Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:24:11 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 99725 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2008, 03:21:51 am »

Tex is a great hitter and a legitimate Gold Glove 1B. That is a SHITLOAD of cash and there is always risk on an 8 year deal, but there is more risk for pitching. So, if you can afford it, why not?

Boston got lucky in that the Manny deal pretty much worked out for them exactly as planned in terms of production. I hope this one doesn't, but it's a much safer bet than CC. Burnett too, but that's a given.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:53 am »

There are a couple things here that are saving graces on an eight year deal:

1 - His age.  He'll only be 36 when the deal is complete.
2 - His position.  1B isn't exactly a wear and tear position.  It's where some good players go to die, actually, when they can't play their "normal" position.
3 - When positional players can't field effectively anymore they usually can still swing a stick.  If he can't field at 36 (and that would have to be because the guy got hurt, which could happen) they can slot him at DH.  Now for that type of money he better still be mashing at a 35 / 120 rate...

It's high risk, of course. 

The thing is this - I don't know if Boston NEEDS him.  After the Manny trade and without Ortiz for a huge chunk of the season, Boston was still the 3rd best overall offense in the league.  Ellsbury hit .280 and swiped a billion bases.  There are no indications that Dusty's two years were a fluke.  Youkilis is, in the least, good for 20/90.  Drew, when healthy, is also good for 20/90.  Mike Lowell should be effective.  Jed Lowrie will hover around .300 and provide a little pop at the bottom of the order.

And the largest thing people around Boston seem to forget?  We have this little guy named JASON BAY.  Personally, if I were Theo, I would make sure you take care of Bay before you do anything else.  You do not let this guy hit the open market next year under ANY condition.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2008, 05:54:35 pm »

Can never have too much offense, as long as it's not at the expense of pitching. The Yankees didn't make the playoffs last year mainly because their offense was so mediocre. Their pitching wasn't amazing, but not the reason they stayed home in October.

You just don't know with Ortiz anymore, nor with Mike Lowell. Lowrie was pretty damn crappy and Ellsbury doesn't hit for any power, not even doubles. It'd be moronic to just write them off because they are amazingly talented, but it'd be unwise to assume they will have years like Pedroia had, so if you can get Tex, you have to do it. With the staffs of the Yankees and Rays, not to mention the Blue Jays once their 5 starters recover from Tommy John, you need all the offense you can get.
bsfins
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2008, 02:09:47 am »

I guess the Red sox are out of the Tex race....
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/12/henry_we_are_no.html
Red Sox owner John Henry e-mailed several media members late tonight with a stunning twist in the team's pursuit of free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira.

Henry's words: "We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him. After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor."

Rumors were the Red sox were the leading canidate to sign him,to pulling out ...(no sexual pun intended) Cheesy
So does that Leave the Angels to really sign him for the money he wants,and a chance to win? I don't take the Nationals,and Orioles as places to win....
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2008, 03:52:52 am »

I think this is just a "Your move asshole" statement to Scott Boras. It's just stating that if Tex indeed has superior offers on the table, then good luck to you but we won't be used to jack up his price.

In reality, I think Boston has the best offer. The last one I heard was something like 8 years/$180 Million. I can MAYBE see the Angels coming close to that, but not putting in a $200 Million offer. That would be insane.

I hope it's true that they are out of it, but odds are he will sign with the Red Sox when the dust settles.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2008, 09:16:24 am »

I've heard the Nationals have ten years on the table but the overall value doesn't exceed Boston's.  I also don't have the same level of contacts this time of year that I normally once did as I have stepped away from all media duties and well as duties within the AA level...so I don't know how reliable that source is.

I am sort of happy Boston did this.  I have a strange feeling Mikey Lowell comes back as good as always.  All we need is two more years out of Lowell and then the world will be introduced to Mister Lars Anderson.  You don't know him now.  You will, however, very soon.

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2008, 03:05:21 pm »

His name makes me giggle - Lars

but I agree with you. I'm cool with this

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2008, 04:21:53 am »

God, I am so sick of Boston consistently bringing up young talent and having them perform well. Assholes and their excellent scouting and development.

Even the ones who had crappy seasons like Ellsbury and Lowrie didn't have too bad of a year and will most likely improve. Ass!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2008, 10:33:12 am »

If this is true it'll be huge - rumor of the day:

Arizona gets:  Justin Masterson, Lars Anderson, Manny Delcarmen

Boston gets:  Brandon Webb and a player to be named later.

I don't want to lose Masterson and Anderson.  But holy shit...Webb?  In a BoSox uni???  Sign me up!!!

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2008, 02:27:30 pm »

boo

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
bsfins
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2008, 05:08:48 pm »

I read somewhere that the D'Backs Red Sox were possibly talking about an Byrnes trade again...I'd really hate to see the Red sox get Brandon Webb.....

According to WGN radio over the weekend,Adam Dunn,mentuioned his first choice would be the Cubs.He just wants a Fair contract....Ummm Don't we already have a lousy fielding corner outfielder?  Huh

In other News, TDMMC Saturday night,have taken our offer off the Table To Mark Teixeira....We feel the money would be better spent,by Buying some warm third world country,and a Few Beautiful Models to give us Sexual pleasure....

Sorry I'm a little tired of reading nothing but Mark Teixeira rumors,like the way I got tired of Brian Roberts rumors last year,and Jake Peavy Rumors this year....
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2008, 06:29:38 pm »

In other News, TDMMC Saturday night,have taken our offer off the Table To Mark Teixeira....We feel the money would be better spent,by Buying some warm third world country, and a Few Beautiful Models to give us Sexual pleasure....

As long as the host gets some prime beach real estate and a couple of hot midgets to serve me umbrella drinks and keep my toes pedicured out of the deal, I approve any and all appropriation of funds from the show account.

On a side thought...and you know I'm just fukking with you a little because I love ya like a brother... but when I read that post of yours, I have to wonder if you have a keyboard that randomly capitalizes words in the middle of sentences, or if you just have the damned twitchiest left pinky finger on the planet.

Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
bsfins
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2008, 11:13:01 am »

Umm I figure if we own a small third world country they'll give us plenty of beach front property.....

A little of Both, My left hand always tend to drag the left shift key,I try to go back and fix it if I'm not in a hurry Embarrassed

I thought the Cubs weren't trying to trade Mark Derosa,but I read a rumor that the talks with the Twins are going no where because they wont throw in Jason Kubel.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2008, 01:58:37 pm »

Just got a call from a friend working the beat in D.C.  Appears that Teixeira and Boston are going to announce this hour that they have reached an agreement.  Terms seem to be 8 years and $184 million.  The monkey wrench is that the Nationals are trying to scramble to put something together last second to trump this.

Boston is also close to signing Derek Lowe, 'Tek and a trade is in the works with Texas for Salty. 

Personally I'll believe all of this when Santa lands on my roof.  But I'm jaded by nature.

-Voltaire
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2008, 03:31:58 pm »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3790141

Apparently, they "swooped in" when it seemed likely that Teshy would be going to the Red Sox. I personally don't like it. I would rather we had Saltalamacchia!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray