetheless get lots of playing time.

No lie. Allen is going to be playing a lot on special teams and is in Miami's dime (six defensive backs) package. But starting? No.

Meanwhile, receiver Greg "I saved the Dolphins from infamy last season" Camarillo got some first-team snaps during the portion of practice that is open to the media. At the very least Camarillo has won the No. 3 receiver spot. In the extreme, he might have beaten out Derek Hagan for the starting job, although that is not a certainty.

I believe the starting job could be more of a feel thing for the coaches, with the player that has the best week of practice getting the nod.

Hagan, who passed Ernest Wilford for the starting job early in camp, was brutally honest with reporters about his status. He said the coaches told him Camarillo had had a better preseason than him. Ouch.

So here are the questions:

Do you have, as Nick Saban might say, faith, trust and confidence in a receivers corps that is potentially making a lineup change after the preseason is complete? How uncomfortable are you knowing one of the starters got passed by a player who started training camp just fighting for a roster spot?

Are you more inclined to see this as a positive reflecting on Camarillo or a negative reflecting on Hagan?

And on the Allen front, after being handed the starting job because of injuries late last year and being handed the starting job early in camp because he was the incumbent, does it worry you that he couldn't hold the job?

This is now Allen's third season. By any account, it is supposed to be his breakout year. Are you disappointed he's breaking out as a special teams and situational player rather than a full-time starter after being picked No. 16 overall in 2006?

Discuss...
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:37:58 pm »

I don't know how to feel about stories like this.  It's a "glass half full" type situation.

Either you can see it as a negative story about Allen, or a positive one about Crocker.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 04:51:25 pm »

I don't know how to take it.  I liked what I saw out of Allen.  Does this mean Crocker is even better?  Or that Allen blew it?
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:30:16 pm »

LEAVE JASON ALLEN ALOOONNNNE!!!!

Grin

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 09:41:29 pm »

salguero mentioned the other day on 790 that basically allen was in the fight for his life for his job. for whatever reason, the evaluation of allen has not been favorable by the trifecta. going into your third year, first round pick, and the only way you crack the lineup is on special teams??? good grief, can you say bbbbbbust...
Dphins4me
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 11:18:48 pm »

salguero mentioned the other day on 790 that basically allen was in the fight for his life for his job. for whatever reason, the evaluation of allen has not been favorable by the trifecta. going into your third year, first round pick, and the only way you crack the lineup is on special teams??? good grief, can you say bbbbbbust...
This has nothing to do with Allen being a bust.    They simply wanted Crocker in there & that's fine.  Its their team.   Allen outplayed him, but they signed Crocker.

Allen needs to get himself out of Miami so he can have a career.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:22:08 pm by Dphins4me » Logged
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:41:25 am »

Like I said before  Huh Huh What the hell Saban saw in this Kid Allen  Huh Huh

Dphins4me
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 08:58:00 am »

Like I said before  Huh Huh What the hell Saban saw in this Kid Allen  Huh Huh
Speed, height, play maker in college, not afraid to tackle.  Probably what he saw.
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:04:29 am »

Speed, height, play maker in college, not afraid to tackle.  Probably what he saw.

college is the operative word in this statement. like many other nfl first round busts, this simply didn't translate to the pro game. at this point in his career his only value to a team completely rebuilding and aggressively looking to start young talent is limited to special teams.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 10:12:25 am »

college is the operative word in this statement. like many other nfl first round busts, this simply didn't translate to the pro game. at this point in his career his only value to a team completely rebuilding and aggressively looking to start young talent is limited to special teams.

Plus, Saban was so fixated on the SEC that he failed to see other talent like Antonio Cromartie out there.
Dphins4me
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 10:31:12 am »

Plus, Saban was so fixated on the SEC that he failed to see other talent like Antonio Cromartie out there.
  How can you take Cromartie coming out of college over Allen coming out of college?  Cromartie could not win a starting job on his college team to a 3 year starter in Allen.

Both had missed the previous year with injuries.

While all college draftees are risk, to me picking Cromartie coming out of college was a far larger risk. 

Dphins4me
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 10:36:03 am »

I think Allen will be starting in Miami after Crocker gets beat a few times on deep patterns as he did in the pre-season.

This is nothing but pure Parcells cronyism. 

Also, these guys running the show in Miami, appear to be head game players.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:46:40 am by Dphins4me » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:10:36 am »

This is nothing but pure Parcells cronyism. 

Agree here.  Its sad, and I'm tired of this big time.  Jason Allen played well last year and in preseason and deserves his shot.  I am annoyed to see him get screwed.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 11:17:22 am »

If Parcells-Ireland-Sparano don't think Allen should be starting, it's probably due to the talent they see, rather than any "croneyism" policy they are following.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 11:37:32 am »

If Parcells-Ireland-Sparano don't think Allen should be starting, it's probably due to the talent they see, rather than any "croneyism" policy they are following.

for real... wilford got a big payday, don't see him in the starting lineup. keith davis, their homeboy from dallas, cut his ass. i don't see this regime as having too big an ego to not play the right guy if the talent is there. conversely, they are pretty open with cutting ties fast where they were wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray