Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:27:36 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Who should the dolphins pick in the next draft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Who should the dolphins pick in the next draft  (Read 28719 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: November 28, 2008, 11:49:02 pm »

i'm bored and feel like talking about next season. What position should the phins concentrate on more in the next draft, so basically what is the biggest need on the team.
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 11:53:16 pm »

Secondary/receivers

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:15:25 am »

Michael Crabtree (how did I get this in before Sunstroke saw the thread?)

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 03:48:41 am »

trade for boldin!!!
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:42:06 am »

trade for boldin!!!
I like the way you think. But assuming that that won't happen, I would say Crabtree, for one, or OSU's #1 Crabtree-like WR., or, a shut down CB.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 01:23:16 pm »

Secondary and O-line, but since the latter can be addressed outside the first round when you're not talking left tackle, I wouldn't mind looking at the offensive skill positions. Yes, even running back.

My greatest concern with spending our first-rounder on a receiver is that there seem to be a lot of first-round receiver busts. From 2000 to 2005 the following receivers were drafted in the first round:

Braylon Edwards (49) - good
Troy Williamson (23) - bust
Mike Williams (7) - bust
Matt Jones (14) - mediocre
Mark Clayton (43) - mediocre
Roddy White (38) - decent

Larry Fitzgerald (72) - good
Roy Williams (59) - decent
Reggie Williams (50) - mediocre
Lee Evans (68) - good
Michael Clayton (42) - mediocre
Michael Jenkins (41) - decent
Rashaun Woods (0) - bust

Charles Rogers (9) - bust
Andre Johnson (81) - good
Bryant Johnson (46) - mediocre

Donte Stallworth (59) - good
Ashley Lelie (57) - decent
Javon Walker (46) - decent

David Terrell (30) - bust
Koren Robinson (66) - mediocre
Rod Gardner (62) - decent
Santana Moss (84) - good
Freddie Mitchell (17) - bust
Reggie Wayne (107) - good

Peter Warrick (60) - decent
Plaxico Burress (122) - good
Travis Taylor (90) - decent
Sylvester Morris (14) - bust
R. Jay Soward (2) - bust

Number of games started (career) is in parentheses.

The 2005 players were really hard to evaluate. It's just too soon to put final labels on them, even with the coarse labeling used (bust, mediocre, decent, good). Matt Jones, for example, looks like a bust in many ways, having started only 14 games in 4 years (not what you want from a first round pick!!). However, he's had a good year this year and started 9 games... so I pushed his grade up a notch to mediocre, but he could still easily break out and become a "decent" or even "good" player.

Similarly, Roddy White has had a really shitty start to his career, but is looking much better this year. If he continues, he could turn out to be worth that first round pick after all. Right now, he's only "decent".

13 players out of 30 graded "bust" or "mediocre", definitely not worth a first round pick. (43%)

8 players graded "good", which is what you really expect of a first round pick. (27%)

Those are pretty bad odds, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:25:20 pm by fyo » Logged
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:33:15 pm »

trade for boldin!!!
I like the way you think. But assuming that that won't happen, I would say Crabtree, for one, or OSU's #1 Crabtree-like WR., or, a shut down CB.

Boldin will not be a Dolphin.  The Cardinals keep saying they're working on a new deal for him.  He'll be wearing Cardinal red for a long time. 

I have to agree with the majority here and say Crabtree..... although if he gets snatched up early, Percy Harvin would be a viable option. 
doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 02:18:56 pm »

how about cornerbacks Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins, certainly a position of need; then they get a WR with one of the round two picks.

Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 202.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
Projected Round (2009): Top 10 Pick.
5/17/08: There's a good chance Malcolm Jenkins would have been drafted in the top 11 if he came out for the 2008 NFL Draft. If he struggles in 2008, he'll be sorry. But for now, he'll be the first corner off the board. I haven't really seen any weaknesses in his game.

2007: Malcolm Jenkins has decided to stay for his senior season at Ohio State.

If Jenkins can run a high 4.3 like some reports indicate he can, he'll easily go off the board in the top 10.

A three-year starter and member of the All-Big Ten First Team, Malcolm Jenkins picked off four passes in 2006.

Vontae Davis*, Illinois
Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
Projected Round (2009): Top 15 Pick.
5/17/08: There's a chance Vontae Davis could surpass Malcolm Jenkins. In his two seasons at Illinois, Davis has registered 128 tackles, five picks and 14 passes broken up.

2007: One of the top players at his position in the 2010 class, Vonate Davis has incredible speed for a big corner. He made an immediate contribution as a true freshman. Through four games in 2007, Davis has two blocked punts.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 02:21:50 pm by doctord56 » Logged

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 02:26:23 pm »

Boldin will not be a Dolphin.  The Cardinals keep saying they're working on a new deal for him.  He'll be wearing Cardinal red for a long time. 

I agree. The great year Warner is having in Arizona will keep Boldin happy for a little while longer - at least long enough to sign a deal. The increase in cap and prospect of a capless year should make it possible to give Boldin a Fitzgerald-like contract.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

I have to go with DB.  Reciever, we'll have Camarillo and Bess next year, but we need depth at the position more than anything else.

I'd use the first 5 picks we have on DBs and use the rest on reciever.  We're bound to hit on at least 3 of them.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 04:08:10 pm »

Hope the Tuna and Co. knows that Miami secondary needs some work.

bsfins
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 05:35:45 pm »

I guess in the Minority...I don't think Crabtree will be there for us to draft...I'd like to see a Dominating Defensive tackle....Fergason isn't getting any younger,Solai will be gone...Starks,and Holiday can play pass rushing Tackle...but Holiday isn't getting any younger either....
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 05:49:15 pm »

Ideally, you take someone in the secondary -- preferably a corner.

I'm a believer that you need the 4 corners -- 2 ends, 2 corners -- that are viable, before you have anything else.

We definitely should not draft a WR.  We just took Ted Ginn, plus that's a position where you can mix and match and "find" talent.  It's not a building block of a team.

I drink your milkshake!
DolFan619
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 05:58:08 pm »

The first pick should be spent on either an OLB, NT, or CB.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 06:26:53 pm »

Ideally, you take someone in the secondary -- preferably a corner.

I'm a believer that you need the 4 corners -- 2 ends, 2 corners -- that are viable, before you have anything else.

We definitely should not draft a WR.  We just took Ted Ginn, plus that's a position where you can mix and match and "find" talent.  It's not a building block of a team.

I would normally agree with you but the 3-4 the Dolphins run definitely needs a big nose tackle for the front 7 to work. I haven't studied the draft and think that if there is a guy there the Dolphins need to pick him. Otherwise a corner.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray