Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:26:21 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 99724 times)
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #210 on: January 08, 2009, 10:40:46 am »

My bio-dad hear rumors floating up north that Wake is thinking of retiring... have you head anything along those lines Maine?

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #211 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:45 am »

I'm not sure why he would agree to Boston's annual one year deal only to step away after agreeing to it.  I haven't heard anything, but I'll dig around.  I could see him shutting it down after the WS in '07 and coming off that injury filled season, but he pretty much stayed on his feet in '08.

Then again I also don't think anyone thought Boston's catching situation would be as messed up as it is right now.  He could have signed the deal, saw Cash go to the Yankees, saw no light at the end of the tunnel with Varitek and then see Boston bring in the amazing passed ball machine Bard and thought "yeah.  I'm out."

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #212 on: January 08, 2009, 01:15:51 pm »

yeah, apparently the catching situation has something to do with it.

As for the deal, isn't it a club option? I know they exercised the option, but did he sign it?

bsfins
« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2009, 01:31:05 pm »

Boston signed John Smotlz and Rocco Baldelli...
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/01/sox_sign_baldel.html

I kind of thought Smoltz would be a Brave for life...

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #214 on: January 08, 2009, 02:15:28 pm »

Smoltz is a little long in the tooth.  That's probably why Atlanta didn't want him around.  They were looking to get younger.

Atlanta offered him over 2 mil a year guaranteed and up to 7 mil in pitching incentives. Boston offered him more.  Bobby Cox has been mentioned as "distraught" by the decision. 

Braves fans are very bummed about this for a few reasons. It would be kind of like Dan Marino deciding to play for the Eagles instead of signing his last contract with Miami.  This offseason has not gone well for Atlanta.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #215 on: January 08, 2009, 03:28:27 pm »

I understand the reason for making this a stand alone thread but if we start doing that for every signing it'll make this entire section of TDMMC look like "Hot Stove only" talk.  So I hope y'all understand why I merged it.  Plus I already mentioned this signing earlier this morning.

Smoltz didn't feel wanted, plain and simple.  The Yankees were in play for Smoltz as well and felt Boston was a better fit.

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #216 on: January 08, 2009, 03:51:11 pm »

Smoltz would've been nice in pinstripes. Can't ask for a better 5th starter.

Speaking of feeling unwanted, Pettitte should be going to the Astros very soon after declining the Yankees $10 Million offer.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:18 pm »

Braves fans are very bummed about this for a few reasons. It would be kind of like Dan Marino deciding to play for the Eagles instead of signing his last contract with Miami. 

It'd be kind of like Trevor Hoffman deciding to play the last year of his career for the Brewers instead of the Padres.

oh, wait...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #218 on: January 09, 2009, 01:47:39 am »

Hey, the Padres really insulted him with their cost cutting ways. I mean, he definitely is on the downside of his career and what does a shitty team need a closer for anyway? But they still handled it very poorly.

Hoffman may breathe new life into his career with a change of scenery. At the very least, can he be any worse than Gagne and co. last year for Milwaukee?
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2009, 09:52:57 am »

Boston bolstered it's bench by signing Mark Kotsay yesterday.  Decent move.  He can play 1st and OF.

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2009, 10:25:42 am »

Baldelli is wearing No. 5. Gotta say I did a double take at the photo

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2009, 10:47:28 am »

Oft-injured people in a Boston uniform wearing #5...

I wonder if they could run Nomar AND Baldelli out there at the same time, both wearing #5?  It's not like there is ANY shot of them both being on the field at the same time...

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2009, 10:55:01 am »

LOL... thanks, now I have to clean Diet Coke off my monitor

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #223 on: January 10, 2009, 12:03:35 am »

Kotsay
Penny
Smoltz
Baldelli

I am all for finding deals in the bargain in, but not fill 4 of your 25 roster spots with them. If these guys keep up their usual injured play, Boston will be shorthanded very soon.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #224 on: January 10, 2009, 11:45:53 am »

^^I think you're forgetting that Boston is returning every starter except catcher.  That's the same starting 8 that was in the top 3 in offense in the league.

The pitching moves didn't even need to be made because they had five starters, maybe six.  Now they have eight.  Signing Penny and Smoltz to a rotation that already featured Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Wakefield, Buchholz and Masterson.  There is a good chance that Smoltz will be a spot starter / rotation guy.

The only position Boston needed to sign was a 4th outfielder and they signed two in Baldelli and Kotsay.  Plus Kotsay can play 1st.  They have two SS in camp, one of which can play 3rd.

I love these moves.  If none of them work out?  So what?  Seriously.  If all four of those guys aren't on the team come June 1st, does it matter?  Nope.  But if they contribute to an already very good team it'll be gravy.  What if they get 10 wins out of Penny?  Or 50 innings in the bullpen out of Smoltz?  What if Baldelli gives them 15/60?  High reward / almost zero risk.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:47:48 am by MaineDolFan » Logged

-Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray