Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2026, 07:02:45 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Throwing shoes at President Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Throwing shoes at President Bush  (Read 14280 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 28299

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:10:05 am »

This is the hot story of the day.  Apparently, overnight, George W. Bush went to Iraq for some press conference.  In the process, watch what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmt2_wyDKJI

I wonder if this is any indication of how disillusioned and naive George Bush is regarding the state of affairs in Iraq.  He thinks that what's happening there is favored by the Iraqi people, but, apparently, they're less than thrilled.
Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 28299

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:12:38 am »

This is a better video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpeuT1fedfY&NR=1
Logged
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 11671

MaineDolFan
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:22:57 am »

All I could think of was Austin Powers.

"Really man, who throws a shoe?"

This is a funny story but a little scary.  What if that shoe had been a gun?  I'm not wild about George W but I don't want to see any harm come to him.
Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 6445



« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:29:09 am »

well i'm pretty sure they had security checks and searches for guns .. they didn't have shoe detectors
Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15955



« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 11:31:24 am »

I saw it last night and had the same initial reaction as Maine, but then I thought what security checkpoint would ever prevent someone from throwing a shoe? I would have loved to have ehard Bush's response to the incident.
Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 28299

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:32:38 am »

Apparently Bush's only remark was "I can only confirm it was a size 10"

I always thought that each country had different shoe-size scales...?
Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15220



« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

Apparently Bush's only remark was "I can only confirm it was a size 10"

I always thought that each country had different shoe-size scales...?

Since when has Bush been stickler for the truth. 

Seriously I think he was making a joke. 
Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 28299

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 12:19:20 pm »

Since when has Bush been stickler for the truth. 

Seriously I think he was making a joke. 
I'm sure he was...  in other words, he didn't have much to say about it.
Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 17897


cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 12:35:19 pm »

The president told ABC News, "The guy wanted to get on TV and he did."

Bush later joked about the incident, saying all he could report was that it was a size 10.

"It is one way to gain attention," Bush said. "I didn't feel the least bit threatened by it."


Apparently they are trying to find out if he was paid by someone to do it or if he was under the influence of something.  I think it was kind of funny to watch and I don't even dislike Bush!
Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 28299

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 12:40:09 pm »

we were joking at work this morning how awesome it would have been if he'd have caught one shoe in each hand and crushed them into powder.  Or better yet caught the first shoe and heaved it back at the guy instantly, killing him on impact. Wink
Logged
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 3538

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.


« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 12:40:31 pm »

Why didn't he throw the floor mike?  He could have walked up there, asked an insolant question and acted all indignant as only reporters can do, then after he was done, taken the wireless microphone and thrown it at him.  That would have done more damage then a shoe.  

I don't dislike Bush either even though he really pissed me off a couple times, but can't these "random angels of protest" as one publication gleefully refers to them as even protest right anymore?  
Logged

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4930



« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 12:46:43 pm »

Why didn't he throw the floor mike?  He could have walked up there, asked an insolant question and acted all indignant as only reporters can do, then after he was done, taken the wireless microphone and thrown it at him.  That would have done more damage then a shoe.  
 

In Iraqi culture, throwing one's shoe shows contempt.
Logged

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 28299

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 02:26:45 pm »

Let me know if this is accurate:

I'd guess that in Iraq, throwing shoes is about equivalent to giving someone the middle finger in the US.
Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15955



« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 02:38:32 pm »

Throwing shoes if for sissies.
Logged
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4930



« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 03:05:15 pm »

This has been overblown. Educated Arabs don't throw shoes to show contempt or disgust and this guy didn't do it because of some kind of special shoe symbolism. He through the shoes because they were the biggest things he had (pen and notebook aren't quite so dramatic). This particular journalist spent a few days as a captive of one of the militias a couple of years ago and he's almost certainly had friends or family killed during the war. He's had a terribly difficult emotional experience and he's probably come a little unhinged.

I prefer to think he was showing his contempt and disgust in a symbolic gesture. That made the entire incident rock even more.
Logged

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines