Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2026, 04:34:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  FYI for those here with Liquid assets..........
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: FYI for those here with Liquid assets..........  (Read 14378 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 17897


cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 10:29:10 am »

Good move by your buddy, Defense.   If you settle, it doesn't hurt your credit score.  A bankruptcy on the other hand would totally trash it. 

Better check again Tommy. It's settled but it still goes against you as a charge off.
Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Defense54
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4406



« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:55 am »

Better check again Tommy. It's settled but it still goes against you as a charge off.

Thats true. But whats the Big deal? I already own a home and a 30 year fixed Moorgage.  I have perfect credit for over 25 yrs but I see absolutely no big Loans on the near Horizon. I'm gonna get myself straight and just stay that way. Probably No season Tickets for a long while either. (Although I am paying off the Big Screen Wink)

Credit Card companies are so screwed up No one is gonna have good credit. I'm gonna clear my Tab fast before they start upping the interest............. Indifferent
Logged

YoFuggedaboutit
Guest
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:05 am »

Better check again Tommy. It's settled but it still goes against you as a charge off.
\

It would say "Account closed by credit grantor".  Not necessarily a charge off. 
Logged
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4930



« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 10:54:20 am »


Credit Card companies are so screwed up No one is gonna have good credit. I'm gonna clear my Tab fast before they start upping the interest............. Indifferent

How does this work? If one does not charge anything, or pay their balance off every month how does one get bad credit?
Logged

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
YoFuggedaboutit
Guest
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 10:55:12 am »

How does this work? If one does not charge anything, or pay their balance off every month how does one get bad credit?

You don't get bad credit that way, but you don't build it either.
Logged
Defense54
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4406



« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 11:01:47 am »

How does this work? If one does not charge anything, or pay their balance off every month how does one get bad credit?


Simply Put. These companies are backed by Banks. I don't think I need to remind you of how many banks have over extended themselves ? No banks = No credit no matter who you are. Those that do get it are going to be paying High Intrest rates. The Days of the intrest free card will be long gone for a while.
Logged

Defense54
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4406



« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 11:04:43 am »

You don't get bad credit that way, but you don't build it either.

Exactly...........but my point being there will be nothing to build credit for anyway for a while. Banks are going to be concentrating on getting the House market moving again. They could care less about your Home Depo or Jetsons appliance credit card in the near future.
Logged

SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 3174



« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 11:05:22 am »

You don't get bad credit that way, but you don't build it either.

Of course you build credit that way.... why wouldn't you. As long as you have accounts in good standing that are open, you are building credit
Logged

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4930



« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 11:08:20 am »

You don't get bad credit that way, but you don't build it either.

I built credit that way.
 


Simply Put. These companies are backed by Banks. I don't think I need to remind you of how many banks have over extended themselves ? No banks = No credit no matter who you are. Those that do get it are going to be paying High Intrest rates. The Days of the intrest free card will be long gone for a while.

I sitll don't see the issue here. Spend cash.

Logged

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
Defense54
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4406



« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 11:11:26 am »

I built credit that way.
 
I sitll don't see the issue here. Spend cash.



No doubt. But you will be spending your own........not theirs. Their deep pockets just hit bottom.
Logged

Lee
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1916



« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 01:27:58 pm »

Doing it that way will affect his credit for quite some time.

I actually do this type of work for a living.  I either go to court or get settlement around 15-30% and have a lesser impact on credit scores.

When I go to court, many times I get the entire case dismissed and the client owes $0! :-)
Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15955



« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 07:22:13 pm »

Of course you build credit that way.... why wouldn't you. As long as you have accounts in good standing that are open, you are building credit

My understanding is you have to owe money and be in good standing to build credit. Showing that you owe nothing usually hurts your credit scores. Minor debt is looked at better than no debt in that world.
Logged
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4111



WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 01:15:05 am »

I actually do this type of work for a living.  I either go to court or get settlement around 15-30% and have a lesser impact on credit scores.

When I go to court, many times I get the entire case dismissed and the client owes $0! :-)
So what's our incentive to spend wisely and pay our debts?

Nothing personal, but I think this is part of what's wrong with this country.  Good people, "shmucks", work full time or more to honor their obligations.  Others are allowed to walk away scott-free.
Logged

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 3174



« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 08:29:07 am »

My understanding is you have to owe money and be in good standing to build credit. Showing that you owe nothing usually hurts your credit scores. Minor debt is looked at better than no debt in that world.

Not true. My credit was in the garbage and I have a couple cards that I use every month and pay off every month and my score has improved quite a bit.
Logged

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Lee
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1916



« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 08:34:30 am »

So what's our incentive to spend wisely and pay our debts?

Nothing personal, but I think this is part of what's wrong with this country.  Good people, "shmucks", work full time or more to honor their obligations.  Others are allowed to walk away scott-free.

There are many incentives to spend wisely and pay our debts.  First of all, nothing in the law is gauranteed... you may wind up owing more than your original balance (ie: attorneys fees, court costs, interest, etc...).

Its also important to note that the credit card companies are not always innocent victims here.... as I am sure you all are aware.

I would add so many more, but right now my time is very limited... I will make another post as soon as I can.
Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines