Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:30:42 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 98845 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2008, 09:02:22 am »

I heard this last week, now it's being picked up by the wire.  Not sure how much I believe this one, but it's fun to talk about.

Appears Boston contacted Florida about Hanley Ramirez.  They weren't wild about trading Ramirez but also know they can't afford him.  They really love two of Boston's players: Clay Buchholz and Jacoby Ellsbury.  Boston was willing to trade both.  Then the asking price went up to those two plus Lars Anderson and Boston said "no way, Jose" and talks stalled.

However Boston has now agreed to chip in either Daniel Bard or Bowden, both high velocity pitchers (Bard hits 103 on a regular basis) and the talks may be back on. 

Ramirez would play the outfield, possibly center - a position he played in Boston's system and in high school.

Hmmmm.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2008, 09:08:22 am »

So you get back the guy you gave up to get Mike Lowell.  This would bolster the Marlins pitching staff big time. 
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2008, 09:25:20 am »

The trade makes sense on both sides.  Boston has pitching after pitching to give up, the Marlins need pitching.  Boston could use another impact offensive player but would be giving up a ton on defense, just not up the middle.

I don't know how wild I am about giving up Bowden, this kid is going to be really good.  As is Bard.

-Voltaire
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2008, 09:27:08 am »

going to be good isn't the same as "is good"

"is good" is worth much more
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2008, 09:32:08 am »

Okay - two of the pieces are MLB ready and VERY good right now: Buchholz has a no hitter under his belt and Ellsbury hit .280 last season, stole 50+ bags and played a gold glove caliber defense.  Combine those two players with Bowden, a guy that made a last second start for Boston on three days rest and went five innings, k'd 3, and gave up two earned runs to a very good White Sox team...

Me thinks that is a steal for the Marlins.  Especially if you are also talking about adding in a pitcher that throws 100 mph on a regular basis and has a change up that dips to 86 in Bard.

Keep in mind when it comes to Boston's pitchers that the only reason they aren't in the bigs NOW is because of the log jam.  Bowden and Bard are both MLB ready.  Bowden showed that last season.

-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2008, 10:14:14 am »

I heard a rumor that San Diego was talking to the Yankees about giving us A-Rod, but continuing to pay his salary the next three years.

Ok, not really...but it's in the same realm of possibility as Hanley going back to Boston this offseason.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2008, 10:22:16 am »

Hey, the Marlins are going to move him - one way or the other - prior to 2011 when they'll need to start paying him big bucks.  Everyone knows it! 

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2008, 11:42:38 am »

Not a fan of moving Ellsbury

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2008, 11:43:39 am »

Hey, the Marlins are going to move him - one way or the other - prior to 2011 when they'll need to start paying him big bucks.  Everyone knows it! 

Then is it too much to ask for the rest of baseball to quit groping at him until 2011??

Personally, I think by 2011, the Marlins are going to pay him what he needs to stay. I could be wrong, and history isn't kind to predictions of Marlins' spending...but I think Hanley will be such a S FL sports icon by that point that the team will give him what he wants on the paycheck.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2008, 12:09:24 pm »

Would you agree that teams really pay for the bat and not the defense?  If yes, you would have to agree that Ramirez is on par an offensive player with Teixeira, right?  Teixeria gets more RBI but also hits lower in the order, they both hit in the mid 30's for home runs and Ramirez steals 30+ bags a year.  So it all kind of washes. 

Do you really think that Florida will be able to come up with the money that Ramirez is going to command in 2011?  It's going to make Teixeira's deal look like a steal by then. 

I'll grope all I want!  Smiley

I will say this, however - if Boston is going to give up prospects I want them to go to Kansas City in return for John Buck.

-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2008, 01:25:18 pm »

I think Hanley's defense will improve... The only area he really seems to have a problem is in pulling the damned ball out of his glove. It's a small thing, sure<g>...but it can be coached out of him (I hope).

I want to see Hanley leave S FL about as much as I wanted to see Tony Gwynn leave San Diego...it's just unthinkable!

~ Micah Leggat
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2008, 02:31:36 pm »

I agree.  One of the reasons I don't want to trade Lars Anderson.  Defense can be taught, power and skill at hitting can not.  Anderson, like Ramirez, can hit the leather off the ball, both need defensive upgrades...which can be coached.

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2008, 02:52:17 pm »

Is Hanley not signed through 2014?

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2008, 03:09:56 pm »

Is Hanley not signed through 2014?

Good point...he signed a 6 year deal in April that locks him through 2014 at a very team-friendly rate, not 2011.

AL East gropers...begone!!

~ Micah Leggat
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

He hits $11 Million in 2011 and it goes up from there

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray