Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:13:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Campaign banners & bumper stickers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Campaign banners & bumper stickers  (Read 5078 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: December 04, 2008, 01:13:35 pm »

I always though posting campaign banners in your yard or bumper stickers on your car was tacky. The house at the front on my neighborhood still has an Obama banner and I even saw a car with Bush on it still the other day. Since I don't like them at all I may be a bad judge but I think both should be gone by now. How long do you think they should be displayed?
bsfins
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 01:52:59 pm »

We have a Local ordinance saying that you have 14 days to remove Banners,Political Ads from your yard from the date of your election....(They mentioned it right after the election,but talk about it's rarely enforced unless someone complains about it)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 02:39:52 pm »

I have an Obama sticker on my car.  I'll leave it until I get tired of looking at it, I guess.

I had a gore sticker on my old car that I left on there until 9-11, when I replaced it with an American flag sticker that I got at 7-11.  It was covering up a crack on my bumper, so I always left a sticker there.

I drink your milkshake!
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »

I don't think they're tacky, but I do wonder how necessary they are.

Does anyone here change their thinking due to a yard sign or bumper sticker?

Are there really people who base their votes on these things?  "I saw a lot of signs and bumper stickers for ______ so he must be worthy of my vote!"

In my area bumper stickers and yard signs provide fodder for some great news stories.  People get tired of having their yard signs or homes vandalized so they set up security cameras or electric fences around them.  Those foolish enough to park their cars with Republican bumper stickers displayed have their cars vandalized so magnetic bumper stickers have become popular.  

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 04:37:07 pm »

Are there really people who base their votes on these things?  "I saw a lot of signs and bumper stickers for ______ so he must be worthy of my vote!"

That is true. 

But I doubt my New England Patriots bumper sticker has any impact on how well Cassel throws or will cause anyone to vote for Moss in the pro-bowl. 

I think most folks put up a candidate yard sign for the same reason some folks have a Dolphin's flag front of their house. 

For this same reason the "winners" tend to keep the signs up longer than the losers.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:12:32 am »

I actually do think that signs and bumper stickers make a difference, especially subconsciously.

It probably increases turnout.
And it verifies your thinking.  I wanted Obama to win.  ...and when I started seeing a crap-ton of Obama bumper stickers down here and very little McCain stuff, I began to take notice and it was energizing.

So, no, I don't think it makes anyone change their mind, but I do think it helps people solidify their choice and increases the chances that they'll show up to vote.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:56:03 am »

^^^ If people need validation from others in order to vote, I am not sure I want them voting.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 11:35:12 am »

^^^ If people need validation from others in order to vote, I am not sure I want them voting.
Amen.

With that kind of thinking I'd be a Seahawks fan.

The "lemming" vote caused a run-off in Georgia.  Since Obama isn't on the run-off ballot the lemmings aren't coming back out to vote and the Democrat is left wondering "WTF?"

I sure hope we didn't elect our leader based on his "je no sais qua" or skin color. 

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 12:02:22 pm »

I generally think bumper stickers on cars at all is tacky.  But that's just me.

My old man still has a Mondale sticker on his car.  Nice call on that one, pops.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 01:17:36 pm »

The "lemming" vote caused a run-off in Georgia.  Since Obama isn't on the run-off ballot the lemmings aren't coming back out to vote and the Democrat is left wondering "WTF?"

Also, Obama didn't go back and campaign in Georgia for the guy.  It would've been too polarizing for him.  But McCain, Palin, etc did.

Plus, it's a largely Republican area.

I drink your milkshake!
DolFan619
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 05:00:31 pm »

Back in 2007, I still saw people with Bush/Cheney 04 stickers on their cars.  Personally, if you had a sign for the losing campaign, the sign should be gone the day after the election.  Your candiate lost,  no sense in still sporting it.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 05:29:12 pm »

Are there really people who base their votes on these things?  "I saw a lot of signs and bumper stickers for ______ so he must be worthy of my vote!"

In my area bumper stickers and yard signs provide fodder for some great news stories.  People get tired of having their yard signs or homes vandalized so they set up security cameras or electric fences around them.  Those foolish enough to park their cars with Republican bumper stickers displayed have their cars vandalized so magnetic bumper stickers have become popular.  

Which area would that be? I am sure there are some people who could say the same things about vehicles that had Obama stickers attached to them.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 07:37:41 pm »

Back in 2007, I still saw people with Bush/Cheney 04 stickers on their cars.  Personally, if you had a sign for the losing campaign, the sign should be gone the day after the election.  Your candiate lost,  no sense in still sporting it.

Talk about being a bandwagon fan.  Did you burn all your Dolphin stuff after they went 1-15?

My parents still had their "George McGovern" sticker on the back of their car when watergate broke and added the "Don't blame me I am from Massachusetts" sticker right next to it.   

Odds are most folks with a McCain/Palin sticker still think they made the right choice and the country made the wrong one. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 07:57:29 pm »

I once saw a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker on a 2006 Prius.  Grin

I was at a fair in September, and the Republicans gave me a McCain/Palin sticker...a small round one. I stuck it on my tripod, and its still there. It will probably stay there because I had forgotten about it until I read this thread, and I've used it several times since I put the sticker on it. I'm not much of a bumper sticker person at all though.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 01:32:08 pm »

Thread bump.

Yesterday I saw a pickup truck (I don't know the year but it was definitely a 20xx) with a Reagan/Busch '84 bumper sticker. I just wanted to pull up to the guy and say WTF, how many of those stickers did you buy back in the day?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray