Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:21:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Fail forward fast
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fail forward fast  (Read 1728 times)
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:23:19 pm »

I've seen that comment, and it sounds stupid, but did Cameron ever explain exactly what he meant by it?

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:18:57 pm »

I don't know where it is, but there was a discussion about this in another thread. Since the search option is messed up, i can't find it.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:27:51 pm »

It's a John Maxwell principle I believe. 

To overcome the fear of failure so that you are willing to try harder. You put yourself into postions and situations to fail and then move ahead from there. The sooner you fail, the sooner you overcome that failure with a solution.

"Insert Tommy jokes here"

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 02:29:17 pm »

It is a catch phrase of one of these business management speakers. The meaning behind it is companies (in this case a football team) learns from its mistakes so if you want to learn at a faster pace you must make mistakes faster. Of course the key is you learn your lessons from your mistakes.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

It is a catch phrase of one of these business management speakers.

"I was in my car on the way over here, and I blew a speaker.
It was a motivational speaker...
He left a funny taste in my mouth, but I felt a lot better about myself afterwards..."

~ unknown comic

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 03:02:23 pm »

sounds to me like "if you're gonna fail, at least make some progress and learn something from it"  Failure is inevitable, this phrase seems to turn failure into a positive experience.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 03:14:38 pm »

Personally, I think it is spot on for what it is, a motivational technique. It simply shouldn't ever have been used in a sports arena, because you cannot use the word "fail" in sports without expecting it to be turned around on you if you DO fail.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 12:39:08 pm »

there's just nothing there that is applicable from this no substance statement in the context of an nfl football team. losses are sooooo magnified in a 16 game season. in this league of parity, a single mistake (lets call it a failure) here or there will cost you a game. one loss can basically determine the fate of your season. what if the team isn't collectively "failing forward fast" at the same rate???

it was just the most asinine, ridiculous way for a head coach to set the theme for the upcoming season. it was punctuated with an almost (forever thanks to you greg camarillo Smiley ) historic losing season ever. we were in quite a few close games games, and you could always feel the edge that someone was going to f it up no matter what was happening.

different players "failing forward fast" at different times was the backdrop for a 1-15 season.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:50:59 pm »

I think this adequently explains it.

Step Eight: Fail forward fast. Tom Peters, the management guru, says that in today’s business world, companies must fail forward fast. What he means is that the way we learn is by making mistakes. So if we want to learn at a faster pace, we must make mistakes at a faster pace. The key is that you must learn from the mistakes so you make so you don’t repeat them.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 01:20:37 pm »

love him or hate him, thats what differentiates coaches like belichick from crap like camoron. you don't just implement a superficial statement like this into your team process without any empirical evidence behind it.

example, belichick actually did a pretty in-depth study on the outcome of going for it on fourth and short. he learned from this study that the odds were significantly more in your favor by going for it on fourth down under certain parameters. the whole taping scandal is another story all together  Grin, but for what its worth, it was a detailed systematic process.

"fail forward fast" means nothing to no one. is it even valid? how do you track and measure it? how do you implement it? etc... if you can't formailize it into a real process, then it's just a bunch of hot air that certainly isn't going to help you win nfl games. coaches like belichick don't waste their time on marketing slogans based on nothing to help their team.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 09:14:44 am »

I think this adequently explains it.

Step Eight: Fail forward fast. Tom Peters, the management guru, says that in today’s business world, companies must fail forward fast. What he means is that the way we learn is by making mistakes. So if we want to learn at a faster pace, we must make mistakes at a faster pace. The key is that you must learn from the mistakes so you make so you don’t repeat them.

Unfortunately, Cam Cameron did not heed that advice.  Hence the Dolphins 1-15 season that was a horse's kick from 0-16.

It's a John Maxwell principle I believe. 

To overcome the fear of failure so that you are willing to try harder. You put yourself into postions and situations to fail and then move ahead from there. The sooner you fail, the sooner you overcome that failure with a solution.

"Insert Tommy's anti-Cam comments here"

I edited your post a little CF.  I hope you don't mind. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray