Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:15:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 99538 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2009, 09:15:29 pm »

The whole Andruw Jones thing is shocking. Sure, he has always been overrated, but he was still putting up some HoF numbers at the CF position. He just ate himself out of a career.
bsfins
« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2009, 01:25:48 pm »

The Cubs traded Felix Pie for Scott Olsen,and a A ball pitcher the other day (some think possibily for a Peavey trade  Roll Eyes) anyaways they mentioned that Pie ,Rich Hill,and I think it was Cedano are out of options....So they would probably be moved...In one of the commentc under the article I saw the question was posed...So when they're traded are they still out of options?So Baltimore has to keep Pie in the majors all year?

It's been rumored that the Cubs would like to trade Cedano for Arron Heilman..

I'm curious to see who is going to sign Manny,Abreu,and Adam Dunn..It seems like they've all over valued themselves....
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2009, 03:16:52 pm »

^I think someone will sign Manny to a one year / 20 million ish type deal.  Most likely the Dodgers or Giants.  Manny, unlike Dunn or Abreu, can risk a one year deal and hope the market for corner infielders improves over the offseason.  And trust me when I say teams want him badly, they just don't want his act long term.  Manny is a division changing bat, period.  Whoever he signs with, be it Colorado, Florida or San Fran automatically becomes a threat to win their division. 

His bat is THAT valuable.

Dunn wants something like 4 years at a rate of 15 million a pop.  Won't get it.  Abreu wants something close to the same.  Also won't get it.  There are far better corner outfielders out there that should be signing extensions soon (Bay with Boston, Nady once NYY trades him) and those signings should set the market.  Dunn and Abreu could very well be on the sidelines well into spring training.  It'll take an injury to a starter for someone to pony up their asking price.

Washington is willing to pay Dunn about 11 million a year for three years.  He should take that money and run.  There is no real market for Abreu right now.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2009, 04:04:29 pm »

Paps signed a one year deal according to ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3846966

The Boston Red Sox have signed closer Jonathan Papelbon to a one-year contract worth $6.25 million Tuesday, the largest deal in history for a closer who was eligible for arbitration for the first time.

The two sides also discussed multiple-year deals but were unable to strike an agreement. Papelbon will not be eligible for free agency until after the 2011 season.

Papelbon's contract surpasses the $5.65 million deal signed by White Sox closer Bobby Jenks the day before as the largest ever for a closer who entered arbitration for the first time. The previous record was $5 million, by Eric Gagne, in 2004.

Papelbon's contract is also the third-highest in history by any arbitration-eligible player. The only ones higher were Ryan Howard's $10 million arbitration award last year and the $7.4 million that was awarded to Miguel Cabrera after he won his case in 2007. So Papelbon's deal becomes the biggest ever by any first-time eligible pitcher -- starter or reliever.

The Red Sox and Papelbon haven't ruled out exploring a longer deal later in the offseason. There are indications they discussed both two-year and three-year extensions before agreeing to a one-year deal.

The Associated Press reports that left-hander Javier Lopez agreed to a one-year deal with Boston worth $1.35 million.

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2009, 04:19:53 pm »

16 days til the Truck leaves Fenway Smiley

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:02 pm »

And for the first time in eight years I WON'T BE THERE TO COVER IT!

Thank God almighty, I'm free at last!!!!

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2009, 08:45:30 am »

but what am I going to do without my live from Maine updates of the truck being packed with baseballs, bats and cups? Goodness me

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2009, 09:03:47 am »

I guess you'll just have to wait until the next day when the Herald posts it on line!

Trust me, this is a good thing.

Well...for me it is!

-Voltaire
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2009, 09:40:46 am »

I guess you'll just have to wait until the next day when the Herald posts it on line!

Trust me, this is a good thing.

Well...for me it is!

When do pitchers and catchers report?
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2009, 09:53:12 am »

Depends on the team.

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2009, 10:50:41 am »

Red Sox pitchers and catchers report on Feb. 12th... WOO HOO It's almost here!

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #266 on: January 23, 2009, 09:11:01 am »

No one will disclose the amount, but Theo confirmed it.  Boston has an offer on the table for Jason Varitek.  It's a fair offer, I would assume it's a one year deal around eight million or so.  The Red Sox have told Jason that he has a home with them - and they hold no grudges if he finds a better deal. 

This is a VERY classy move on Boston's behalf.  "Go find a market for yourself, get your payday.  If you can't, you have a home with us."

For a 37 year old catcher coming off a season where he hit .222 and his defense eroded a lot, eight million is a HUGE contract.

Even if Boston signs a young catcher they said they'll carry three if 'Tek takes the offer after they make a move.

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »

Apparently, Theo and Cashman aren't concerned with the catcher's position. Varitek would be a very poor choice, and who knows if Jorge can even swing a bat more than 300 times a year?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2009, 06:11:34 pm »

What is Varitek waiting for? There are NO other offers because signing him would mean the forfeit of a first rounder. That, and he was terrible last year. How is this not hurting him with his teammates? He is the captain of the team and he is still squabbling over money he doesn't deserve.

Theo has been very patient and generous. Pettitte just went through a salary battle with NY and he got bitchslapped by reality. He should just shut up and sign.

Side note: Mauer will be a free agent after 2010 if the Twins don't lock him up first. How insane do you think THAT bidding war will be?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:38 pm »

Side note: Mauer will be a free agent after 2010 if the Twins don't lock him up first. How insane do you think THAT bidding war will be?

I told the Baseball Gods that if they would just give my Padres a catcher who could throw out the occasional baserunner, I wouldn't ask for anything else for a while. Nick Hundley was delivered unto us, so I am content for now in our backstop. Bonus actually, as I watched Nick's college career at Arizona, and reeeeeally like the kid a lot.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray