Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:12:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 98823 times)
bsfins
« on: October 31, 2008, 04:55:33 pm »

I know the season has just ended...But I find it interesting to see what teams are starting to do...

I think the rumor,that made me laugh the most was Derrick Lee, for Adrian Gonzalez....I'd have a hard time seeing the Padres parting ways with Gonzalez.....

The Peavy Saga does intrigue me,I'm curious to see who trades for him....
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:42:28 pm »

Gonzalez can be had for the right price, but a more expensive and older player is not that price. Hell, Derek Jeter can be had for the right price, no one is untouchable.

I think Peavy lands with the Braves, but you can never rule out the Yankees or Red Sox. They have the money for an extension and Peavy would help his team more if he did NOT hit.  .186 lifetime AVG with a .468 OPS. Yeah, thanks for the "purity" Jake, but never touch a bat again.

I firmly believe Matt Cain is also on the move. His W-L is deplorable, but you can blame the Giants offense for that one. He can be had with the right offer from a smart GM, as I think Sabean undervalues Cain due to his poor record. The kid is young, has 3 seasons under his belt where he never missed a start  and averages just above 200 IP. He is not an ace, but he is young, cheap and really can be had for an aging bat and a decent prospect. He would be an awesome #3 starter.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 12:29:37 pm »

Gonzalez can be had for the right price, but a more expensive and older player is not that price.

Agree completely, though I believe that Towers wants to keep Adrian locked in SD for a while. I think if a "very" impressive package of young pitching was offered, he might be tempted. I really don't think it will be this year though, because the 1B that I believe Towers would want to replace Adrian with is currently in our own farm system...Kyle Blanks. Kyle is probably another season or two away from the big leagues, assuming he continues to impress like he has at A and AA the last two seasons.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pats2006
Uber Member

2009, 2014 Fantasy Football Champion

XxDevilDog
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 04:09:24 pm »

I have been hearing Manny to Yankee talks.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 01:26:35 am »

Hank Steinbrenner says he likes Manny. It doesn't make sense for the Yankees though. They need an outfielder, especially a young one. Hideki is basically a DH at this point, as his knees have deteriorated. So, they need a body in the outfield. Manny will be 37 next year and probably wants a 4-5 year deal. 1B/DH belongs to Hideki/Matsui/Jeter in the next few years.

I won't pretend that Manny isn't a great hitter, or that he won't hit .700 against Boston out of spite because he is an asshole, but it' just isn't worth it.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 02:59:32 am »

i hope abreu and pettite stay
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 07:38:47 am »

NYY would be nuts to let Abreu walk.  Great defensive glove, great speed on the basis and he's a doubles / RBI machine.  He is worthy of a 3 year contract.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 09:52:34 am »

1B/DH belongs to Hideki/Matsui/Jeter in the next few years.

You can include Posada in that list as well.  Meaning the Yankees will need catching help.  Now the question is, if Jeter is DH'ing, do you move A-Rod back to his natural position at SS or keep him at 3B?   

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 03:08:19 pm »

You can include Posada in that list as well.  Meaning the Yankees will need catching help.  Now the question is, if Jeter is DH'ing, do you move A-Rod back to his natural position at SS or keep him at 3B?   

I actually meant to include Posada, but instead I listed Hideki/Matsui/Jeter. Thank God I am not a GM, we would've been ruined!
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 03:18:28 pm »

Any guesses on how much money and stuff the Red Sox and Yankees will throw at Sabathia?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 03:26:39 pm »

Abreu was a very good player in the past and even solid this year, but his defense is now terrible. He used to have a good arm and range, but now he is a complete liability. If they went into 2009 with him, I wouldn't be sad, but he will get a multi-year deal and is a Type A free agent. So, that would net you the signing's team's first round pick PLUS a supplemental pick between the first and 2nd round. That's where Joba was selected.

I would do the same thing with Damaso Marte. When you have lots of money like the Yankees, signing draft picks is never a problem, unless they had no intention of signing anyway like Gerritt Cole this year.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 03:28:33 pm »

The Yankees want him badly, even though I am not sure how great of a bet he will be in 5-6 years. The Red Sox would love to add him, but they aren't really as desperate for pitching as the Yankees are. Lester/Beckett/Matsuzaka/Wakefield. They just need a 5th starter and could use Masterson or Buchholz for that.

I think CC can be had for 7 years/$140 Million. I think the Yankees will give him $184 Million because Hank Steinbrenner is an idiot who bets against himself. That's why A-Rod got 10 years/$300 Million when no one else would've came close.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 10:02:37 pm »

^Don't tell me that the Sox will plan on keeping Wake. It's time to say goodbye.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 10:29:36 pm »

Wake's option was already picked up.

181 IP
4.11 ERA
112 ERA+
$4 Million

That's probably the best bargain in all of baseball, not including younger players who didn't hit arbitration yet. Wake is supposed to be a 4th starter and he pitched just as well if not better than Josh Beckett.

As a Yankee fan, yes, it's time for Wakefield to go.
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 08:46:51 am »

And by taking this club option, they've triggered one for next year - every year they pick up the club option, they gain one for the following year

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray