Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:42:35 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 98830 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2008, 03:14:49 pm »

Gotta love being a fan nowadays. If the Yankees signed him for 10 years I would say "Shit, we're doomed". However, if the Red Sox signed him for 10 years I would say "Shit, we're doomed".

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2008, 03:41:52 pm »

LMAO.  It's so true.

I'm looking at his age (he's 28, I think).  If they actually gave him a ten year deal I don't see where he wouldn't be able to man a decent 1B for 6-7 of it, anyway.  Of all the positions to fan out a ten year deal for...1B is the one with the least risk.  After he starts going downhill a little defensively I would think there would be a place for him as a DH.

Tex is one guy that I think a ten year deal might work - no matter who signs him.  You know what you're getting.  He'll get you between .290 - .300 each year with about a .390 OBP and 30/110 with solid defense.  Not bad at all, as long as you have the guys around him to help.  He has the type of bat that makes other 30/110 guys like Lowell and Jason Bay even better.  But if you stick him in with a bunch of .260 / 15 / 70 guys you're in trouble.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2008, 03:57:31 pm »

This time they don't need to post a Brink's truck worth of money just to talk to the kid.  Looks like Boston is close to pulling the trigger on 22 year old Junichi Tazawa.  He's one of the better younger guns in the ranks in Japan, he'll need a good chunk of time in the minors before he sees the light of day at the MLB level.  I would think he might even start in Lowell with a fast track to Portland.

-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2008, 04:39:44 pm »

I'm reading the latest Cubs Tidbits,Thankfully the Cubs are not intrested in Fontenot,and marshall for Teahan rumor,But at the end of the tidbits it says they're waiting to find out if Kerry Wood is a Type A/or B

Could somebody explain what's the criteria for being a type A or B free agent?

I understand if you sign a Type A free agent you lose your first round draft pick....But What makes them a Type A.....
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

I get that question a lot, it's a good one.  The Elias Sports Bureau compiles stats for ESPN, SI, major sports companies, etc.

Elias compiles rankings for each player based upon their performance over the two most recent seasons. These rankings are used to place players into three tiers of value:
Type A - top 20%
Type B -20% - 40%
Type C - remaining 60%

The compensation is determined by that.

Take Matt Holliday, now in Oakland.  People think Oakland will trade him.  No way.  They'll keep him this year and let him walk - and earn themselves two first round picks.  It's brilliant.  He's the classic type A FA.

-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2008, 08:20:35 am »

Thank you Maine...

I have to admit, I'm waiting for that first domino to fall,to set off a bunch of signings/trades... Cheesy
bsfins
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2008, 02:11:01 pm »

I'm confused on why Kevin Towers the Gm from the Padres,is being so transparent about the Jake Peavy trade,but I like the info....

Jake Peavy could be a little closer to being traded and the Chicago Cubs could be a little closer to getting him.

San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers said Wednesday night he might have identified a third team that would facilitate sending the standout pitcher to the Cubs, who don’t possess the depth in prospects or big league-ready talent to meet the Padres’ asking price.

Towers, who last week hit an impasse in negotiations with the Atlanta Braves, declined to name the third team. He said he intended to speak again to Cubs GM Jim Hendry after the Thanksgiving holiday.

(That's the whole article,but Here's the link...)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-peavycubs112608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I also find it interseting that Pinella,basically thought we didn't need Peavy (or didn't think it was going to happen),and was looking for a middle of the order Bat  Huh

I admit, What little Payroll we have to work with, Adding a starting pitcher isn't where I want to spend the cash....I'd love to move Jason Marquis...P.O.S. ,and maybe even Koske....and spend the money elsewhere...Ie Middle relief,a better closer option,lead off man...Better bench
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2008, 01:26:07 pm »

Tentative deal in place: Javier Vazquez to Atlanta (along with RP Boone Logan). 

The four players going the other way are:
P Santos Rodriguez
3B Jon Gilmore
C Tyler Flowers
SS/2B Brent Lillibridge

Chicago has been hot for Lillibridge for a while, I guess.

-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »

Let the run on reliever Start...
The Giants Sign Bob Howery (Thankfully he wont be a Cubs again)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=22&entry_id=33208&tsp=1

The Cardinals Sign Trevor Miller....

http://www.stltoday.com/discussions/sports/joe-strauss-live/LD120108581

Edited for Legibility
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:12:38 pm by Lil B » Logged
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2008, 04:18:38 pm »

That's one need addressed.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
bsfins
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2008, 10:15:09 pm »

The New York post is talking that Khalil Greene will probably be moved before the winter meetings....A salary dump...
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2008/12/khalil_greene_o.html
bsfins
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2008, 09:45:45 am »

Updating the Above Trade K. Greene to the Cardinals!
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/592462BD94133328862575150029C606?OpenDocument

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/dec/03/padres-cardinals-agree-deal-will-send-greene-st-lo/?padres

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2008, 11:05:10 am »

See ya, Spicoli... I'll miss  your defense, but not your wild hacks at the plate.

I reeeeeally like the Braves' Yunel Escobar, and hope he's part of the Peavy deal if it goes down with Atlanta.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
bsfins
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2008, 12:40:40 pm »

The Tigers Aquired Pirates SS Jack Wilson
http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2008/12/detroit_tigers_acquire_ss_jack.html

Edgar Renteria reportly Signs With Giants
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8888962/Sources:-Giants-sign-Renteria-to-two-year-deal

Sorry Stroke,but I don't think Atlanta is going to pursue Jake
Peavy...They've made an offer to A.J. Burnett.....
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/12/04/braves_burnett.html

Well not so fast on the Wilson deal...
from the pittsburgh post gazzette...
A report in the Newark Star-Ledger says that the Pirates have traded shortstop Jack Wilson to the Detroit Tigers. That has not been independently confirmed, and no other details are mentioned.

UPDATE 12:36 p.m.: The Pirates have no response to the report.

12:46 p.m.: No one has informed Wilson or his agent, Page Odle, of any trade. This is significant because Wilson's limited no-trade clause includes Detroit, and he would have to give his approval. No such approval has happened yet.

12:52 p.m.: Frank Coonelly, the Pirates' president, denied that Wilson has been traded.

12:58 p.m.: This is what is known: The Pirates and Los Angeles Dodgers continued talks regarding Wilson throughout the week, but Detroit re-emerged last night with a fresh offer, one that was enough to cause some buzz within the Pirates' front office. That, apparently, has turned up the heat on both parties. One source a few minutes ago told me, "I know that the Dodgers are still players in this." There still are no names on the Tigers' side.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/default.aspx
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:00:35 pm by Lil B » Logged
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2008, 11:36:25 am »

I have a couple pals covering the Vegas meetings.  Here is what they tell me.

The Mets are close to signing K-Rod.  Looks like they will come to terms to something like 37 million over three years.

The Cubs and Padres are close on a deal to send Peavy to Chicago.  I don't want to comment on the package because I think what I am hearing for players is a load of crap, but I believe something is close.

Boston is very close on Burnett.  Don't buy the Atlanta hype.  If Atlanta ups the ante and offers AJ a six year deal, he'll take that.  I also think that Boston is close to signing Teixeira.

I said this a month ago, I'll say it now.  Sabathia doesn't want the Yankees money.  He just doesn't.  I think he's praying someone comes close to the Yankees offer so he doesn't have to bow to the PA's pressure to take the offer and set the bar.

The Cubs are looking at Milton Bradley and Adam Dunn.  I also think they are going to make a run at Abreu.

The Yankees will most likely hop in the Manny sweepstakes if nothing else than to drive up the price.  They are also shopping Damon and might have a dance partner in Oakland, of all places.  The Yankees are also talking to Derek Lowe and Huston Street.

Surprise, surprise...by the way, the Yankees will make an offer to Ben Sheets and Brad Penny soon.

The Braves and Cards are talking about Ankiel.  The Braves have some pieces in AAA that the Cards want.

The Dodgers are close to a three year deal with Casey Blake.

Two players were dangling as trade bait recently:  Seattle has made J.J. Putz available and Toronto said they will listen to offers for Halladay.

I think the Dye for Homer Bailey trade will still go through.  And it's really freaking stupid. 

...that is what I am hearing from Vegas.  Take it for what you will.

-Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray