Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:48:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 99539 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #285 on: January 30, 2009, 09:58:41 am »

I am kinda surprised about how violently you can turn on a guy you used to vehemently defend.

Whoa.  Show me one time I've "vehemently" defending Jason Varitek?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #286 on: January 30, 2009, 10:50:28 am »

maybe at some point americans will wake up and just not take this freaking shit anymore. this is not an out of the ordinary example. it is just a reflection of today's america...

in miami, while the city is going into the toilet, the taxpayer foots the bill for a $609 million dollar stadium. jets & giants fans are looking forward to $50,000 psl's just so they have the option of getting season tix, all this while there was a good amount of public financing used to build the new stadium (dallas is going to be the same, maybe more).

unnamed corporate ceo made 10 million this year, plus another 50+ million in exercised options, all while announcing major US layoffs.

have you seen the salaries college football coaches are pulling in lately?? good grief... the budget for one big time school athletic department will exceed $100 million this year alone. all while tuition hikes up 15% year over.

sports is just big corporate business, thats all. it deserves the same amount of scrutiny and public outrage as projected on oil, auto, financial companies, etc... and probably even more so.
Tepop84
« Reply #287 on: January 30, 2009, 10:56:59 am »

It is pretty hilarious how fast boston fans can turn on their players.  I don't know why any player would ever want to play for a boston team.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2009, 11:09:53 am »

^I understand that bandwagon hopping fans find it hard to understand the passion that goes into following a team for a long time.  I am quite sure that you wouldn't be able to name the starting line up of the Devil Rays in the year 2000 without pulling it up on google.  I could.  I know you couldn't.

So ease up on the "Boston fans" thing.  I'll forgive the ignorance behind the comment - especially seeing that you missed the entire nature of the post.

-Voltaire
Tepop84
« Reply #289 on: January 30, 2009, 11:22:50 am »

^I understand that bandwagon hopping fans find it hard to understand the passion that goes into following a team for a long time.  I am quite sure that you wouldn't be able to name the starting line up of the Devil Rays in the year 2000 without pulling it up on google.  I could.  I know you couldn't.

So ease up on the "Boston fans" thing.  I'll forgive the ignorance behind the comment - especially seeing that you missed the entire nature of the post.

LOL great argument champ.  You are right that I couldn't name the Devil Rays 2000 starting line up.  Mostly because I have never liked the Devil Rays, therefore I will ignore the ignorance behind your comment.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2009, 11:29:54 am »

^I actually started to confuse you with a member that isn't a moron, my apologies to tenshot on that one.  My bad.

-Voltaire
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #291 on: January 30, 2009, 11:39:16 am »

I like the direction of dolfan13's post.  He's right. 

In this situation, I can't imagine what MORE Varitek is looking for.  Does he want a long term deal, or more money?  Really, he has to realize that his hitting numbers aren't stellar.  It has always baffled me why Red Sox fans in general were so in love with this guy.  Maybe its just me...
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #292 on: January 30, 2009, 11:40:30 am »

as long as he doesn't come to the marlins i'm cool .. if we wanted a nover the hill catcher we could just sign lo-duca again
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2009, 11:48:16 am »

It has always baffled me why Red Sox fans in general were so in love with this guy.  Maybe its just me...

Generally because of his hard nosed approach to the game.  Always prepared.  Always professional.  He sprints the same way whether he's hit a double or home run.  He always punches in and gets to work.  Boston, after all, is a blue collar town.  Same reason they loved Trot Nixon, a lifetime .270 hitter that wasn't anything special.  The guy played his heart out and fans appreciate that.

The thing that gets me with any athlete is the sense of entitlement.  One of the great things about football contracts is the lack of guaranteed money.  Perform or you're gone.  Varitek is not a five million dollar a year player anymore and his "feeling insulted" by that amount is staggering - especially when the people paying his salary, ultimately the fans (the same people that have been cheering for the guy) are struggling as much as they are.

-Voltaire
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2009, 12:23:17 pm »

Maine - How much of this is Tek and how much is Boras? I am not pulling blame from Tek, this situation is BS (Also remember he declined arbitration which would have paid him somewhere around $10 Mil) but Boras being Boras, I wonder if that's playing into this shitty-ass'd situation.

As for turning on him Brian - there's a difference between Tek, Manny and Damon. Damon bolted for the sworn enemy. Period. End of story. Manny QUIT ON THE TEAM multiple times, the most serious being this last year. It wasn't a matter of turning on him but waking the F up and seeing what was going on.

Tek, as Maine said, is a professional who is always prepared and ready to play. He's been with the Sox for 11 years. This is a shitty situation, but no, I'm not going to turn on him.

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2009, 01:02:59 pm »

Maine - How much of this is Tek and how much is Boras?

Jason is a grown man that can make his own decisions.  I don't think it's right to hide behind an agent.  I say it is 100% Varitek because he is the one that has final say.

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2009, 01:53:48 pm »

I never liked Varitek because he wears a C on his chest for captain. Dunno, always found that annoying. That, and he fought A-Rod with his mask on. Hard to make Alex seem like the manlier of the two during a confrontation, but he succeeded.

Theo has been more than fair with Jason, even letting him try to make more money elsewhere and still have an offer for him. But enough's enough, threatening to sit out a season? You hit .220 and are 37 years old. Be grateful they are offering you so much money and sign the contract.
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2009, 02:25:42 pm »

My bio-dad just called. Said ESPN is reporting on the radio that Tek signed a two year deal - guaranteed for both years. I don't see anything on ESPN.com about it though

Boston.com is reporting it's a one year deal with an option however,
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/01/varitek_sox_agr.html

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2009, 02:36:23 pm »

Crap.

There goes my dream of getting Salty and dumping Buchholz all at once...

-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #299 on: January 30, 2009, 02:42:28 pm »

You know what that 'C' on your chest should stand for?  'Cock gobbler.'

The sign of a great line... Ten years from now, when I see a player come out of a dugout with a C on his chest, I'm STILL going to be laughing at this. Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray