Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:55:05 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 99512 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2008, 03:19:30 pm »

He hits $11 Million in 2011 and it goes up from there

Considering he's already one of the 3 best offensive players in the game...and that the contract market is only going up, I'm betting we'll look at $11 million in 2011 for Hanley as being a screaming deal.  Just my opinion though...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2008, 03:35:10 pm »

Good point...he signed a 6 year deal in April that locks him through 2014 at a very team-friendly rate, not 2011.

AL East gropers...begone!!

We'll grope, and you'll like it.

You can't tell me you wouldn't like to see Clay Buchholz in the #3 slot on that team?  Ellsbury leading off for the next six years?  Bard slamming the door shut with this 103mph heat? 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2008, 03:41:43 pm »

the marlins already have a lead-off hitter .. unless jacoby would do well at the #2 slot

Maybin ! .. who btw .. had a 1.106 OPS during his september call-up in the middle of a wild-card run.

between him and cody ross we have no shortage of fast CF types

i still don't think the marlins really need this deal with boston unless we can totally rape their farm system .. which is possible now that they're desperate to keep up with the Jones-es (steinbrenners-s)

and our projected closer can already hit 103 .. *yawn*
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:49:48 pm by Fau Teixeira » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2008, 03:44:55 pm »

You can't tell me you wouldn't like to see Clay Buchholz in the #3 slot on that team?  Ellsbury leading off for the next six years?  Bard slamming the door shut with this 103mph heat? 

Not at the cost of a singular type offensive talent like Hanley...no sir, I don't. Buchholz could end up being a very good pitcher. Ellsbury could get his OBP up and turn into a top shelf leadoff guy. Those are some good "coulds" there...but Hanley already "is."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2008, 10:28:54 pm »

and our projected closer can already hit 103 .. *yawn*

102, actually, and he's done that once.  He's hit 100 a couple other times.  Bard hits 103, 102 every outing...and has since high school.

Unless we're talking about a different guy that was drafted seven years ago and just broke the majors in '07 at the young age of 27?  A guy that has a difficult time getting his fastball over the plate for strikes when they are over 95mph...in other words a guy that hasn't been able to find control in six years while bouncing around the minors?

Have you seen this guy's walk rate in the minors? 

Or are we talking about different a Matt Lindstrom?  You know - the same guy that issued 47 walks to 105 k's in 124 innings of pro ball in Florida?  Nothing screams "closer" like that bb/k ratio!  Holy shit.  I generally don't like my closers with WHIPS rapidly approaching 1.50, personally.

Take a look at the good closers in the league and you'll generally see about 10 walks on the season and WHIPS under 1.00.

Yeah, have fun with that one.

-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2008, 11:43:26 pm »

Errr another stupid Cubs trade? We seem to do about 3-5 moves ayear that make me go WTF?
Rockies Luis Vizcaino,for Jason Marquis,and the Cubs pay 1 million of Marquis salary....We net 5 million,to help us sign Milton Bradley...I thought we gave a shit about team chemistry.... Huh
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9007452/Source:-Cubs-near-deal-to-send-Marquis-to-Rockies

I saw this earlier today,and have actually calmed down abit....I mena Atleast Marquis is ok,till the all star break,for a guy that sucks and was injured most of last year....
bsfins
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2008, 02:03:20 pm »

Boy I just keep shaking my head in amazement and wonder.... Huh

The Cubs sign former Cardinals Inf Arron Miles to a 2 year deal 4.9 mil deal,then trade Mark Derosa to the Indians for three young pitchers...Sunstroke is now a Cub! The Cubs got J. Stevens RHP,LHP John Gaub,and RHP Chris archer....

They are also talking that the Signing of Milton Bradley is close,and we supposedly have some pieces for a Jake Peavy trade Huh
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1356723,cst-spt-cubs-miles31.article
(edited to fix errors and typos)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:12:51 pm by Lil B » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #187 on: December 31, 2008, 02:08:44 pm »

Sunstroke is now a Cub! The Cubs got J. Stevens RHP

I originally had the Cubbies listed in my no-trade clause, but when my agent negotiated a lifetime supply of Chicago deep dish pizza to my contract, I signed off on it. My mission is to become the first 300 pounder to win 20 games in the majors...

~ Micah Leggat
bsfins
« Reply #188 on: December 31, 2008, 02:15:44 pm »

You're gonna do a Fernando Valenzuela Impression? I'm not sure if he ever made it to 3 bills....
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #189 on: December 31, 2008, 04:16:30 pm »

You can have Miles. Good guy.  Mediocre player.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #190 on: December 31, 2008, 04:27:17 pm »

Maine, any news on the jays front.
bsfins
« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2008, 05:00:06 pm »

Hey Raptor,Yester day the Jays signed Mike Maroth,and Micheal Barrett...Hey it's something... Cheesy
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2009, 10:20:13 am »

Boston might be close to signing Takashi Saito to a 3 year deal.  This would be a pretty decent move, Saito had a solid year for the Dodgers in '08, tired down the stretch.  I don't think Torre used him correctly.  Even still he was 4-4, 18 saves, 60 k's in 47 innings and a 2.49 ERA.  Not bad at all.

If they sign Saito one would have to wonder what that means for Delcarmen?  With the Ramirez / Crisp trade that bullpen is already starting to get crowded.

-Voltaire
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2009, 10:26:45 am »

you can't have enough good relievers
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2009, 07:14:42 pm »

espn is reporting that the rays signed pat burrell