Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:14:56 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 99511 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2008, 10:03:22 am »

Sabathia
Wang
Lowe
Joba
Pettitte/Sheets/AAA Guy

They still need offensive help, but that would be one of the top rotations in the majors.

I think you are fooling yourself a little if you think this is one of the top rotations in the majors.  I just don't agree.

CC is a legit ace and he'll get you 20 wins and keep you in another 5-8 games.  He'll only take 5ish losses.

Wang is coming off two injury plagued seasons.

Lowe is awesome and I want him, but he's grossly out of place at #3.  He is a .500ish pitcher with a consistent 4.50 ERA - but he eats innings.  He's more suited for #4.

Joba hasn't proved he can be in the rotation.

Hanging your hat at #5 on Sheets...yikes.  Healthy?  The steal of the century.

Better rotation than last year?  Sure.  I think the Yanks would be better off going like this -

1) CC
2) Andy (toss whatever you need at him to stay)
3) Wang
4) Hughes
5) Sheets / Penny / Kennedy?

Joba needs to be in the bullpen.  8th inning guy and then move him to a closer role.

You just signed CC to a SIX year deal...do you really want to break the bank for Derek Lowe?  Seriously?  The CC signing is awesome for this year and next...by the time you get around 3rd, 4th...FIFTH year...total liability.  Do you really want to tack on a 40 year old Derek Lowe into that mix?  The same reasons I think NYY should stay away from Lowe is the same reasons I think Boston should stay away from Burnett.  You don't give pitchers that many years.  You just don't.

Hughes is going to be healthy.  He has ace material.   I think you anchor the top with CC, Andy and Wang and fill out the rest as you can with waiver moves and call ups.  That gives you better flexibility for the future AND a pretty damn good rotation now.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2008, 01:31:22 pm »

I have to amdit, it makes me think Zambrano @ 91 million dollar deal was a steal....Even the P.O.S. Soriano @ 136 Million a good deal,atleast he plays err shows up every third day or so.... Cheesy
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2008, 01:52:33 pm »

^^It's amazing how new deals make old ones look good!  Manny at 20 million a year looked like a bargain compared to what he'll get on the open market.  And the fact that Boston will most like sign Tex to an 8 year / 160 million deal.  Holy crap. 

-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2008, 02:01:51 pm »

^^^ WORD!

Heyman is talking about A-Rod type money for Teixeira...
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/30941-teixeira-might-get-200-million

The Braves have made an offer for AJ Burnett,according to sources 5 year 80 millon
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8921818/Source:-Braves-make-$80M-offer-to-Burnett

The Rays turned down a Trade offer by the Marlins for Hermida...
Jeremy Hermida for two top pitching prospects, likely from a group including RHPs Jeff Niemann, Wade Davis, Jeremy Hellickson and Mitch Talbot.
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/2008/12/rays-reject-her.html
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2008, 02:21:42 pm »

1) Wang only missed 3 starts in 2007. Last year was a fluke injury running the bases, it wasn't arm troubles.

2) You have to remain a few different rotations that would be better than the one I proposed. I am sure you can make an argument for 1 or 2, but 5 or 6? I can't see that. I am fine with a 2 year gamble on Sheets with a bunch of vesting options. He is very talented, but injured. Funny, he has a better track record than AJ, yet is being overlooked. AJ has had TWO healthy seasons, both walk years. Not a coincidence.

3) Manny is the only massive contract I can remember that was worth it. A-Rod too from a statistical point of view.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2008, 03:04:32 pm »

I'll defend the A Rod contract.  I would defend the Santana signing from last year, so far, as well.  There are some large signings that have worked.  Some that "kind of" worked.  Giambi put up good numbers for the Yankees.  The Moose contract, at the time, was mind boggling and it turns out he earned every penny of it.  So sometimes they work.

I think Tex will be a good signing for who ever gets him.

You are right on the Wang thing, I think I over stated 2007 in my head and thought it was more than three starts.  CC and Wang make a hell of a 1, 2.  I still say Andy comes back.  If that happens and they get Lowe and put him at 4, then you're right.  That is a nightmare of a rotation.  Lefty, righty, lefty, righty.  Power, sinker, power, sinker.  Jesus.  I do hope Cano holds his ground better defensively.  On a good note, anything is better defense wise at 1B than Giambi...right?

The wild card for the Yankees here is Hughes.  I hope to God they get over confident and trade him.  Because Hughes, in my opinion, could be the next Doc Halladay.  He really could.  This guy has 20 win material running in his blood.  I love Hughes.  I LIKE Kennedy.  But I don't think he has the mental make up for New York.  I LOVE Hughes. 

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2008, 03:06:49 pm »

Hughes is an enigma, no one knows what is going on with him. If he can just stay healthy for a whole season he would be easier to gauge. Kennedy is impressing and I think is more MLB ready at this point, which is weird to say.

Burnett is about to sign with the Braves. Thank Christ.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2008, 03:15:20 pm »

Five years for that headcase is a headache that is best served in a market like Atlanta where no one cares.  That is a good spot for him.

You wait and see on Hughes versus Kennedy.  Remember this conversation in five years!  You'll think "man...that Maine guy was ahead of his time!"  Kennedy will be bagging groceries somewhere and Hughes will be a legit 1 or 2...

Just an inkling...

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2008, 03:31:35 pm »

I do like Hughes more than Kennedy, I am just saying that Hughes hasn't impressed since his near no-hitter in 2007. Ever since then, injuries and terrible starts.

Kennedy has also been tragic, but he has been healthier and did very well in winter ball. If I had to pick one of them right now to make an impact first, it would be Kennedy, though I know Hughes' upside is far greater.

That said, I would feel much better with Pettitte or Alfredo Aceves as a 5th starter this season than those 2. With the way the AL East is, I think you have to have Pettitte as your 4th or 5th guy. Too much offense in the division and the Yanks aren't going to upgrade offensively enough to match them, so they are going to upgrade the staff.
bsfins
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2008, 03:55:14 pm »

I'm happy to see that Someone is reporting Mark Derosa Wont be included in a Peavy Trade....It's not that I think he's such a great player,but I think his versatility will be need after we sell the franchise for Peavy..He can play 2nd base,3rd base,and the outfield....http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/12/cubs_derosa_is_staying_put.html

ok I have a hard time Believing that Baltimore is offering 20 mil for 9 years,and the Nats are offering 10 years at 20 mil for Mark Teixeira  Huh
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/12/teixeira-negoti.html

A Cardinal Rumor..
The Tigers are interested in Putz and the Cardinals have offered center fielder Rick Ankiel and a prospect, according to a rival general manager.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8922020/Wednesday-MLB-winter-meetings-blog (About halfway down the page....)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:14:29 pm by Lil B » Logged
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2008, 04:18:59 pm »

I just read earlier today that the Rays were interested in Ankiel.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
NADS
Uber Member

27 years of heartache.

Email
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2008, 04:21:55 pm »

Heard on the radio that CC got picked up by the Yanks at $160M for 7 years.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2008, 10:57:47 am »

They've offered AJ Burnett a five year / 91 million dollar contract. 

Did they not learn ANYTHING from Carl Pavano?

They are also rumored to have offered Big Tex a ten year / 190 million dollar deal.

I would LOVE to see the Yankees get 'em both.  I really would at this point.  I've always wanted to see a 300 million dollar payroll!   Grin

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2008, 11:04:55 am »

Like Father, Like Son

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
bsfins
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2008, 01:19:23 pm »

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/12/still_no_news_on_peavy.html
According To San Diego Padres GM Kevin Towers the Peavy to the Cubs deal is Dead....He proposed a Deadline last night,that Something had to be get done today...(He also said that Peavy would be traded before free agency too...) TO ME, It Seemed like Towers was trying to put together a deal,through the Media,without really talking to all the parties involved....Jim Hendry Didn't want to Trade Mark Derosa,and as soon as the rumor that He could be offered in the deal,Hendry got flooded with Offers for Derosa,supposedly better than the ones in the Peavy deal....

I have to admit,I like Peavy,but I don't think that was our biggest problem,and it seemed like we were going to trade half our team to get him..... Huh We did win 97 games without Peavy....

I'd rather trade for a Brian Roberts,lead off guy,get some Bull pen help (Other than Gregg,I'm hating that trade) Some outfield Help...Then see where we are.....
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray