Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:49:14 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 99531 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #270 on: January 27, 2009, 08:12:23 am »

Side note: Mauer will be a free agent after 2010 if the Twins don't lock him up first. How insane do you think THAT bidding war will be?

Yankees win that one easily.  They'll trump whatever bid the stinkin lousy Red Sox can put up.  They need catching help as badly as the Red Sox do.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2009, 11:56:12 am »

I would love to see the Yankees lock up Mauer for 15 years and 300 million dollars.

And you know what?  You'll STILL need a catcher after 2011.  Do a little research on Mauer and get back to me.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2009, 12:28:49 pm »

Saw the Sox set a deadline for Tek to accept the deal on the table.

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
landlocked
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2009, 07:54:48 pm »

I'm not much of an autograph guy,but I jumped at the chance to meet Marty Brennaman,the hall of fame announcer for my beloved Cincinnati Reds!

That's Marty,me,and gold glove second baseman Brandon Phillips from left to right.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2009, 08:55:14 am »

That's pretty damned cool.  I would have loved to have known Ken Coleman, my all time favorite broadcaster.

-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:57 am »

Well the Cubs are rumored to be close to a trade to acquire Aaron Heilman from the Mariners,for Ronnie Cedano and a pitching prospect...I finally read something on Cubs pitcher Rich Hill,that seemed to be a dirty word around the Cubs orginization for awhile,I guess he's out of options,and they're trying to trade him....Last year there was talk of him being our 3rd or fourth stating pitcher,to What the hell happened to his confidence,and control...Talk about talant gone awray.

Looks like we're also bringing Paul Bako back for a second round with the Cubs...to Back up Soto...

There is a buzz that Since the Cubs probably have Ricketts (pun intended),they will try to get the ok to add payroll to next years team (2010),and try to trade for Jake Peavy....again...***This sounds alot like Brian Roberts last year...huh..***

on other teams note, does nobody want the Diamond backs money? I think i read like 3 or 4 pitchers have turned down contact offers from them.....

Link to the Cedano for Heilman tade.
http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1000/blog?id=3738908&post=3836128
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2009, 12:30:34 pm »

Appears that Boston is getting pissed that Varitek is taking so long to maul over their offer.  I would too, this is way too long in the tooth.

Boston and Texas has a tentative agreement in place that could be announced as soon as Friday, effectively ending 'Tek's run with Boston.  That deal is Jarrod Saltalamacchia straight up for Clay Buchholz.

Also - from the "things that make you go hmmmmm" files - Boston has opened talks with Adam Dunn.  Interesting.  If you work Dunn into the DH role along with days off for Youkilis as well as days off for Lowell (moving Youk to 3B and Dunn to 1B) he could still see 300AB's for the year. 

-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2009, 12:50:27 pm »

A question on your "things that make you go Hmmm" ,do you think that's because Dunns price has fallen,that Boston is considering him?

Modified to add..
errr We traded Cedano,and Olson for Heilman?  Huh WTF? so we basicly got nothing for Pie....Who we traded to get Olsen...UGGGHHH! Undecided Huh Embarrassed
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3866647
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:56:56 pm by Lil B » Logged
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2009, 01:15:04 pm »

A question on your "things that make you go Hmmm" ,do you think that's because Dunns price has fallen,that Boston is considering him?

I do.  I think Dunn would be wise to sign a one year deal - put up some more big numbers in a tough division and then cash in next year when the market is a little better.

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2009, 03:14:59 pm »

Dunn is a great pickup for one year at around $6 Million. With players like Dunn, they are valuable, but you can't have too many of them. The 1996-2001 Yankees were great because while they always led or almost led the league in walks, they had guys who hit for averages too, that got the runs in.

Nowadays, people look at the .250/40/100 guys and their .390 OBP and say it's okay, and it is, as long as you have some .310 hitters on the team. If not, you get "Oakland scored 3 runs on 2 hits and 9 walks to lose".

Dunn as a 7 or 8 hitter is great.

As far as Salty and Clay goes, I wouldn't do this if I were Texas. Salty is a potential franchise stud for years to come. Young catchers don't grow on trees, it took Texas trading Teixeira just to get him. He is 23, I would hold onto him until he posts 5 straight .210 seasons in a row. Clay is talented, but he isn't a slam dunk and if you are going to trade a guy like Salty, you trade him in a Jake Peavy deal, not prospect for prospect.

Varitek is an asshole. I wouldn't even want him to be captain if I were on his team. Give that to Lowell or Ortiz.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #280 on: January 29, 2009, 09:08:23 am »

Varitek is an asshole. I wouldn't even want him to be captain if I were on his team. Give that to Lowell or Ortiz.

Why is he an asshole?  He's 37 and trying to arrange the last contract of his professional baseball career.  I don't blame him for wanting the best deal possible - but I also don't blame Boston for saying "we're looking elsewhere as of Friday."

And - honestly - Boston basically told him that even if they do trade for a guy like Salty there is still a place for him on the team.

-Voltaire
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #281 on: January 29, 2009, 10:39:08 am »

And - honestly - Boston basically told him that even if they do trade for a guy like Salty there is still a place for him on the team.

Jake Taylor:  "I just wanna let you know that carrying three catchers is... probably... a good idea"

Roger Dorn:  "Jake, I admire the work you've done.  The way you helped that kid with his problem is amazing."

Lou Brown:  "What Roger is trying to say, Jake, is that we're not carrying three catchers.  We'd like you to stick around as a coach."

~ Major League II
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #282 on: January 29, 2009, 10:41:05 am »

^^^

LOL, good one!

-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #283 on: January 30, 2009, 09:51:03 am »

The more I think about this Varitek thing the more it pisses me off.  I'm doing a complete 180 on this guy.

'Tek hit a paltry .220 last year, gunned down something horrific like 1 out of every 1,456 runners that tried to steal on him, has eroding defensive skills, can't catch up to a fastball over 89mph...and turned down arbitration that would have paid him 11 million for this coming season.

Okay, that I could let slide.  He wants to get more than a one year deal and arbitration means almost nothing, Boston could have still cut him during spring training and been on the hook for 10 cents on the dollar for his remaining contract (almost nothing).

But then Boston offers the guy a one year 5 million dollar deal or two year, 9 million dollar deal.  And he's "insulted" by it.

Insulted?!  Excuse fucking me?  You're insulted?Huh

What, exactly, do you bring to the team asshole?  You "handle the pitchers well?"  Really?  Well -- let's see.  I'm a pitcher.  Granted not at your level, but a pitcher.  Four high school state titles, four all state awards, one national title, two honorable mention all American, one second team all American.  I know how to pitch.  I've thrown to one or two catchers in my day.  I can say this with a lot of confidence - the real thing a catcher is good for is making sure the ball doesn't go to the fucking back stop.

These are professional pitchers that know the hitters as well as you do.  Frikkin' assclown.

People in this country are suffering.  Hard workers - people that do their job well are losing their jobs, retirement savings, homes...

You're a shitty ass catcher that sucks the life out of a game every time you come to bat and you're insulted by a five million dollar contract to play a game? 

I could have accepted "I appreciate Boston's offer, I was hoping for something with a little more security."  Or "I think my value is a little higher than that but I understand where Boston is coming from based on my performance the last couple of years."

But "I'm insulted and would rather retire?"

You know what that 'C' on your chest should stand for?  'Cock gobbler.'

Fuck off, Jason Varitek.  Seriously.  Go cheat on your wife or something.  Oh, wait.  You already did that, didn't you?  Whoa is me, I am going through a divorce and have a lot on my mind.  That's why I suck.  Well had you not fucked someone that wasn't your WIFE you wouldn't have gone through that.  Would you?

Rot in hell you piece of shit.  The fans that have cheered for you, and supported you -- the same fans that are now losing their homes and jobs, you know the ones that pay maybe $50,000 a year, deserve better than you and you're "I'm insulted by 5 million" act.

Go away.

-Voltaire
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #284 on: January 30, 2009, 09:57:15 am »

I am kinda surprised about how violently you can turn on a guy you used to vehemently defend.

I mentioned to SportsChick that it would only be a matter of time before she hated Varitek as much as she hates Manny and Johnny Damon.  She told me "no, I doubt it"

I guess we'll see.

Nice rant, Maine.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray